Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue

This is a discussion on Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; UNDER NO CONDITIONS GO INTO THAT HOUSE ALONE. Bring your wife along if you decide to unload/safe the gun. Or just slam the safe door ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue

UNDER NO CONDITIONS GO INTO THAT HOUSE ALONE. Bring your wife along if you decide to unload/safe the gun. Or just slam the safe door and spin the lock. Better yet, tell her to close the safe door.
    revldm likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Tell her to call a friend, or the police to unload the weapon or tell her to lock the safe with the gun inside then MYOB.

EDIT: The reason why I don't want to touch the gun is for two reasons:
    1. Don't want to get involved at all. MYOB
    2. I think it is strange he takes the money and not the gun. Something don't smell right.
    If my wife wanted out the guns would be the first thing I'd take lol. In all seriousness though, for the reason mentioned above, I wouldnt want my prints on the gun. I understand that she feels unsafe and dosnt want to risk the kids but she can lock the safe and let the PD check it out. Going back to my first statement, I would take my guns, taking the money and leaving that behind just dosnt make sense outside of some motive.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Greetings!

This issue has just shown-up this evening...

Our neighbors rent the house immediately next door. The family consists of the couple and two young boys (4 and 8), and we are very friendly with both parents. Today, the wife informed the husband that she wants a divorce due to his extremely poor financial management skills (multiple bankruptcies, wasting money, failing businesses, etc). On his way to work, the husband cleared out the $2,000 from the house safe, but waived to my spouse like nothing was wrong when he drove away. According to the wife, he left a semi-auto pistol unsecured in the safe, and she would like me to come over and unload/separate the ammo for the kids safety. She is NOT a shooter.

Should I become involved and assist her in this fashion? Under no circumstances will take custody of the pistol, just unload it for her.

I don't want to become intertwined in their issues.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Hunter
    I was thrown into a situation very similar to this. Your best bet is to stay clear of it. When one becomes mad, because you helped the other, you will become a target. Stay as far away as you can. If you do this one thing, your involved....Maybe not in your mind, but in his, and hers you are...DO NOT DO ANYTHING.....
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Well, he is home from work now. We will see what happens.
    Luckily, we are going camping today, so I won't be around to provide assistance.
    Thanks everybody!
    BkCo1 likes this.

Just call the police and tell her to bring the kids out side and play with them until the police get there.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I would just tell her to close the safe again...
    Hakkaa päälle!

VIP Member
    Hopefully when he came home from work, he did the right thing.

Glad you were considerate enough to try and figure out what to do.
    Hopefully their situation is innocuous and they will be alright, and be able to muddle through it in a civil manner.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Are you not glad you didn't rush over? Sometimes it is best to wait before acting. Have a good weekend..
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I agree if she wants it unloaded and is scared to do it, I would do it for her. I wouldn't take possession of it like you said. Granted, if it's locked in the safe - I don't see where the kids' safety comes into play but it would make her feel better about it, she sounds nervous about having it.

I'd probably offer to take her to the range if she decides she wants to learn to use it since she will be alone with the kids from now on.
    Right .. and then get accused of sleeping with this mans wife because you spent time with her.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'd clear it for her and then leave immediately. No pleasantries. From there on out I'd mind my own business and leave it be.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

How about she close the door on the safe, give the dial a spin and problem solved. She doesn't have to touch the gun and now it is securely tucked away inside the safe, where it belongs.

Getting involved in anyone's divorce issues is a no win proposition for you, who is considered to be an outsider. Next thing you know, you'll be accused of having a romantic relationship with her. You don't want that creeping around your marriage.
    45ACP4ever and Geronimo45 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree with many others ... unless the kids know the combination to the safe, tell her to shut the door, spin the dial to lock and call it "secure". No need to get involved beyond that.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    How do you know she's not the one with problems? Just sayin! Nothing can get you shot quicker than inserting yourself in a domestic, specialty when there are going to be custody issues. I would be very, very careful.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Right .. and then get accused of sleeping with this mans wife because you spent time with her.

Sent from my palm device
    IIRC, Lish is a female. Your concern would be very valid for guys, maybe not so much for gals. Of course in this day and age, I suppose any accusations could be made, it's veracity may be irrelevant ...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

At first I thought , sure I would help out. then I thought of all that could go wrong. If you do help out then you do not go over there alone. take a good witness with you and do not stay after the job is done . People going through a divorce love to chat about the other person and tell how evil they are.The answer to the question is clear, just tell her to shut the safe door.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links