On the Receiving End of Somebody Else's Plinking Session

This is a discussion on On the Receiving End of Somebody Else's Plinking Session within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings! This is posted as a follow-up to the earlier thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...e-camping.html In 1996, my father, brother and I were elk hunting in a remote ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By WebleyHunter
  • 10 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By mprp

Thread: On the Receiving End of Somebody Else's Plinking Session

On the Receiving End of Somebody Else's Plinking Session

Greetings!

This is posted as a follow-up to the earlier thread:
    Rude Awakening While Camping

In 1996, my father, brother and I were elk hunting in a remote BLM area southwest of Meeker, CO. We arrived to our campsite late on a cold and clear Friday night- literally a patch of cedars and pinion pines in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. As we cooked a late dinner in the truck mounted camper (about 10:00pm), we heard some odd pops coming from outside. Thinking something might be wrong with the propane system, we opened the door to listen…

ZIP-BOOM, ZING-BOOM, ZIP-BOOM in the branches above the camper! This was repeated several times.

After a collective “OH ****”, we all bailed out of the camper and got on the ground behind the truck. The only thing we had ready to go was the Enfield .38 in my belt holster. Using my best Army ROTC low crawl, I went to the truck cab and grabbed my SKS and a single-shot 20 ga shotgun. As a side note, I was pleased that the 10 round stripper clip for the SKS functioned quite well under duress.

It was pretty obvious that somebody thought the nice clump of cedars and pinion pines would make a good target for some late night plinking. My Dad loaded the 20 ga and fired into the air. Immediately, the shooting stopped, with a couple of door slams and spinning tires heard soon after. The next day morning, we found the tire tracks and fresh scattered 7.62x39mm cases about 200 yards from the truck. In this situation, my Dad thought it was best to fire a shot to alert them to our presence- a tactic that seemed to work.

Very scary!

Please comment.

Thanks,

Hunter
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm never going camping with you guys.
    357and40, Badey, sixgun and 7 others like this.

I would not blame you. We could not believe it was happening again!

Luckily, most camping trips since then have been less eventful.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

VIP Member
    The stuff that you run into really doesn't surprise me. I'm cautious even when camping on my own land. There's something about the wild outdoors that unleashes the stupid in some folks.
    minimalbrat likes this.

Looks like youve got bad luck

I'm not all that surprised either to hear about these things. There must be a lot of people out there that think they're the only ones that visit the wild lands and don't really care enough to check their targets out first. They're really rolling the dice and were probably beaded down on the tiny shinny thing known as your camper window, trying to see who could hit it first.
    Rock and Glock and MrsHB like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Between this thread and the other (Rude Awakening While Camping), you should write a book! There's more adventure with you and your dad on two camping trips than I've had in my lifetime. Thanks very much for sharing.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I wish I could find places to camp that were so sucluded, or just in general for plinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    I wish I could find places to camp that were so sucluded, or just in general for plinking.
    That's an easy one. Just check with Hunter to see where he's staying next!

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    I would not blame you. We could not believe it was happening again!

Luckily, most camping trips since then have been less eventful.
    MOST I am DARN sure not going camping with you. What on earth could happen on a camping trip more eventful than someone shooting. Running with a broken foot from a bear?
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Keep hanging around your Dad--you and he make a good buddy team on these night patrols, uh, I mean camping trips. :-) Since you have a battle rifle plus other armament to go along with some sound judgment, you're still around to regale us with your camping stories. No need for campfire ghost stories with you two, when there's already enough drama provided by the "let's get drunk and shoot down the moon" boys that seem to frequent your campsites!

BTW, one more story like this and I will feel obliged to recommend that you use your camper as a decoy, and spend the night in fighting positions with overhead cover and good fields of fire about 100 yards away. . . .

You sure you guys aren't camping out on gun ranges,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

WOW!!!! Um ya WOW!!!! Good to hear no one was hurt. Stay safe.

Links