Dog down ... what would you do. - Page 3

Dog down ... what would you do.

This is a discussion on Dog down ... what would you do. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OP = Actions approved What's with the neighbor though? At least he said that you did what you had to do instead of causing a ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Dog down ... what would you do.

OP = Actions approved

What's with the neighbor though? At least he said that you did what you had to do instead of causing a scene because you shot his dog. It could have been worse but I think he should have a better clue when it comes to dog ownership. One thing's for sure though, I bet your neighbors never chase your son.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

You done good, 3 S's shoot, shovel and shut up.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    You done good, 3 S's shoot, shovel and shut up.
    Other than missing the second and third "S"...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Hmmm...don't like shootin' dogs.....probably would have interviened with pepper spray or something else.....shooting the dog would have been a last resort for me.
    Don't like doing it myself, either. And I'm with you, that I'd also much prefer the OC/PS approach. But in the case of a known dog with a known disposition and long history of doing such things in the neighborhood (particularly confirmed by the dog's owner), and it's bearing down on my own little tyke ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Shoot a dog--no. Shoot a dangerous dog--yes.
    mprp and JerryMac like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    So... as the owner of a black lab and pit bull cross, is my dog a menacing beast or a friendly lump of fur?

If you're making assumptions about breed here in a forum, I'd hate to see how you react if you see one in person. If they haven't been trained and conditioned to be aggressive, Pibbles are extremely docile and friendly. Just because they have big muscles in their heads does not mean you should react differently than you would any other animal.

Any time I see a four-footed creature of sufficient size to do damage, I look at its demeanor and behavior. I don't care if it's a Rottie, a Pibble, a Lab, or a St Bernard. If it acts aggressive, I will (and have) prepare to draw if I have to, but square my body to it, stand taller, lean forward and raise my chin. All territorial signals to a dog that I don't want trouble, but will not be prey. Every time, the dogs have looked away, lowered their head, and turned their side to me (all submissive behaviors) and did not give me trouble.

On the other hand, if you go into a dog's territory, it will defend its ground in spite of all this (even "affable" labs). From the description in the OP, it sounds like the neighbor allowed the dog(s) to expand their territory beyond his property. While OP's child was on OP's property, because of the irresponsible actions of the dog owner, the dog believed that the kid was in his territory and was defending that ground. It's unfortunate, because responsible actions by the dog owner would have probably prevented the death of a four-footed friend who was just following his instincts. But there was no way that the OP could have done any differently at that point.
    When a dog (ill call it that, even if it is a pittbull, just to be diplomatic) turns on its owners friend (me) who used to take him for a weekend here and there and walked him all the time out of the blue and tries to tear a door apart and ends up getting shot, what do you say happened? My buddy has 3 other dogs that never had behavioral or mental deficiencies. Fact is, i took her to the vet and the vet said "this breed will do that. I reccomend that we put her down.". I do not allow pitbulls on my property. It is well known and i have shot one for strutting around my yard after i told it to leave. Youre entitled to your opinion, and i will pray that your dog never mauls you.

Hmmm...don't like shootin' dogs.....probably would have interviened with pepper spray or something else.....shooting the dog would have been a last resort for me.
    Don't forget giving the dog a timeout. Or holding its head while looking into its eyes and sternly saying bad doggie...baaaad doggie.

Michael

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I've used pepper spray on dogs before when I used to do a lot of cycling. It stopped one dog in his tracks. Another dog wasn't even phased by it. One big factor with pepper spray is wind. I don't know if the dog was up wind or down wind of the OP. Since he wasn't using pepper spray, he may not even remember. I could tolerate my eyes burning for a while to avoid killing a dog that really didn't need killing. But I could not tolerate a 3 year-old having burning eyes to spare the life of a dog that needed killing. I agree that pepper spray is great for a lot of situations. But if the OP had used it to repel the dog, he simply would have been delaying the inevitable. I would have done nothing different, except had something bigger than a .22.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    When a dog (ill call it that, even if it is a pittbull, just to be diplomatic) turns on its owners friend (me) who used to take him for a weekend here and there and walked him all the time out of the blue and tries to tear a door apart and ends up getting shot, what do you say happened? My buddy has 3 other dogs that never had behavioral or mental deficiencies. Fact is, i took her to the vet and the vet said "this breed will do that. I reccomend that we put her down.". I do not allow pitbulls on my property. It is well known and i have shot one for strutting around my yard after i told it to leave. Youre entitled to your opinion, and i will pray that your dog never mauls you.
    You know, I've heard the same thing said about any number of groups of people, and it's not any more true then... except it's that much more disgusting when it's done against something that can't speak in its defense. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but that happens all the time with dogs of all breeds.

