Patriot Games scenario

This is a discussion on Patriot Games scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My memory of the Patriot Games scenario is a little distant, but here goes... If the BGs are focused on indiscriminately firing full auto (sheep ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patriot Games scenario

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My memory of the Patriot Games scenario is a little distant, but here goes...

If the BGs are focused on indiscriminately firing full auto (sheep slaughter mode), I think a few semi-auto pops from my pistol might be overlooked.

Good reason to practice medium range head shots. A practiced sheepdog, firing from behind cover, might be like shooting fish in a barrel, although admittedly these fish are pirahnas.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I would not intervine. I would be afraid that I would get shot by the BGs and as I lie there dying, after taking them out of course, the last thing I would ever see would be ....[enter name of liberal anti-gun, anti-war, anti-hunting, anti American politician or useless actor/actress who is not worth risking anything for here].... as he/she steps out of the limo unscathed.
    Ha!! I was thinking the same thing.. That's funny stuff..

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    My first priority is my family. Always.

Very true, and I wholeheartily agree. The rub comes in which form of priority and protection you use. To withdraw and cover the family is to give them priority. Then again, to engage terrorists could also be construed as a priority. Perhaps the next crop of terrorists will think better of their plan, and thus your family remains "safe". Yes, I know I am stretching the scenario out a bit, but many soldiers and patriots have died for the noble cause of "keeping America safe for Democracy" when their family wasn't a direct beneficiary of their actions.

I never served in the armed forces. Too fat to try. My Dad was in Korea, although he was drafted. I don't know much about my family's armed forces service. That said, I sometimes think of the soldiers that went and died for me to sleep well at night. I like to think that I could do the same. I would hate to send my son to war, but I would surely honor his sacrifice, if it came to that. Lets face it, it's a tough world out there. Sometimes our troops will be thinned by the enemy, but it's up to us to keep the enemy contained. In a typical one-on-one self defense situation, the GG has a chance of being killed. In war, there is a chance of the soldier getting killed. In the Patriot Games scenario, ther is a chance of the GG getting killed. Should we shrink from any encounter that is dangerous? Certainly the particular facts of any situation will dictate our response. We all have to know how to pick out fights, and know our limitations.

Once, I discussed with my wife what I would do if I had the opportunity to join the National Guard at my advanced age (39). My wife told me that my responsibility was to my family, not the country. Meaning that NG work was best left to young, unmarried soldiers. But am I not a beneficiary of the NG's labor? Should I not share in the jeopardy? Do I not have an obligation to defend this country, as long as I do not set myself upon a suicide mission? I think I do, and there are few higher callings than stepping up to the plate for your country and your beliefs. I'm old enough to know that I am not immortal. I am also old enough to know what is right. If caught in such a situation, I will evaluate the tactics, and proceed as I feel prudent. As a Christain, I believe that my eternal life is guaranteed, so to lose my earthly life is but a stepping stone. I do not wish for my family to lose me on earth in an untimely manner, but I will not pass on an opportunity to defend my family and my country if I can tactically intervene with a reasonable chance of success and survival. There is a time to fight, and a time to withdraw. The trick is knowing which is which.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    all great thoughts on a crazy situation.

I have noticed that most of the time, the situations I plan for or think about tend to revolve around home invasion, robbery, assault, or other one-on-one criminal acts (which is absolutely necessary), but with terrorism very real in this world, there's always the possibility that one of us may at some point witness a terrorist attack in person. I for one don't want to be taken completely by surprise and have never run though anything similar in my mind, God forbid it ever happens near me. Not so I can be a hero or save the day... rather so that I can make the right choices and stay alive, hopefully with as many other people as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Such a system will stifle any lawsuits against major corporations.
    Hasn't done that in most of the rest of the world, where such a system is used. Yes, a big corporation can throw a lot of money at a case, but they don't because they know that if they lose they'll end up paying all their own costs, and all of the other guys costs as well. Fewer frivolous cases end up in court, and the cases that do go to court are more often decided by what is right rather than by who has the most money to spend on lawyers.

In this country, a big corporation can throw a lot of money at a case and force you to give in, because you know that even though you have a good case and will probably win in the end, the legal costs are going to bankrupt you. Is that really a better way to do it? I don't think so.

British Legal System re Litigation - a clarification

Actually, you are not automatically awarded costs, though it is a frequently used option.

It does bring down the number of frivolous lawsuits, though a few years back, some companies (selling themselves as Legal firms, but actually were just middlemen) tried to get around it by offering 'no-win, no fee' litigation. What the plaintiff actually ended up doing was buying insurance against losing. These companies soon went under, as the frivoulous lawsuits usually lost.

As it stands now, the judge would award costs, if any. The jusdge may rule that both parties cover their own costs, that the loser pay a portion of the costs, or that the loser pay all. However, it is a risk.

Suits against larger companies are not so common as quite often, due to more consumer protection laws, the government will file criminal charges. Hence there tends to be less corporate misconduct, though of course it still exists.

The other thing is that, yes, you COULD lose, and that does make some people reluctant to proceed. But thats not always a bad thing.

This model has worked pretty well overall. I personally believe that people should be a little more accountable for their own actions and safety and not look to everything being someone elses fault. And isnt that what CCW is all about?

Negligence is one thing, but suing gunmakers for the actions of criminals, or bringing lawsuits against car companies because you were too dumb to wear a seatbelt and were ejected in a wreck? Come on.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    Negligence is one thing, but suing gunmakers for the actions of criminals, or bringing lawsuits against car companies because you were too dumb to wear a seatbelt and were ejected in a wreck? Come on.
    Or suing the guy who shot your son for trying to rob him at gunpoint... just for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Or suing the guy who shot your son for trying to rob him at gunpoint... just for example.
    Exactly right!

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Read the book to get more details. In the book Ryan gets patted on the back by many of the Brits and their SAS, at the same time they chastise him for

1. Not seeking proper cover while engaging.

2. Not putting the round into the head of the terrorist he had disarmed and left on the ground.
    My thoughts exactly, glad to see you shed some light on it. The book was so much better than the movie, wasn't it?
    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptable struggle."
    - EDMUND BURKE

http://tacticalhq.org

1) Is the object of their mal-attentions worth risking your life?
    2) Can you "take care of business" and leave, so that you don't become the object of similar attention, in the near future?

For me, it would entirely depend on the nature of the target individual. For families in a mall, yes. For a Statesman-? Not likely, particularly since I wouldn't care to be caught between the killing fanatics trying to assassinate the individual, and the hyped-up protective detail. Just my $0.02....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links