Dog down ... what would you do.

This is a discussion on Dog down ... what would you do. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not afraid of dogs. I've had dogs charge me, and I've done nothing more than square up with them and make direct eye contact. ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Dog down ... what would you do.

RKM
    I'm not afraid of dogs. I've had dogs charge me, and I've done nothing more than square up with them and make direct eye contact. Dogs hate that. When your young child and a dog you barley know that appears to be dangerous come face to face, you do what you need to do. I'm not saying that THIS was a case, but I do feel that a lot of cases, people prematurely shoot and kill dogs. I'm not afraid of myself being attacked by a dog. I don't feel that it'd be necessary for me to draw on a dog that is charging or attacking me until other options are gone. I"m not fearful of a dog attack. I'm 6'1 and 180lbs. I'm not a giant, but I'm much bigger and stronger than 99% of dogs. Any grown man should be able to beat the crap out of a dog and send it running away with it's tail between it's legs. You will get bit. But, the defense of a child, IMO does deserve immediate lethal force. A child is next to defenseless against a dog.

2. Remove Ads

Hmmm...don't like shootin' dogs.....probably would have interviened with pepper spray or something else.....shooting the dog would have been a last resort for me.
    tundra likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Wow... a lot going on here. Your neighbor is quite the ignoramus, proven by his words to you after you put his dog down. Sorry to say, that dog - having killed domestic animals and 'penned' fowl - has been allowed to get away with feral behavior which is nearly irreversible. I have no doubt that dog would have harmed your son - perhaps not badly, but you were not in a position to wait and see.

Kudos to you for having the spine to talk to your neighbor after the fact. I'm going to guess there was no need to summon the gendarmes - local matter, simply handled.

I hope your son doesn't gain a fear of dogs as a result of this incident... but he will long remember the day that his daddy killed and animal that was going to attack him. That's an object lesson that simply can't come from a book.
    Good job protecting your son! Also, a pat on the back for being responsible and talking with your neighbor.

My daughter remembers vividly the day a neighbor's dog (rottweiler mix) tried to have her for a chew toy and I put him down. There were no physical injuries, but to this day (4 years later) she asks if I have my gun when we go for a walk around the farm. Thankfully, she still loves dogs, but is careful about approaching one she doesn't know.

On a side note, my .22lr Beretta did the job, but he had hold of my pants when I severed his spine with my last round. .22 vs 120+lb rottweiler made me rethink my pocket gun. Now I carry a P3AT around the farm. I always figured the Beretta was just to buy enough time to get to a "real" gun, (i.e. shotgun/rifle) until I was in a situation where to walk the 40ft to the shotgun may have meant my Daughter being harmed.

Be safe,
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I hate that a dog had to be put down... but I know you did what you had to do... and what I would have done in your shoes.

It doesn't matter what breed, Pit Bull or Poodle, if the dog has a history of killing without being controlled by it's owner, and if it were coming for my child, I wouldn't hesitate to do the same.

There's more than one reason to carry a firearm.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member
    ........................,,-~*~,,
    ......................./:.:.:.:.:.|
    ......................|;.;.;.;.;./
    ......................|.;.;.;.;.|
    ............._,,,,,_.).;.;.;.;.|
    .........,,-":.:.:.:."~-,;.;.;.|
    ........(_,,,,---,,_:.:.);.;.;..",,
    ......,-":.:.:.:.:.""-,,/;.;.;.;.;.",
    .....(:.__,,,,,,,,,___);.;.;.;.;.;|
    ...../"":.:.:.:.:.:.:¯""\;.;.;.;.;.,"
    ....\",__,,,,,,,,,,,__/;;;;;;;;;/\
    .....\.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.;.);;;;;;;;;/:\
    .......\,,,,,---~~~~;;;;;;;;,"::::\
    .........."""~~--,,,,,,,,,,-"::::::::::\
    ...................\::::::::::::::::::::::\
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I'm not afraid of dogs. I've had dogs charge me, and I've done nothing more than square up with them and make direct eye contact. Dogs hate that. When your young child and a dog you barley know that appears to be dangerous come face to face, you do what you need to do. I'm not saying that THIS was a case, but I do feel that a lot of cases, people prematurely shoot and kill dogs. I'm not afraid of myself being attacked by a dog. I don't feel that it'd be necessary for me to draw on a dog that is charging or attacking me until other options are gone. I"m not fearful of a dog attack. I'm 6'1 and 180lbs. I'm not a giant, but I'm much bigger and stronger than 99% of dogs. Any grown man should be able to beat the crap out of a dog and send it running away with it's tail between it's legs. You will get bit. But, the defense of a child, IMO does deserve immediate lethal force. A child is next to defenseless against a dog.
    Having trained dogs professionally for about fifteen years, your theory has a few holes in it. Dogs of all makes and models come in five-six distinctive personality types. An aggressive dog, which comprises about ten percent of the population, will become enraged and attack when you eyelock or otherwise challenge it. An untrained biter can clamp down with about 400 psi of bite pressure. A trained German Shepard, about 800+. A Rott, Pit, Neo or other mastiff type, 12-1400. Bones get crushed at well below the 800 psi range. Human body strength is no match for an aggressive dog's bite pressure. Combine that with the speed at which a dog can move, and one's chances against a charging dog aren't favorable.
    tundra, JerryMac and Spirit51 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    As for the original poster's question, I would have done the same thing you did.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    OMG. The neighbor was nonchalant and unconcerned about the whole incident? How about if the worse case scenario had happened and you went to him and said that his dog just mangled your son and he is in a coma in the hospital or dead? Would he have acted concerned? And what about any legal repercussions.

