Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue - Page 5

Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue

This is a discussion on Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Webley, Based on your other threads, the part that really has me concerned is that you're going camping again! :-)...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue

Webley,
    Based on your other threads, the part that really has me concerned is that you're going camping again! :-)
    WebleyHunter likes this.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    Police will take care of it. I would never get involved in a mess like that.
    Umm, no. Most state agencies will take possession of a firearm unless it has been used to perpetuate a violent crime. That would only tick the guy off. Yeah, go over, clear the gun. And put it in your safe. Run a background check on the guy, and if all is good, inform him that his gun is in your safe.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    "Ma'am, I'm real busy washing my hair and doing my nails, then I have to take the engine out of my car before lunch. Close the safe and lock it. Sorry about your trouble, have a great day."

You should pull your engine BEFORE you wash your hair and do your nails. I thought EVERYBODY knew that! haha.

Seriously though, I hope you're not a dude. If you are, then forget the engine, thats women's work, just do your nails.

This is the correct answer. The whole scenario doesn't compute. Your local LE will respond quickly and take care of the situation. I'd remain friendly, but clearly at a respectable distance.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Yeah, I don't think that this is the answer.

As others have said, the kid's safety is of overriding importance here. Take a witness, wear gloves, and make sure she knows that the firearm and the ammo should be locked up seperately for the family's safety.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Administrator
    Well, it appears to me that this scenario is now long over and done with.

Without the OP getting involved.

But...I will chime in with this anyway as a possible lesson for all to learn.

So now he won't have to go to court and testify for the Wife in their "child endangerment" slash "child custody" hearings about how he personally witnessed (as a neutral third party) easy access to a loaded firearm when the irresponsible hubby walked out the door and left the safe door open which contained a loaded firearm whereby providing easy access to said loaded firearm by their young children...and that is why hubby should never have custody of the kids or be granted visitation rights.

And the OPs testimony then getting hubby all crazed in the head because a neighbor was called into court to testify against him...or had to provide a sworn statement as to the exact scenario that eventually denied him access to his children - and so he then decides to go gunning for the neighbor that cost him his kids.

You never know where it's all going to lead when you interject yourself into a failed marriage between two people that now despise one another and are willing to use their own children as pawns in their "back & forth" battle of hatred and vindictive retribution.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK that was one possible outcome. Now here is another.

Another possible outcome is that a neighbor calls a neighbor to ask for help in unloading a firearm - you go over and help the woman out.
    Nothing at all bad results from you offering your kind assistance.
    Whereupon she greatly appreciates your help during a troubling and emotional period in her life and in gratitude she bakes you a delicious apple pie...sends you a nice THANK YOU note and gives you a nice, beautifully wrapped bottle of wine at Christmas time.

My point being that it is almost impossible for anybody on the Internet to predict how any situation will ultimately turn out. There is "only so much" that total strangers can "offer up" in the way of qualified advice.
    Much depends on the Fickle Finger Of Fate anyway.

Often you just need to play things by ingrained instinct and learn how to trust your gut feelings and then either "go for it" (or not) based on what your common sense tells you to do.

This is all pretty strange to me. The OP said "we are very friendly with both parents". If my next door neighbor who I was "very friendly" with, asked this of me. I'd come over, unload the piece, tell her to lock the safe, and bail. Everyone is so caught up in SA that we can't even be good neighbors? One more thing I'm not comfortable with is so many people saying to call the police to remove the gun!! I get it, just trying to avoid getting involved, but really? I do NOT want cops coming to collect guns. I just don't. No crime has been committed. Why involve the government in the deal? It's a private matter, that's what friends, neighbors and most of all FAMILY are for.
    Arborigine, BigStick and tundra like this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d2jlking View Post
    This is all pretty strange to me. The OP said "we are very friendly with both parents". If my next door neighbor who I was "very friendly" with, asked this of me. I'd come over, unload the piece, tell her to lock the safe, and bail. Everyone is so caught up in SA that we can't even be good neighbors? One more thing I'm not comfortable with is so many people saying to call the police to remove the gun!! I get it, just trying to avoid getting involved, but really? I do NOT want cops coming to collect guns. I just don't. No crime has been committed. Why involve the government in the deal? It's a private matter, that's what friends, neighbors and most of all FAMILY are for.
    I almost agree with you!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    Thank you to everybody who responded!

My gut feeling was not to get involved, and I am glad that she did not ask me directly that evening. Though we are "friendly" with the parents, it is fairly clear that they operate in a completely different social caste, with the wife's brother in prison and the husband's Mom a raging alcoholic. I am not sure of their current relationship status, but there has been no visible drama form next door. The husband continues to live in the house.

Hunter

Dear Penthouse;
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Greetings!

This issue has just shown-up this evening...

Our neighbors rent the house immediately next door. The family consists of the couple and two young boys (4 and 8), and we are very friendly with both parents. Today, the wife informed the husband that she wants a divorce due to his extremely poor financial management skills (multiple bankruptcies, wasting money, failing businesses, etc). On his way to work, the husband cleared out the $2,000 from the house safe, but waived to my spouse like nothing was wrong when he drove away. According to the wife, he left a semi-auto pistol unsecured in the safe, and she would like me to come over and unload/separate the ammo for the kids safety. She is NOT a shooter.

Should I become involved and assist her in this fashion? Under no circumstances will take custody of the pistol, just unload it for her.

I don't want to become intertwined in their issues.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Hunter
    Echo_Four likes this.

VIP Member
    Bugboy, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a messed up mind.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Why on earth would you stick your nose into a domestic situation. Too many bad outcomes are possible. Let her call the police are someone else.

VIP Member
    Nearly a month later, and the responses are still rolling in for the urgent request for advice.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

You need to ask if, when asked, you should make a gun safe in a home with kids?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Exactly! There is something smelling very fishy here, and it ain't the fish. Tell her to just lock the safe.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links