Young woman shoots Texas man in road rage incident - Page 3

Young woman shoots Texas man in road rage incident

This is a discussion on Young woman shoots Texas man in road rage incident within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Detectives said the man tried to open a door to the woman's car." Under FL law, that could get you shot also: 776.013 Home protection; use ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: Young woman shoots Texas man in road rage incident

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Detectives said the man tried to open a door to the woman's car."

Under FL law, that could get you shot also:

776.013 Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.
    ó(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
    (a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that personís will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
    (b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    On the OP news link I could see that the safety glass on her side window was shattered, it even looked like a bullet hole may have been at the edge? It's not clear to me did she shoot him through the glass or not, or did he get shot through her opened door?

Oddly enough in post #30 the Houston Chronicle link, seemed to show her car but the side glass wasn't shattered? I'm guessing that photo was not her car, but one that happened to be similar?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I can see why she felt in fear of her life. The question is could you drive off to get away from the man? Hope videos show what happened.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

VIP Member
    As to driving away, in Texas is there a "duty to retreat"? Not saying that she should or shouldn't have tried that before shooting, just that "not" driving away shouldn't place guilt on her if the law doesn't require it.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    As to driving away, in Texas is there a "duty to retreat"?
    There is no duty to retreat in Texas. Duty to retreat and stand your ground cannot coexist under the same laws as they are diametrically opposed to one another.

VIP Member
    Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Duh.
    You're the one that asked the question. Just because you missed the part about stand your ground being identified in Post #6 does not mean you need to get all crotchety.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
    You're the one that asked the question. Just because you missed the part about stand your ground being identified in Post #6 does not mean you need to get all crotchety.
    I think the "duh" was meant for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    I think the "duh" was meant for himself.
    Doh (assuming that's the case). Mea culpa OldVet.

Another lesson:

If a relative calls you about an incident, keep your mouth shut. Don't talk to the media and relay what your family member may, or may not, have said immediately following the incident.

Her lawyer was running her mouth, if the window, made of tempered glass, was shattered by someone beating on it, there would be a big hole in it - I think there's a better chance it was shattered by the gunshot. Staying at an accident scene b/c you're more afraid of the police than someone trying to attack you is more than ignorant.

Just saw the other report that included the additional stunts this guy was pulling on the freeway. Good for her.

I've had a couple of road ragers after me, I feel safer in motion with plenty of room to maneuver my car and self than stopped anywhere. However, I get the impression most people don't have much in the way of high speed driving skills - overcorrecting, overreacting, using brakes for any and all situations, etc.

VIP Member
    That's nothing. Fellow here in FL shot an intruder with his .44 Mag, then invited the news media into his home, showing them the gun and where the "action" took place so all could be seen on the 6:00 news. This on the day it all happened. Surprising (then, maybe not) no charges or arrest made.

The man was already a threat to her when she was driving. He was getting in front of her slamming on is brakes. So at that poing she was in fear of great bodily harm and called 911. This was minutes before she pulled in the store. So somebody please explain to me how her leaving in her car would have helped? He was already driving aggressively and chasing her and putting her life in danger on the road.
    goldmaster, 9MMare and Ghost1958 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    I guess that answers the question, "can I pull the trigger?". Sounds likes a good shoot to me as well.
    There was a guy in my CCL class who asked that question...he got kicked out.

The video doesnt work on my ipad. Bleh

It would seem under Texas law that this was a good shoot. Im glad she was able to defend herself, she refused to be a victim....
    Bad Bob and Ghost1958 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links