Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue

This is a discussion on Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings! This issue has just shown-up this evening... Our neighbors rent the house immediately next door. The family consists of the couple and two young ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Urgent Advice Request- Neighbor's Divorce Issue

Greetings!

This issue has just shown-up this evening...

Our neighbors rent the house immediately next door. The family consists of the couple and two young boys (4 and 8), and we are very friendly with both parents. Today, the wife informed the husband that she wants a divorce due to his extremely poor financial management skills (multiple bankruptcies, wasting money, failing businesses, etc). On his way to work, the husband cleared out the $2,000 from the house safe, but waived to my spouse like nothing was wrong when he drove away. According to the wife, he left a semi-auto pistol unsecured in the safe, and she would like me to come over and unload/separate the ammo for the kids safety. She is NOT a shooter.

Should I become involved and assist her in this fashion? Under no circumstances will take custody of the pistol, just unload it for her.

I don't want to become intertwined in their issues.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Hunter

I would do it with the promise that she never brings up your name in the discussion so that he doesn't get pissed at you and start something.

Marriage property is 50/50 his and hers. Its her gun too so you have the legal right to enter and touch it per her request.

Anyone that says otherwise is ignorant.
    Last edited by finnman1; September 14th, 2012 at 10:59 PM.

Tell her to call a friend, or the police to unload the weapon or tell her to lock the safe with the gun inside then MYOB.

EDIT: The reason why I don't want to touch the gun is for two reasons:
    1. Don't want to get involved at all. MYOB
    2. I think it is strange he takes the money and not the gun. Something don't smell right.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    With her having two small children in the house and no weapons knowledge yes I would unload the weapon and advise her how to safely store it and the ammo.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

So let me get this right, he left a pistol UNSECURED in a SAFE? How does that work? You close the door and the pistol is now secured.
    kmagnuss, darbo, CLASS3NH and 4 others like this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I would safe/unload the gun for her. Otherwise you are wise in staying gout of it from there.
    kmagnuss likes this.

I agree if she wants it unloaded and is scared to do it, I would do it for her. I wouldn't take possession of it like you said. Granted, if it's locked in the safe - I don't see where the kids' safety comes into play but it would make her feel better about it, she sounds nervous about having it.

I'd probably offer to take her to the range if she decides she wants to learn to use it since she will be alone with the kids from now on.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Tell her to call a friend, or the police to unload the weapon or tell her to lock the safe with the gun inside then MYOB.
    This is what I would do. As much as I would like to help, the act of going into the house could be an issue. Unless these people are true close friends,I would stay totally out of it. I am married to my 4th wife so I know how weird this crap can get.
    pir8fan and RichB70 like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    Perhaps you could post a poll.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

If you do anything, make sure somebody is with you, to witness everything.

If anything goes awry, you don't want it to be his/her/their word against yours.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    With her having two small children in the house and no weapons knowledge yes I would unload the weapon and advise her how to safely store it and the ammo.
    Exactly this.

Same as if a neighbor asked for help with an appliance leaking natural gas. You aren't going to say "call the gas company, I don't want to get involved with your domestic situation". With them being friends of yours, it's a no-brainer.
    atctimmy and Echo_Four like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    Exactly this.

Same as if a neighbor asked for help with an appliance leaking natural gas. You aren't going to say "call the gas company, I don't want to get involved with your domestic situation".
    Actually, depending on the leak I would tell her to call the gas company (from outside)
    Blackheart6 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    This is what I would do. As much as I would like to help, the act of going into the house could be an issue. Unless these people are true close friends,I would stay totally out of it. I am married to my 4th wife so I know how weird this crap can get.
    ^^^THIS. Unless you know these people very well, you don't know what is REALLY going on between the two of them. The gun may just be a way to get get you somehow "involved". I think she could find a way to move the gun herself and lock it in a toolbox, a drawer, etc. Surely she wouldn't need a third party to "move" the gun to a safe(r) location and away from her kids.
    mr.stuart and BenGoodLuck like this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    If you choose to help her, use gloves so that she doesn't frame you for murder.

I'd help her.
    Ishmael, FLArmadillo and jfnixon like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Police will take care of it. I would never get involved in a mess like that.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links