Careful about your language and running your mouth

This is a discussion on Careful about your language and running your mouth within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On 20/20 or some such show there was a guy who, after calling the police to no avail, decided to confront neighbors when their karaoke/birthday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Careful about your language and running your mouth

Careful about your language and running your mouth

On 20/20 or some such show there was a guy who, after calling the police to no avail, decided to confront neighbors when their karaoke/birthday party went too late. He regularly carried a gun and spare mag and did so when he walked down the street. When he got there he had the police on the line and video rolling, and confronted the neighbors as planned. It was a party so there were a quite a few adults there. As he confronted the homeowner, other adults came forward as well (but were spread out) - at one point there were about 15 adult partiers in the vid. The complainant repeatedly stated "Get back, I am in fear for my life. I can stand my ground". One idiot actually started towards him and was shot. Two more tried to subdue the shooter and were also shot. The shooter claimed that he mistook a flashlight in the homeowner's belt for a weapon.

I think the guy that initially was shot was an idiot for going toward the shooter. I think the shooter was mistakenly thinking that the mere presence of other people amounted to disparity of force.

The prosecutors jumped all over the specific verbiage he used "I'm in fear for my life" and "I can stand my ground" - saying it was contrived to exactly fit with TX law. They brought in witnesses that testified about him giving advice to others about claiming such giving a person justification for lethal force and also shooting a neighborhood dog that got into his yard - apparently the neighbors didn't think he was right in the head.

He's now serving 40 yrs. I agree with the verdict, from what was presented.

Be careful of advice you give and the steps you take/when you take them if you ever find yourself in a defensive encounter.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    He apparently didnt meet the "reasonable man" expectation of the jury that tried him and it cost him 40 years of his life for being stupid.

Oh well.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

old story... been discussed here several times.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Yes, it has been discussed before. I agree with the verdict. He thought the stand your ground law was a license to play cop and confront the partiers (on THEIR property, not his). His verbiage right before he took his first shot was damning evidence, I'm sure.

VIP Member
    Aside from the mistakes the guy made, I'm going to guess it was a booze-fueled birthday party?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

It sounds pre-meditated to me....

VIP Member
    The man is an idiot. Stand your ground laws are a great thing, however they don't give you the right to initiate a confrontation, especially one where you leave your property and go to another to start it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yeah...this story has been discussed to death already....the man Di not meet the criteria for stand your ground law.

/thread
    /topic

No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry.

Oops, never heard of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Oops, never heard of it before.
    Well the basic run down is he wasn't in a place he had a right to be since the home owner had told him to leave. He was trespassing. Some people at the house retrieved their guns as a reaction to the neighbour first bringing his...to a place he didn't have a right to be. The camera was additional antagonisation, the neighbour was looking for a fight...while armed, in a place he didn't have a right to be. His life was not in imediat danger when he fired, while trespassing, looking for a fight, in a place he didn't have a right to be.

This man is going to prison for a long time.

No spell-checker with Tapatalk, sorry.

Going to another's property specifically to confront folks, then claiming SYG. Hm, that's a novel defense. Worse, witnessed by a dozen people not in agreement with his take on things. Bad juju, all the way around.

Unknown what was specifically said, by whom, with what timing in the sequence leading directly up to his feeling a deadly threat (if it was in fact a deadly one). But it gets awfully hard to claim lily-white intentions when all that's stacked up against a person.

Good example of what not to do.

Perhaps next time he'll call the neighbor on the phone. Doesn't have the phone number? Perhaps next time he'll first take the time to get to know his neighbor. That might well have helped quite a bit, here.

Ah, well. What a world. Full of all sorts of good examples and interesting situations.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    The guy got exactly what he was looking for, at least short term. Now, he has the long term to contemplate the consequences of his actions.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've always felt the suggested, "Officer, I was in fear for my life" was simply too contrived. If I have to shoot, my response will be along the line of, "That @#!**#@ tried to kill me!" I think a cop on the scene could identify with that more quickly.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Yes we have heard of the initial incident, where the man shot and killed was a FF of some sort I believe, but this is the first I heard of the outcome.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've always felt the suggested, "Officer, I was in fear for my life" was simply too contrived. If I have to shoot, my response will be along the line of, "That @#!**#@ tried to kill me!" I think a cop on the scene could identify with that more quickly.
    Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. Whether the police identify with you or not simply does not matter, as exemplified by the Zimmerman case and many others. They take pictures and ask questions. Prosecutors bring charges.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links