A Blink of Eye @ 7-11

This is a discussion on A Blink of Eye @ 7-11 within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From reading the posted statutes, it would appear to me that if Hot Wings reasonably believed that an aggravated assault was going to take place, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: A Blink of Eye @ 7-11

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    From reading the posted statutes, it would appear to me that if Hot Wings reasonably believed that an aggravated assault was going to take place, he would have been justified to use force up to deadly force. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't have been arrested and faced trial after all it would come down to the interpretation of the word reasonable.

I am glad Hot Wings stood up. I am also glad the bg stood down. We need more people to stand up. We(collective) have allowed the the miscreants in our society to take over. By standing up to them and showing that we will not put up with that type of behavior, we can take our society back.
    accessbob and skew12 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Wink

You did fine OP.

However, the real story here is not the miscreants that are plaguing our society, but that the OP was ordering pizza at 7-11

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The only thing I can think of is agreement that this is an excellent pepper spray situation. It clearly demonstrates that intermediate area of non-lethal force. For those that won't or can't use H2H, it is important to have this type of alternative. Had you had it, you may not have even put your hand on your LCR but gone for it (appropriately) instead.
    phreddy likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    TVJ: "This is a great post for FL law. Reading this, I dont see how you could fire on the perp if he came at you without some type of 'weapon' to create the reasonable fear of aggravated assault. I believe he put down the bottle and stormed out. Moreover, I dont see how you could draw down if he had no weapon and was just coming at you."

The literal translation of the FL statute would allow deadly force: "to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony;" of which some big guy pounding on someone would qualify under the definition of "forcible felony." Nowhere in FL law does it state that deadly force is reserved for defense against weapons only. In a gun against fist situation though, I would expect to have to settle this matter in court, IE, the Zimmerman case. No one except Zimmerman knows what he was thinking while "allegedly" being assaulted, and not being on the jury, it's not my call to pass judgement.

Smart to draw on someone "unarmed"? Probably not. But at what point during a beatdown would a "reasonable person" decide, "This is going too far; this guy may kill me (or cause serious bodily harm)? Perhaps this is one time "an ounce of prevention" (drawing or at least exposing a firearm) would be merited. Again, that may very well be a matter for a jury to decide, and I, for one, hope to avoid that at all costs. Each of us runs a risk of criminal/civil action should we use a firearm in self defense. But I will not die or live the rest of my life as an invalid because of a fear of prosecution. Live now; worry about repercussions later.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    The flexibility of having a non-lethal option is always good.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    That's why I carry my OC spray along with my pistol and a knife. Flexibility.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

mkh
    You could very easily have been seen to be the aggressor here and any self defense arguments by you would have gone out the window.

Sounds like the guy was really making an **s of himself but I don't see why anyone would be in fear of their life here.
    Toorop likes this.

My non-lethal option is a good pair of tennis shoes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    My non-lethal option is a good pair of tennis shoes.
    Yeah, and car keys are a good one as well.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

That is why I started H2H training last February. Not every situation warrants drawing your gun. However, situations can escalate into that grey area where it isn't clear that there is justification to draw your gun (i.e. Zimmerman). I spend more time training H2H (3-4 times a week) than I do with my defensive firearm. The added benefit of all the H2H training is it helps me stay in good physical shape so if i need to escape by running away, I won't get too winded easily. OC is always a good option, especially for those who don't have the time or resources to train H2H quite as often.

Hot wing you did the right thing, but were ready to use the wrong tool. The gun is your last resort, not your first response.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    this is a clear case for pepper spray but all you wanted to do is grab for a gun, would you have been right maybe-maybe not but it would have cost you either way
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes Indeed, When all you have is a hammer every thing looks like a Nail ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I would have never put my hand on my gun.

If he broke the bottle and had his hand on some sharp glass walking towards you, then I would have double tapped his chest.

But you don't handle a fist fight with a gun. Lets grow some. You don't pull unless he has a weapon. Plain and simple. Neither for Linda or yourself. If hes beating on her, punch him in the neck and beat the **** out of him, but never pull your gun if he doesn't have a weapon. Thats just cowardly.

I have a bad back and bad legs. I used to be quite proficient at martial arts, but have forgotten much of it, and am not physically capable of using much of what I do remember. I would not be able to run away, either. If someone comes at me in a menacing manner, I would have no choice but to take it as an attack, and I would have to act accordingly. That being said, I am in full agreement about having pepper spray handy as a first response for any such events. If that doesn't have the desired result, my sidearm will be put to use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links