Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue

This is a discussion on Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with the guy above, just tell her to shut the safe. And or secure the gun on her own, careful not to touch ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue

I agree with the guy above, just tell her to shut the safe. And or secure the gun on her own, careful not to touch the trigger. That's it.

2. Remove Ads

I smell some next door neighbors becoming involved in divorce proceedings, willing or not.

Staying neutral and minding my own business with non family has served me well so far in life.

Leaving a loaded accessible handgun around children is a big NO NO and I'm sure the judge and divorce lawyers would use that information. Being a potential safety issue to the children, I would feel bad if something did happen. That said, not being an immediate threat, I most likely would refer your neighbor to local law enforcement to safely clear and secure the weapon.

But... That's not going to look good in court when they're fighting for custody, etc.

You might be getting yourself into a catch 22 situation if you become involved? Good luck!
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Are you kidding me? You have to ask what to do on the net?

Man up and go help your neighbor. She asked you for help in a matter she knew nothing about, so go do it. Bring your wife with you just to avoid any appearance of impropriety and get it done. Show her how to unload and demonstrate it a few times. Lock the gun back in the safe.

It aint rocket surgery.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This. No need to over complicate it.
    Arborigine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    That sounds more involved than telling her to lock the safe and call LE if she wants the gun safely stored

Why would you think it is a good idea to teach her anything, ecsoecially unloading the gun a few times? If someone already went over there to unload it?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    That sounds more involved than telling her to lock the safe and call LE if she wants the gun safely stored

Why would you think it is a good idea to teach her anything, ecsoecially unloading the gun a few times? If someone already went over there to unload it?
    I was referring to the thought process. A neighbor who has a safety concern with a matter she knows nothing about asks for assistance. For God's sake just unload the darned gun for her. Take your wife there with you. We don't need the Swat Team for this one.

I was referring to the thought process. A neighbor who has a safety concern with a matter she knows nothing about asks for assistance. For God's sake just unload the darned gun for her. Take your wife there with you. We don't need the Swat Team for this one.
    Dont take this the wrong way, but, this is something not to be messed with. Another mans gun, another mans soon to be EX, its not worth the headache. If you have not been thru a divorce, you really do not understand the range of feelings each party will have.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Dont take this the wrong way, but, this is something not to be messed with. Another mans gun, another mans soon to be EX, its not worth the headache. If you have not been thru a divorce, you really do not understand the range of feelings each party will have.
    It's true I have never been through a divorce. It just seemed to me that some here were over thinking this thing.
    d2jlking likes this.

I still think it is odd he took the money and not the gun......what have we said on this forum:if it don't smell right.....
    I can see so many things going wrong with this one. Hubby comes home while you are there with his gun in your hand is at the top of the list. As far as thought process, tell her to lock the safe...
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

She has not trained on the weapon. She needs to change the combination to the safe and let it be.

It's true I have never been through a divorce. It just seemed to me that some here were over thinking this thing.
    Divorce is a evil son of a gun. People that once loved now hate, and will do anything to destroy the other. If you get involved, you will be a target as well. Thats why I said leave it be, and let them handle it. The OP could find himself in the same situation I did, and I just wanted to spare him that....Nothing is ever simple in a divorce. My parents went thru it, I went thru it with my first wife. The only good that comes out of it, is a new start.....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Divorce is a evil son of a gun. People that once loved now hate, and will do anything to destroy the other. If you get involved, you will be a target as well. Thats why I said leave it be, and let them handle it. The OP could find himself in the same situation I did, and I just wanted to spare him that....Nothing is ever simple in a divorce. My parents went thru it, I went thru it with my first wife. The only good that comes out of it, is a new start.....
    I've been married to the same girl for 45 years now. She told me yesterday that she has decided to keep me around so, if my luck holds I'll never experience the pain of divorce.

I've been married to the same girl for 45 years now. She told me yesterday that she has decided to keep me around so, if my luck holds I'll never experience the pain of divorce.
    You have been married longer than I have been alive. Congrats.

Sticky situation for sure. Suppose they reconcile and the question of "who was messing with my gun comes up"? Even if they don't reconcile and the husband comes back for his gun later and asks about it. Heaven forbid the safe is in the bedroom. Nah, tell her to lock the safe and call the authorities.

So far, there seems to be little drama next door. Both parents are home, kids playing, wife coming and going. It may have turned into a non-event...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    So far, there seems to be little drama next door. Both parents are home, kids playing, wife coming and going. It may have turned into a non-event...
    Hopefully it will stay that way.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links