Of course, people say or have said the same thing about Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Dalmatians, and yes, even Labs. I personally think that any "pure breed" is likely to have emotional and behavioral issues that will lead to events like you describe. It's common that many "purebreed" dogs have extensive inbreeding that lead to behavior problems. When you limit genetic diversity that much, you're bound to have problems. And THAT is what I think happened with your friend's dog.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

VIP Member
    Originally Posted by xXxplosive

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Don't like doing it myself, either. And I'm with you, that I'd also much prefer the OC/PS approach. But in the case of a known dog with a known disposition and long history of doing such things in the neighborhood (particularly confirmed by the dog's owner), and it's bearing down on my own little tyke ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bang!

I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

OD*
    You know, I've heard the same thing said about any number of groups of people, and it's not any more true then... except it's that much more disgusting when it's done against something that can't speak in its defense. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but that happens all the time with dogs of all breeds.

Of course, people say or have said the same thing about Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Dalmatians, and yes, even Labs. I personally think that any "pure breed" is likely to have emotional and behavioral issues that will lead to events like you describe. It's common that many "purebreed" dogs have extensive inbreeding that lead to behavior problems. When you limit genetic diversity that much, you're bound to have problems. And THAT is what I think happened with your friend's dog.
    "....the vet and the vet said "this breed will do that. I reccomend that we put her down."
    If a vet told me that, I'd look for a new vet.

“The brains of Pit Bulls swell and cause them to go crazy”.
    Prior to the boom in Pit Bull popularity, the Doberman Pinscher was rumored to suffer
    from an affliction of the brain in which the skull became too small to
    accommodate a dog’s grey matter. This would, according to the rumor,
    cause the Doberman to go crazy, or “just snap” out of no where and
    attack their owner. This rumor could never be quantified, and indeed had
    no merit whatsoever. Now that the Doberman fad has run its course the
    Pit Bull has inherited the swelling brain myth. It is no truer now than it
    was during the Doberman’s fad days.
    “Pit Bulls ‘turn’ on their owners.” Dogs, as a species, do not perform
    behaviors “just because”. There are always reasons for behavior, and
    when aggression becomes a problem the reasons can be such things as
    improper handling, lack of socialization or training, a misreading of dog
    behavior by the owner, or, rarely, disease. Aggression, when it presents
    in pet dogs, follows specific patterns. First occur warning signs, then
    more warning signs, and finally, when those signs are continually
    ignored or misinterpreted, the dog resorts to using its teeth. When an
    owner is startled by a sudden, aggressive outburst, it is because they
    have been unaware of problems that were brewing. This is true of all
    dogs, not just Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls, indeed no dogs, “turn” on their owners.
    Dr. I. Lerh Brisbin of the University of Georgia (from the ADBA booklet, “Discover the American Pit Bull Terrier.)
    tundra likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but that happens all the time with dogs of all breeds.
    In my experience, I've had ten times the number of biting situations occur with the ankle-biter "yap yap" type breeds, and no more than a few with other, larger breeds. The stereotypical "defense/attack" type breeds seem to avoid me easily enough (perhaps it's my steely-eyed stare), but those "yap yaps" have poked more holes in my legs and hands than I care to remember.

Anti-YapYaps unite! We gotta do somethin' about 'em, before they get outta control ...

And, any way you slice it: in-breeding's rough.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    In my experience, I've had ten times the number of biting situations occur with the ankle-biter "yap yap" type breeds, and no more than a few with other, larger breeds. The stereotypical "defense/attack" type breeds seem to avoid me easily enough (perhaps it's my steely-eyed stare), but those "yap yaps" have poked more holes in my legs and hands than I care to remember.

Anti-YapYaps unite! We gotta do somethin' about 'em, before they get outta control ...

And, any way you slice it: in-breeding's rough.
    I heard somewhere (and have no citation, so I don't know if it's true) that Chihuahuas are more closely related to Foxes than Wolves... which might explain some of their behavior. Also, nobody puts a Lab in a purse... those dogs are just trying to commit suicide by boot heel...

Joking aside, I did hear somewhere that little yappie roden...dogs bite people at about a 10:1 ratio of "normal" sized dogs, but the injuries are so minor that it doesn't get reported as often.

-- John F. Kennedy

You did what needed to be done.

I heard somewhere (and have no citation, so I don't know if it's true) that Chihuahuas are more closely related to Foxes than Wolves... which might explain some of their behavior.
    NOVA has a decent video on Youtube: Dogs Decoded (documentary). It talks about the origins of different species, the "domestication" genes, etc. Can't recall if the Chihuahua was mentioned.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links