I am glad you and your son are OK. Your family comes first and you need to protect them.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

It stinks that your neighbor put you in that position. He admitted that he knew the dog was a problem, but couldn't handle it. Geezzz... How irresponsible!
    JerryMac likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

You did just fine. I wouldnt have put up with the menacing dog that long. I have signs posted at the edge of my property and on the garage and the back door saying so, especially regarding pitbulls. Glad he was understanding. I wouldnt worry about the black lab, theyre so affable as a breed. I have one myself. Hes great, but unreliable as a guard dog.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Hmmm...don't like shootin' dogs.....probably would have interviened with pepper spray or something else.....shooting the dog would have been a last resort for me.
    even a dog that wants to kill your child?

VIP Member
    That is a terrible story. Very sorry you had to protect your son and you had to kill a dog in front of your young son. It will probably be good for your son in the long run, but very difficult now. ( your son will have a good story in 15 years)

Dog owners must train and contain their own animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Having trained dogs professionally for about fifteen years, your theory has a few holes in it. Dogs of all makes and models come in five-six distinctive personality types. An aggressive dog, which comprises about ten percent of the population, will become enraged and attack when you eyelock or otherwise challenge it. An untrained biter can clamp down with about 400 psi of bite pressure. A trained German Shepard, about 800+. A Rott, Pit, Neo or other mastiff type, 12-1400. Bones get crushed at well below the 800 psi range. Human body strength is no match for an aggressive dog's bite pressure. Combine that with the speed at which a dog can move, and one's chances against a charging dog aren't favorable.
    You beat me to it. But yeah I have GSD that I work with in french ring. I have dressed up as a decoy many of times with police dogs and other competition dogs, even with a neoprene sleeve underneath a bite suit the shear force is enough to put you on your knees were you taking a bite without protection. As for beating the crap out of it, thats easier said than done, mostlikely an untrained dog will just get off the bite and rebite in a different spot. That being said, I dont care if the dog is trained or untrained, a solid bite from a dog is enough to **** your day up.

back to the OP- your neighbor is very inconsiderate..you did what you had to do

VIP Member
    comes back to containing your animal. Since the neighbor failed to do so, a young boy was put in harms way.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    You did just fine. I wouldnt have put up with the menacing dog that long. I have signs posted at the edge of my property and on the garage and the back door saying so, especially regarding pitbulls. Glad he was understanding. I wouldnt worry about the black lab, theyre so affable as a breed. I have one myself. Hes great, but unreliable as a guard dog.
    So... as the owner of a black lab and pit bull cross, is my dog a menacing beast or a friendly lump of fur?

If you're making assumptions about breed here in a forum, I'd hate to see how you react if you see one in person. If they haven't been trained and conditioned to be aggressive, Pibbles are extremely docile and friendly. Just because they have big muscles in their heads does not mean you should react differently than you would any other animal.

Any time I see a four-footed creature of sufficient size to do damage, I look at its demeanor and behavior. I don't care if it's a Rottie, a Pibble, a Lab, or a St Bernard. If it acts aggressive, I will (and have) prepare to draw if I have to, but square my body to it, stand taller, lean forward and raise my chin. All territorial signals to a dog that I don't want trouble, but will not be prey. Every time, the dogs have looked away, lowered their head, and turned their side to me (all submissive behaviors) and did not give me trouble.

On the other hand, if you go into a dog's territory, it will defend its ground in spite of all this (even "affable" labs). From the description in the OP, it sounds like the neighbor allowed the dog(s) to expand their territory beyond his property. While OP's child was on OP's property, because of the irresponsible actions of the dog owner, the dog believed that the kid was in his territory and was defending that ground. It's unfortunate, because responsible actions by the dog owner would have probably prevented the death of a four-footed friend who was just following his instincts. But there was no way that the OP could have done any differently at that point.
    nizachon and tundra like this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links