Dog down ... what would you do.

This is a discussion on Dog down ... what would you do. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by d2jlking livewire...follow this link for an interesting chart. Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to December 26, 2011 ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 76 to 87 of 87
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Dog down ... what would you do.

  1. #76
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by d2jlking View Post
    livewire...follow this link for an interesting chart. Dog Attack Deaths and Maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to December 26, 2011 - By Merritt Clifton - DogsBite.org

    Short summary. The data spans 1982-2011 approx 30 years.

    PitBulls
    Deaths 207 Maimings 1093

    Rottweilers
    Deaths 78 Maimings 268

    German Sheperds
    Deaths 12 Maimings 54

    Dobermans
    Deaths 7 Maimings 7
    This is all very interesting to read about and discuss. But, does any of it really matter when you believe that you are about to be bitten?

    Michael

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #77
    Member Array d2jlking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This is all very interesting to read about and discuss. But, does any of it really matter when you believe that you are about to be bitten?

    Michael
    If I am the OP. I'm shooting that dog. Hopefully, as accurately as he apparently did. Does it "really matter" what kind of dog is about to bite you? I think so. Certainly not trying to start any off topic argument, tho it may be too late.

  4. #78
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25,755
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This is all very interesting to read about and discuss. But, does any of it really matter when you believe that you are about to be bitten?
    Does the degree of the threat matter, along with the immediacy? As surely with dogs as with any other animal, two-legged or four-. We're duly fearful of crocs/gators, and it ain't because they're ugly. As well, we're far less fearful of bites from yap-yaps. Rightly so. Stats such as this help to fill in the blank beyond what we already suspect: bite pressure and aggressiveness matter.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  5. #79
    Member Array GunTrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Not once did they harm either one, even though both kids would pull their tail and ears and poke them in the eyes and all the other stuff small children do to animals til they know better.
    Just because a dog has never attacked doesn't mean it will never attack.... There's always a first time and when the first time comes against child, hopefully theres's an adult to protect the child. And as soon as the first event occurs, the dog goes down...

  6. #80
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,403
    Sometimes a man's gotta' do what a man's gotta do...

    The dog will not do any more harm and you're still talking with the neighbor...move on with life!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  7. #81
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Does the degree of the threat matter, along with the immediacy? As surely with dogs as with any other animal, two-legged or four-. We're duly fearful of crocs/gators, and it ain't because they're ugly. As well, we're far less fearful of bites from yap-yaps. Rightly so. Stats such as this help to fill in the blank beyond what we already suspect: bite pressure and aggressiveness matter.
    Understood, some animals are greater threats than others. However, I would not fault a person who took whatever action they felt necessary to prevent any animal from harming them. To me the idea that a person about to be bitten should somehow be responsible for knowing how serious the bite might be depending on the breed attacking. that the person should be aware of the animals true intent is placing the responsibility on the wrong party.

    How is my dog coming at you with teeth bared any different than some kid coming at you with a firearm? In either case the owner or parent is going to claim that you did not need to kill them. That they were both just playing and were not really going to hurt you. These animal thread are very similar to the threads where a persons relatives come out complaining that the police should not have shot their boy. That he wasn't really going to shoot the hostages he had taken. That the police should have known what was in his heart and his mind.

    Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; October 6th, 2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

  8. #82
    Member Array d2jlking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Understood, some animals are greater threats than others. However, I would not fault a person who took whatever action they felt necessary to prevent any animal from harming them. To me the idea that a person about to be bitten should somehow be responsible for knowing how serious the bite might be depending on the breed attacking. that the person should be aware of the animals true intent is placing the responsibility on the wrong party.

    How is my dog coming at you with teeth bared any different than some kid coming at you with a firearm? In either case the owner or parent is going to claim that you did not need to kill them. That they were both just playing and were not really going to hurt you. These animal thread are very similar to the threads where a persons relatives come out complaining that the police should not have shot their boy. That he wasn't really going to shoot the hostages he had taken. That the police should have known what was in his heart and his mind.Michael
    agreed.

  9. #83
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25,755
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    How is my dog coming at you with teeth bared any different than some kid coming at you with a firearm?
    One potentially has the ability to kill, while the other (the firearm) most definitely has the ability to kill with ease. It all depends on the size/capability of the dog and the actual threat of death or serious injury. IMO, merely being bitten (as many are suggesting) doesn't necessarily equate to dire threat.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  10. #84
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    One potentially has the ability to kill, while the other (the firearm) most definitely has the ability to kill with ease. It all depends on the size/capability of the dog and the actual threat of death or serious injury. IMO, merely being bitten (as many are suggesting) doesn't necessarily equate to dire threat.
    True it might not be a life threatening threat. Still I would not question your actions if you decided that killing my dog was the best way to prevent it from biting you. Regardless of its size. You have a right not to be bitten. I do not believe that you should be held or restrained by the same rules that might apply if attacked by a human.

    Michael

  11. #85
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25,755
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    True it might not be a life threatening threat. Still I would not question your actions if you decided that killing my dog was the best way to prevent it from biting you. Regardless of its size. You have a right not to be bitten.
    Perhaps you might not question it. But it seems to me that the statues do, with the "reasonable man" and death/injury standards in the use-of-force laws.

    I would suggest that a person doesn't have an all-encompassing, no-holds-barred right to not be bitten. Life's a contact sport. One's going to be bitten by an animal from time to time. A person has every right to stop being bitten, yes, though that doesn't mean one has the right to terminate all risk of biting via killing (as suggested). The right to life and the defense of it, however, is something else. On that we can agree.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  12. #86
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Perhaps you might not question it. But it seems to me that the statues do, with the "reasonable man" and death/injury standards in the use-of-force laws.

    I would suggest that a person doesn't have an all-encompassing, no-holds-barred right to not be bitten. Life's a contact sport. One's going to be bitten by an animal from time to time. A person has every right to stop being bitten, yes, though that doesn't mean one has the right to terminate all risk of biting via killing (as suggested). The right to life and the defense of it, however, is something else. On that we can agree.
    In Oklahoma we have statutes like the one I highlighted but as far as I know they apply to humans. Out here folks still shoot dogs caught running their livestock. Its perfectly legal here. We cannot however shoot humans for running livestock. The standard here are different for humans and dumb animals.

    Michael

  13. #87
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    Never under estimate a dog. I've had my fair share of run-ins due to the nature of my job. One incident really stuck with me. I had finished up and was heading back outside to load up the truck when a big freakin' pit bull squared off with me in the hallway on the way out. I managed to beat him to the door and figured I was good. He had a doggie door on the other side of the house. I was at the back of the truck when I saw him round the corner. I took off across the yard, tools flying out of my toolbelt, and wound up on top of a corral fence. I looked up and saw the lady's husband come running out of the barn with his rifle. He got it shouldered about the time that she got to the dog. If I had been carrying that day, I'd have put that dog down in a heart beat. The husband told me I should have run a little further so that he would have had time to get the shot off. Apparently he didn't care for the dog either.

    Some people just don't realize what they're dog is capable of, and others just don't care. You did good, IMO.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ammunition put dog down
,
eyelock dog
,

neighbor speeds by my kid

,
what richmond vet will put a dog down for behavioral issues
Click on a term to search for related topics.