Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue - Page 2

Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue

This is a discussion on Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IF you do decide to help her DEFINITELY the gloves and YOUR own witness as to what you do....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue

IF you do decide to help her DEFINITELY the gloves and YOUR own witness as to what you do.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    If you choose to help her, use gloves so that she doesn't frame you for murder.

I'd help her.
    I was thinking similarly. OK, not necessarily framed for murder, but I wouldn't want my fingerprints on it. Other than that bit of caution, if they are more to me than just casual neighbors then yes, I would unload it for her. I do like the idea of having a third party with you, just to avoid any potential issue down the road.

VIP Member
    He finds out you were over at her house, then he may think YOU were part of their marital problem. I'm sure one who likes to help others, but there are lots of times when you have to look out for yourself. Be careful.
    BugDude and BkCo1 like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    He finds out you were over at her house, then he may think YOU were part of their marital problem. I'm sure one who likes to help others, but there are lots of times when you have to look out for yourself. Be careful.
    That's exactly why I would want someone else there as well. I agree about being careful, whatever you decide.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    The children shouldn't have safe access, so just lock the safe. NBD. It is not like he left it on the kitchen table with one in the chamber, if I read correct, it was left in the safe. What's the problem or issue? Close safe, lock safe.

If she is that uncomfortable with the weapon, she needs to call police and explain the situation and have them remove the weapon from the house.

I would NOT go into her home and touch another firearm.

As already stated, why would the guy leave the gun and take the cash? Could be hot, or have been used in a crime,...

I applaud you for wanting to help her. And its sad to see a potentially ugly situation with children involved, they didn't ask to be there or in that situation.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe it IS best if the police or a family member removes the weapon. He already up and left on the spur of the moment with cash that might have been a shared possession (theft?) and these things can get VERY emotional. Perhaps the weapon SHOULD be removed, even if just temporarily?
    ccw9mm likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

This is what I would do. I work in law enforcement and deal with this everyday. I had a family member from my wife side call me and wanted me to come and take possession of a revolver that belonged to her ex boyfriend. I asked her if she knows the history of the gun and she said no. Although I work in law enforcement, the area which this relative lived in was not in my jurisdiction but I called another law enforcement officer and friend who worked in her jurisdiction and I brought him. She let us in and I introduced her to my friend and told her he works in the area. She explained that her boyfriend left her and ran off with another person and left half of his clothes and his 38 Colt Agent revolver. She is also not familiar with guns and wants it out. My friend took the gun and called his coworkers to take possession while she filled out paperwork relinquishing the gun. That is what I would do.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Call Police to handle, For multiple reasons:

1) Your prints are not on gun
    2) Estranged husband won't think you are messing with his old lady
    3) Police will have a record of the call and situation in case something goes down later
    4) You are not inadvertantly or indirectly pulled into their crap tornado.

The police are typically happy to help if she calls and says, "There is a loaded gun at home and I have children and do not feel safe with it in this condition. Can someone knowledgable of these things please come and unload it and make sure it is safe and secured?" They may have a training guy at a desk job that could come do it without taking patrol resources out of circulation.
    ccw9mm, pittypat21 and rottkeeper like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Call Police to handle, For multiple reasons:

1) Your prints are not on gun
    2) Estranged husband won't think you are messing with his old lady
    3) Police will have a record of the call and situation in case something goes down later
    4) You are not inadvertantly or indirectly pulled into their crap tornado.

The police are typically happy to help if she calls and says, "There is a loaded gun at home and I have children and do not feel safe with it in this condition. Can someone knowledgable of these things please come and unload it and make sure it is safe and secured?" They may have a training guy at a desk job that could come do it without taking patrol resources out of circulation.
    Absolutely

Sure I'll be right over,How come your holding the gun..bang bang...911 whats ur emergency,my husband just shot the neighbor and took off......I should write whodidit books
    BugDude likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Are you kidding me? You have to ask what to do on the net?

Man up and go help your neighbor. She asked you for help in a matter she knew nothing about, so go do it. Bring your wife with you just to avoid any appearance of impropriety and get it done. Show her how to unload and demonstrate it a few times. Lock the gun back in the safe.

It aint rocket surgery.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    Are you kidding me? You have to ask what to do on the net?
    Wow- I kinda thought that was the purpose of this website. Being an engineer, I will gladly do some "rocket surgery" level thinking before stepping on potential land mine.

One thing I know for sure is that domestic issues are potentially very serious, and not something I want to get involved with unless absolutely necessary. I have heard many LEOs discuss the high stress level on domestic calls, with complicated tensions potentially YEARS in the making.

My main question was that whether unloading and handling the gun was "over the line" for involvement such an issue. So far, we only know one side of the story- who knows what is actually going on. Considering that my kids play with their kids almost everyday, I want to do nothing that could potentially cause a hostile reaction from next door.

To clarify one point, the neighbor told my wife about the gun this afternoon, stating that she "might" want my help. This was before I got home from work. I fully expected the door bell to ring sometime after dinner, but it did not.

Thank you to everybody for providing quality input.

Hunter

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Think about it.... If you have to consider wearing gloves so as to not leave fingerprints--you don't need to touch the gun at all! Leave this one up to the police.
    Ghettokracker71 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    "Ma'am, I'm real busy washing my hair and doing my nails, then I have to take the engine out of my car before lunch. Close the safe and lock it. Sorry about your trouble, have a great day."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Stay out of it.

VIP Member
    Cal 911 and be a good witness.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links