Local Murderer Armed and Loose, Banging at Door

This is a discussion on Local Murderer Armed and Loose, Banging at Door within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So yesterday the neighborhood across from my subdivision had a woman beat and kill a man, steal his guns and van, and is now on ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Adrenaline

Thread: Local Murderer Armed and Loose, Banging at Door

So yesterday the neighborhood across from my subdivision had a woman beat and kill a man, steal his guns and van, and is now on the loose armed and dangerous. This morning, I had a loud banging on my door...which is unusual sinceI have a door bell. Well, I don't have any windows in or beside the doors (something I intend to change) so I grab my XD40sc and unlock and open the door in such a manner it isn't visible.

Turns out it was a Sherriff's Deputy. I said, "Hold on" and put the weapon up (I was wearing gym shorts) and went outside. Apparently some neighborhood kids played some harmless pranks last night and moved a chair and some yard art to the curb. Did the same at some other houses, moved some planters out in the middle of the road, etc.

He never saw my firearm and I never said anything. He was super nice. Said if we ever see or hear anything to feel free to give them a call. All of my encounters with LEOs since I've moved here have been great.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Did you ask why he didn't ring the doorbell?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I don't have any windows in or beside the doors (something I intend to change) so I grab my XD40sc and unlock and open the door in such a manner it isn't visible.
    Rather than get windows in or beside your doors you may want to consider a wireless camera with night vision capability. Having windows in/near the door provides an opportunity for a BG to enter.
    skew12, BugDude, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I wondered that too. I was just sure he was going to say that it was the killer at the door, telling him that police were canvassing the area, that she held him at gunpoint and demanded that he hide her until the police were done searching his neighborhood.

I was working late one night at my previous company in Sanford, Florida (in da hood) and I heard rustling around outside
    and picked up my XD9 two tone behind my back, and opened the door (no windows) to the presence of six Seminole County Community Service officers (unarmed). I excused myself for a second and put the gun in the planter next to the door. Not sure who was more startled, them or me. I spoke with them for a while and they asked me if I knew what kind of area I was in. I told them yes. One of them asked me if I had any "protection". I stated that yes I did, and showed him my concealed weapons license.
    He just smiled and thanked me and off they went.
    In the time I worked for that company, there were 15 homicides within a 1/2 mile of my office. I quit working late.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

No, I didn't think about it until after the fact.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    Rather than get windows in or beside your doors you may want to consider a wireless camera with night vision capability. Having windows in/near the door provides an opportunity for a BG to enter.
    Most doors can be kicked with little effort, so having a window doesn't necessasarily make it less safe.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Most doors can be kicked with little effort, so having a window doesn't necessasarily make it less safe.
    Yes but a lot of people are not so brazen as to kick in a door as they are to smash and window to open one. In either case, my point was not about hardening the OP's home as much as ensuring the OP understood the risks of going a particular route.

For doors I'd suggest something like Door Jam Armor to reinforce the weak points in most doors. Of course, once that's done then the door itself becomes the weak point (and on and on).

The point is you assess the risk and then mitigate risk based upon your funds/risk tolerance.

Glad it turned out ok

He has probably pushed the button on so many doorbells that do not work that he has just quit wasting his time on them.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    What he said, no windows, camera......... Get the camera.
    Criminals don't care, not about your life, not about your stuff, not about your animals.....

They are like politiicans, as long as they get what they want, they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by dragongtr View Post
    What he said, no windows, camera......... Get the camera.
    The camera sounds like a good idea. Of course I have no idea if you really need it or not.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Get a camera that records. The cop may have been probing you on your donut stash.

Doorbells sometimes don't work, or the people inside may not hear the bell.

My job takes me to houses where I must speak with property owners and most of the time, I push the doorbell button as well as knock. Doing both assures me of having someone come to the door, well most of the time anyhow.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I'm a service plumbing contractor and have to go house to house all the time. You'd be surprised how many people's doorbells are non functional. I started just knocking instead of sitting there waiting for them to come to the door when the bell never actually went off.

Sponsored Links