Dog down ... what would you do.

This is a discussion on Dog down ... what would you do. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On a side note, modifiedpowerwheels.com Bump that gator up to 18v and the boy could have almost outran the dog. (my 3 year old loves ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Dog down ... what would you do.

On a side note, modifiedpowerwheels.com

Bump that gator up to 18v and the boy could have almost outran the dog.
    (my 3 year old loves her jeep on 18v, soon to be painted and head/taillights added)

Back OT: I would have done the very same thing, but with a .380 or 9mm, cause that's what I would have had on me.
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR22

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The OP seems more concerned about what happened to the dog than the owner was. Maybe we should be discussing the actions of the owner instead of the OP. Michael
    So true, so many people who own dogs, do not take the responsibility of taking the dog in as part of the family, maybe at first, but as the new wears off, they are just a dog. This is only my opinion.The dog forementioned and disposed of, could propably have been a good pet, guard dog, or just a good dog, if not left to be what i called unattended. There is more to owning a dog that buying it food, and giving it water. There is interaction that is so important. Believe me, I did not like doing what I did. I did what i did, because that is what I felt was the only appropriate action for the given moment. Maybe i should have given the owner a knuclesammich after the fact.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post

And, for the record, ANYONE who lays a hand on my pittbull meaning harm had better be ready for all hell to break loose- he is as much my family as he is my pet; and you don't hurt my family without some bad things in your immediate future.
    Bravado.

And, for the record, ANYONE who lays a hand on my pittbull meaning harm had better be ready for all hell to break loose- he is as much my family as he is my pet ...
    Not legally speaking, it's not. Caution.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In this situation, its hard to say exactly what I'd do. I mean, I have two daughters and I would want to defend them, but still, I'm not sure exactly what I'd do. Its really a tough decision when you're in the heat of the moment and your adrenaline's pumping. In a situation like that, would I use my Bersa, or my Springfield XDS? Its really hard to say.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Of course, people say or have said the same thing about Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Dalmatians, and yes, even Labs. I personally think that any "pure breed" is likely to have emotional and behavioral issues that will lead to events like you describe. It's common that many "purebreed" dogs have extensive inbreeding that lead to behavior problems. When you limit genetic diversity that much, you're bound to have problems. And THAT is what I think happened with your friend's dog.[/QUOTE]

In 2011, there were 31 recorded fatal dog attacks . 22 of those were done by PitBulls. I am not a hater of Pit Bulls. I actually like the dogs. However, it's seems so illogical when people say "all breeds" snap, or "any dog" can maim or kill. That's true. But the fact is...Pit Bulls are built to bite and have long been bred to fight. They kill more humans than any other breed by A HUGE MARGIN. If I have to get attacked by a dog, I'd prefer it wasn't a Pit Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by d2jlking View Post
    In 2011, there were 31 recorded fatal dog attacks . 22 of those were done by PitBulls. I am not a hater of Pit Bulls. I actually like the dogs. However, it's seems so illogical when people say "all breeds" snap, or "any dog" can maim or kill. That's true. But the fact is...Pit Bulls are built to bite and have long been bred to fight. They kill more humans than any other breed by A HUGE MARGIN. If I have to get attacked by a dog, I'd prefer it wasn't a Pit Bull.
    There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I'd be very interested in a chart that shows the numbers of dogs by breed, numbers of each breed in fighting arenas, and numbers of human attacks over say 25 years.

I doubt that these numbers are recorded, but I guarantee you'd see a correlation. When Rotties were the "big mean dog", there were more attacks by that breed. When the Doberman was the "junkyard dog", there were more involved in bites. When someone wants a "big mean dog", they get a "big mean dog" pup, tie it up out back, antagonize it and teach it to be territorial and mean. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    tundra likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

My pittbull behaves better than most people's kids. I've only seen him aggressive when another dog was in 'his' territory- my uncle's poodle that tried to mount him when he was laying down, and another dog that got into 'his' yard and started growling trying to run him off. That's it.

I have had one bad pittbull encounter, and that was because the poodle attacked the pittbull. See where this is going? Smaller dogs tend to be more vocal, and more aggressive (my guess is they try to make up for their smaller size by acting bigger). More poodles, chihuahuas, and various other miniature breeds attack than 'full sized' dogs do.

