Dog down ... what would you do.

This is a discussion on Dog down ... what would you do. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday when outside with my 3 year old son, I was piddling with my motorcycle n he was riding his 12 volt gator, the neighbor ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Dog down ... what would you do.

Yesterday when outside with my 3 year old son, I was piddling with my motorcycle n he was riding his 12 volt gator, the neighbor who lives kinda close and across the road, has, ''had'' a brown mixed dog, that he lets run loose, I have had the dog bristle up and growl at me on a couple of occasions. He has killed off several cats n kittens and a couple of chickens i know of.
    I said something to the neighbor, who is a ''friend'' about the dog, and he kinda blows it off, untill he saw my son, riding the gator, and i was angled between the two, by the shed. I heard him barking, and in my mind i knew what was about to happen....and sure enough he was about half speed going towards my son on his gator, which runs pretty good....i immediatly drew my buckmark, which i carry outside most of the time, in an oc holster.
    Ran to where my son was coming around the corner of the building and the dog was about 25 yards and coming. I did not hesitate, even thought the dog seemed to slow when he saw me, my mentality was, no more......those who doubt the stopping power of a 22 long rifle hollow point, has never put 10 shots where they need to go, i dispathced the dog in pretty short order, and it freaked my boy out a little. but not near as much as the dog would have had he chomped on him.
    Then after taking him inside, to the wife, and calming him down, I went back outside for the task of going to the neighbors and telling him the story. His answer, you did what you had to do, i was getting worried about the dog, just did not have the heart to do it myself. That peed me off....and told him if he ever had any doubts about any of his other dogs, to take them off or call me, this is something that will not be tolerated.
    Would the dog have stopped after seeing me and went away, maybe, but to me, that would have just been putting off the inevitable. I feel I done the right thing, and did not hesitate to tell the owner. He has a black lab that is as friendly as they come, and as long as he stays that way, all is fine, but i will not hesitate if I feel my family or myself is in dager of being bit by an animal, 2 legged or four.
    TSKnight, darbo, mano3 and 9 others like this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I went back outside for the task of going to the neighbors and telling him the story. His answer, you did what you had to do, i was getting worried about the dog, just did not have the heart to do it myself.
    I can't believe the mentality of some folks. He actually admitted that he had questions about the dog but he still let it run loose. There is no difference between what he did and a person who blindly shoots into a crowd.

Michael

Good work. Exactly what I would have done. No telling what would have happened if you weren't around.

Wow... a lot going on here. Your neighbor is quite the ignoramus, proven by his words to you after you put his dog down. Sorry to say, that dog - having killed domestic animals and 'penned' fowl - has been allowed to get away with feral behavior which is nearly irreversible. I have no doubt that dog would have harmed your son - perhaps not badly, but you were not in a position to wait and see.

Kudos to you for having the spine to talk to your neighbor after the fact. I'm going to guess there was no need to summon the gendarmes - local matter, simply handled.

I hope your son doesn't gain a fear of dogs as a result of this incident... but he will long remember the day that his daddy killed and animal that was going to attack him. That's an object lesson that simply can't come from a book.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Seems to me, you did just fine.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

You did what you had to do. Good job. Your neighbor is an *Anal Orifice.* He suspected that the dog could be dangerous but didn't care enough to do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    Yesterday when outside with my 3 year old son, I was piddling with my motorcycle n he was riding his 12 volt gator, the neighbor who lives kinda close and across the road, has, ''had'' a brown mixed dog, that he lets run loose, I have had the dog bristle up and growl at me on a couple of occasions. He has killed off several cats n kittens and a couple of chickens i know of.
    I said something to the neighbor, who is a ''friend'' about the dog, and he kinda blows it off, untill he saw my son, riding the gator, and i was angled between the two, by the shed. I heard him barking, and in my mind i knew what was about to happen....and sure enough he was about half speed going towards my son on his gator, which runs pretty good....i immediatly drew my buckmark, which i carry outside most of the time, in an oc holster.
    Ran to where my son was coming around the corner of the building and the dog was about 25 yards and coming. I did not hesitate, even thought the dog seemed to slow when he saw me, my mentality was, no more......those who doubt the stopping power of a 22 long rifle hollow point, has never put 10 shots where they need to go, i dispathced the dog in pretty short order, and it freaked my boy out a little. but not near as much as the dog would have had he chomped on him.
    Then after taking him inside, to the wife, and calming him down, I went back outside for the task of going to the neighbors and telling him the story. His answer, you did what you had to do, i was getting worried about the dog, just did not have the heart to do it myself. That peed me off....and told him if he ever had any doubts about any of his other dogs, to take them off or call me, this is something that will not be tolerated.
    Would the dog have stopped after seeing me and went away, maybe, but to me, that would have just been putting off the inevitable. I feel I done the right thing, and did not hesitate to tell the owner. He has a black lab that is as friendly as they come, and as long as he stays that way, all is fine, but i will not hesitate if I feel my family or myself is in dager of being bit by an animal, 2 legged or four.
    great job, I would also say call the police on this guy for not controling his dogs. He should not be allowed to have them if he is so careless.
    phreddy likes this.

Scary.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I live in a rural area. My "next door" neighbor insists on feeding all the wild cats from the woods. There is seriously 20 cats of all different ages and flavors in her yard at any given time.

I have two pit bulls. One of the many times these wild cats had kittens, my dogs killed the whole litter when they were born on our property . Does that make them monsters? They've been around my son since he was a baby. Same with my niece. Not once did they harm either one, even though both kids would pull their tail and ears and poke them in the eyes and all the other stuff small children do to animals til they know better.

When the kids play in the yard, the dogs run full speed at them and.... lick them in hopes of being petted and loved on.

So I guess what I'm wondering is: does the dog have a history of attacking people? Just because he had attacked another animal doesn't mean he was charging at you guys to chomp on you.

Of course, I wasn't there so...
    Sent from my palm device
    tundra likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

If I knew a dog to be a threat, had known its deadly recent history, and saw it approaching my 3yr old child, you can bet I'd do much as you did.

Good job, with identifying a clear threat and taking steps to halt its direct advance on your child.

A bit risky in the 'burbs of any major left-leaning city, perhaps, but IMO still the right thing to do.

Glad to see the neighbor agreed. A bit ridiculous that he knew full well the threat his dog was (and has been), though he failed to take appropriate steps to keep it from being a killer. He gets a nod, for recognizing the need and agreeing with you that it had to be done.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Dog down...what would I do?

Other than what you said you already have done, I'd clean the Buckmark.

It's sad the dog had to pay the price for ignorant/irresponsible owners. You justifiably fixed the symptom but the primary complain remains. I don't see any reason this guy's next canine (or kid for that matter) will turn out any different. This guy is a weak leader...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "those who doubt the stopping power of a 22 long rifle hollow point, has never put 10 shots where they need to go"

No further comment needed.
    tricolordad likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    Dog down...what would I do?

Other than what you said you already have done, I'd clean the Buckmark.
    So, for doing a good job, you'd sentence the guy to a week of hard labor?

I think you did good; not the ideal outcome, but good that your son didn't get hurt.

From what I've heard, I'd wait a few more boxes of ammo before cleaning the Buckmark.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Any father who had the opportunity should do exactly what you did. There is nothing other than god that is more important than my children. I would have done the same exact thing had a dog been bearing down on my 4 or 1 year old.

Great job.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links