Depression

This is a discussion on Depression within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any one here been threw it ?? What do you do with weapons ? How did you get threw it ? Best advise ?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Depression

Depression

Any one here been threw it ??

What do you do with weapons ?

How did you get threw it ?

Best advise ?

2. Remove Ads

Not personally, but I would say with regards to weapons, the best thing to do would be to sequester your ammo if you feel that it's necessary. The weapons themselves, without ammo, are harmless, right? You could sell the ammo, bury it in ammo cans, or go to the range and shoot it all. That last option would certainly lift my spirits.

Best of luck!!
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I very seldom put my tin foil hat on but I would NEVER tell anyone if I was depressed and that I owned guns on a forum or anywhere else (the Man has ears). Good way to get your guns taken away......whew
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I believe that all of us go through some level of depression at some point in our lives.

If you feel you are going through some level of depression get rid of your guns (family members or friends) and seek professional help NOW. Your depression can be treated with professional help.

Sorry I didn't answer all your questions and I believe others here may be able to add counsel as well.
    SCGunLover1

The first thing you do when you wake up everyday is to find one thing that you tell yourself you have to do before the day ends.. Make sure it is something that you can actually get done. Doesn't matter if its something important or if its something completely silly. You convince yourself that it must be done. That is your goal for the day. That is what you concentrate on. You must fight through whatever obstacle the day presents to achieve it.
    When tomorrow comes, and it will, you do the same thing all over with a new goal.

Michael
    mr.stuart, tessa and Hoganbeg like this.

This thread is for a friend I have never been threw this
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

I had a family member who went through depression. Meds, better sleep patterns, and exercise were what helped them. Exercise was what they said helped them the most.

Your friend should definitely see a doctor (primary care or psychiatrist) to get a diagnosis and a treatment plan.

Best of luck to them.
    RichB70 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    I drive a truck for a living, which is sometimes a blessing and a curse.
    It affords me the opportunity to think things through and keep a level head for the most part.
    OTOH, it tends to allow me to over-think things as well, about politics, encroaching government and the like, but when it all starts getting to be too much, I just go hunting.

Get a hobby.
    Got kids, grandkids, get more involved.
    Do some charity work,
    Drive old and infirmed people to appointments.
    Find something you really like, and do it as time allows

Good luck,
    Stay safe, and see a psychologist if you really have to, but I think most people can beat it if they try.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I think you should try anything but meds to overcome depression... Whatever is depressing you is probably a passing temporary situation, and once it passes, you will be ok... Just engage your mind and body in constructive pursuits: Read books, exercise, walk, jog, lift weights. Accomplish small things: clean your house/apartment. Detail your car. Sit your guns aside and do small positive constructive things... No self-medication (alcohol or narcotics) and don't run to the doctor for "happy pills".

There is nothing wrong with attempting non-drug treatments first. But if you've got a long term problem and a good doctor/psychiatrist properly diagnoses you, don't discount drug-based treatment. They aren't "happy pills". Finding the right combination can work miracles, particularly when used in conjunction with cognitive behavioral therapy.
    GunTrooper likes this.

It's complicated, and every situation is unique. There is no cookie cutter answer nor clear path out. It is a back and forth thing. Sometimes it is two steps forward, one step back and sometimes it is one step forward and two steps back. Based on what is going on with your friend, when it is a clear cut case of anxiety and depression then it is definitely time to seek professional medical attention. Nothing wrong with that when it is handled and treated appropriately by a doctor that truly monitors and talks to a patient closely versus one who just passes out pills and moves on.
    DoctorBob likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by GunTrooper View Post
    I think you should try anything but meds to overcome depression... Whatever is depressing you is probably a passing temporary situation, and once it passes, you will be ok... Just engage your mind and body in constructive pursuits: Read books, exercise, walk, jog, lift weights. Accomplish small things: clean your house/apartment. Detail your car. Sit your guns aside and do small positive constructive things... No self-medication (alcohol or narcotics) and don't run to the doctor for "happy pills".
    For many depression is with you for life. It can be like diabetes in that while it doesn't go away it can be managed with daily care. You can live a good life so long as you keep either of them under control.

Michael

This is not the place to get help with physiological problems. If you feel the depression is possibly getting too much I suggest seeking professional help.

If there is someone outside your home you can trust you might want them to take possession of your weapons until you get better. While getting rid of all your ammunition has been suggested its not the best route to take since the weapons are still under your control.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

PM inbound

Check your private message notifications.

Self-diagnosis (or "friend"-diagnosis) of ANY sort is a fine recipe for MIS-diagnosis. In areas of mental health it's even more likely. Please don't play Dr. Phil. You are OVER YOUR HEAD already. Get your friend some professional help.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links