Bears in town

This is a discussion on Bears in town within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat 53 bears in town tonight! I was waiting for that one...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Bears in town

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    53 bears in town tonight!
    I was waiting for that one

2. Remove Ads

We're at least 200 miles away from the nearest bears but if one shows up with evil intent, the .405 Winchester Model 1895 is more than equal to the chore, no matter his size.

If he behaved himself though I'd be interested in just watching him.
    Rock and Glock and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

What "kind" of bear ..... black bear, brown , ???

Black bear, which I've been around a lot... my preference is along with others..... for me 1) 30-30 lever action , 2) shotgun with slug, But, if I have a handgun, I carry a .357 180 gr bear load and would be comfortable.... although I may have to let the bear get closer than I would like. You can "bluff" a black bear too... if there are no cubs and he isn't starving, and if you appear to much of a fight and too much trouble, he'll go on and try to find something easier to eat.

I think the .40 cal would do the job, if you hit it in the right areas. I would NOT be using any HP ammo ... I would want some good penetration.

A brown bear, I'ld stick with a 30-06 and a good scope, and hope he was at least 200 yrds away from me. My Ex (when we had run into a couple of brown bear) said ... "you didn't seem to worried, how come " .... and I told her ... "I can run faster than you can".
    ws76133 and 9mmspecial like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

You're mean, Eagleks, you are!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If you are going to be shooting bears in the town (Boulder?), I would use a shotgun (12 guage). Save the rifle for when you are in a rural area. Shotgun won't carry far. In Va you had to use a shotgun in certian counties and they required buckshot. It worked. There are no brown (Griz) bears in CO. but blacks have a been known to have a brown coat.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Oh no...Packer fans. Sigh........
    Bears in town ( last night) no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks Clay

I don't know about you, but when I lived in the high country of Colorado, we used to get black bears on our back porch every so often. They ran off when my wife screamed. SO I think you are OK with a 40 cal, but I would feel safer with my 30/30.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    Bears always in the garbage a few hours north of here. Like in Greenbay.

A 12 ga with slugs. Leave the oo buck at home! Buck shot is illegal to use on bear here in NH for a reason! It does not work very well past a very short distance. A bear is a tough animal and you do not want to mess around. I assume that you are talking about a self defense or duty dispatch type of scenario. I would think that you would be within 100 yrds or less. A 30 + cal rifle is nice if you are going on a bear hunt and think you might be getting shots past 100 yrds or so. I have a 35 Whelen for just such a thing but for around town I would stick with the slug gun. If you still want the pistol option I would use soft points for better penetration or use this as an excuse to buy a new hand gun ( 454 Casull, 44 Mag, ect ) . NH

My mistake, black bears......

Im in Southwest Colorado. I have long guns in my patrol car. Im more thinking about hiking and camping. Every night we get calls of bears in campgrounds, in town behind businesses, and in peoples homes.

My main question is, if i were on duty or off, separated from my long guns and startled a bear how effective would my .40 be. Ive always got an m&p .40 on me or close by.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

It might work but my hiking gun is a .44 magnum. Be prepared to fire a lot of rounds of .40 and don't use hollow points.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

With the proper round choice most black bears can be taken down with a .40, but I would prefer more penetration to larger diameter for a trail gun. There is no reason to think that a .357 mag would not kill most black bears.

Bigger is always better though.

I'm just waiting to see what the prices of Chicago Bear steaks is. What a slaughter last night.

Unless you have the hydrostatic shock from a slug or BIG bore rifle, you need to hit it in the brain or spine. Preferrably nape of the neck.

A slug may not drop it from shock so its best to aim at the neck or spine anyways. Any other shot placement will cause it to die from bleeding. Think deer hunters with highpowers. Even with a chest shot, the deer often runs a mile away and eventually dies from bleeding out.

I recommend the slug over the buckshot as you have a decent chance of the hydrostatic shock snapping his spine if you hit low. A 40cal WILL penetrate the hide and shatter the spine.

If it were me, I would make noise everywhere I went. They are only animals. Only would I shoot, if he knew I was there and kept walking towards me. Like, if he didn't turn and move away from your path; showing clearly that YOU are the dominant one. (SEE PIC) Bears that do not give the right of way have the potential to be problem bears and you may just be preventing a mauling.

Understand though, that ballistics can tell if he was charging you or if it was a side shot, etc. They WILL check. I am not an attorney ;)

Untitled.png

Like I said, unless you have a spine/head hit, he will have enough oxygen in his blood for his muscles/brain to continue to function for at least 20 seconds. Even if you hit his heart/lungs. More oxygen if you are seen and he is in fight/flight mode because he just took a big breath before you shot. 10 rounds will still take a while for him to bleed out.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    What about Bear Spray?

HowStuffWorks "Bear Spray Effectiveness"

Personally, I would feel more comfortable using a Bear Spray canister than a handgun against a black or brown. Bear spray is a PROVEN technique. It even has a better record than firearm defense against bears.

I think a 40 or 45 may get the job done on a small bear. But, you get a 500-600lb bruin I'd want Bear Spray; OR 12ga with slugs at the very least.

-

I lived in Alaska for 8 years, and have had many close encounters with Brown/Grizzly Bears while fishing wilderness rivers. IMO no handgun round is a good defense against an attacking bear. I guarantee it will feel like a pea shooter in your hands. That being said, I'd sure rather have one in play than throwing rocks.

If you have to shoot, shoot well and keep shooting until the bear goes down. I'd probably shoot all 15 rounds, and then reload for more

I have some friends that shot a Grizzly with a 30:06 rifle that then jammed and became inoperable. They were concealed and began to shoot at the bear with a .357 magnum from about 60 yards. They hit it over 20 times. Eventually the bear died. When they skinned it, they discovered that not a single round from the handgun had penetrated vitals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links