I have had bull-mastiffs, labs, basset hounds, dachshunds, and various terriers more loving than any poodle or chihuahua. Not to mention all the pittbulls that, upon 'meeting' (read smelling) me, have done nothing more 'violent' or 'aggressive' than forcibly crawling into my lap and rolling over insisting that I pet them.

The breed itself isn't typically the problem- it's the owner. Raise your dog like you raise your children- take them out, introduce them to the world, set their boundaries- and let them know where those boundaries are- and you won't have any trouble out of them. With friends, family, or strangers.

And, for the record, ANYONE who lays a hand on my pittbull meaning harm had better be ready for all hell to break loose- he is as much my family as he is my pet; and you don't hurt my family without some bad things in your immediate future.
    I like the quote in the bolded text. I think that is true of all dogs. Pit Bulls, unfortunately, are more likely to cause severe damage, injury or death, then is a Poodle, when they have been improperly trained or raised by their owners. They can't help it. They're built for combat.

If attacked by a human I am only concerned about my safety. I am not concerned at the moment of attack with the attackers home life. How his parents brought him up or if he was beaten as a child. My concern if with my safety first. Why is it so many believe that I should take all of those things into account if instead of being attacked by a human I am attacked by his dog?

Michael
    Brad426 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    If attacked by a human I am only concerned about my safety. I am not concerned at the moment of attack with the attackers home life. How his parents brought him up or if he was beaten as a child. My concern if with my safety first. Why is it so many believe that I should take all of those things into account if instead of being attacked by a human I am attacked by his dog?

Michael
    I don't care what breed, or even species, an animal is. If it attacks me and I feel that it has the size, power, and weapons (tooth, claw, knife, or gun) to do damage, I will defend myself with the the most power and lethality I think is appropriate. I don't care if it's got long hair or short, dark skin/fur or light, two legs or four. It will be stopped by the most efficient means necessary.

What I have a problem with is the above statements that a pibble is "more dangerous" and therefore a threat when behaving in a nonthreatening manner. It's about the same to me as shooting a man because you think he's a threat because of the color of his skin if he hasn't actually threatened you.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I'd be very interested in a chart that shows the numbers of dogs by breed, numbers of each breed in fighting arenas, and numbers of human attacks over say 25 years.

I doubt that these numbers are recorded, but I guarantee you'd see a correlation. When Rotties were the "big mean dog", there were more attacks by that breed. When the Doberman was the "junkyard dog", there were more involved in bites. When someone wants a "big mean dog", they get a "big mean dog" pup, tie it up out back, antagonize it and teach it to be territorial and mean. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    livewire...follow this link for an interesting chart. Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to December 26, 2011 - By Merritt Clifton - DogsBite.org

Short summary. The data spans 1982-2011 approx 30 years.

PitBulls
    Deaths 207 Maimings 1093

Rottweilers
    Deaths 78 Maimings 268

German Sheperds
    Deaths 12 Maimings 54

Dobermans
    Deaths 7 Maimings 7

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    I don't care what breed, or even species, an animal is. If it attacks me and I feel that it has the size, power, and weapons (tooth, claw, knife, or gun) to do damage, I will defend myself ...
    That's my basic standard, too. It's a bite-pressure thing, largely.

I'm perfectly willing to get sliced up a bit with a little yap-yap, prior to my punting it across the street, as opposed to daring to claim a "deadly" attack was in progress. Never have seen someone die from a Yorkie's bite.

But with a dog that has ten times my own bite pressure, an attack from such a dog justifies just a bit more resistance than mere "punting," IMO. And you're right: it matters not what the breed is; attack mode is attack mode, and the degree of reasonable threat is what drives all.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 5th, 2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I thought the Pit Bull debate was as off limits as religion and Zimmerman.

My son has an almost pure bred Pit Bull. She is the sweetest, nicest, loving and obedient doggie I've ever seen. And I wish he'd get rid of her.

'Nuff said.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I thought the Pit Bull debate was as off limits as religion and Zimmerman.

My son has an almost pure bred Pit Bull. She is the sweetest, nicest, loving and obedient doggie I've ever seen. And I wish he'd get rid of her.

'Nuff said.
    Huh... I'm having trouble seeing how you got from point A to point B on that one.
    tundra likes this.

-- John F. Kennedy

Well unfortunately, where I live I'd more than likely be in jail if I did that.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links