Young woman shoots Texas man in road rage incident

This is a discussion on Young woman shoots Texas man in road rage incident within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bark'n, I totally understand. However, what your or my threshold is before using deadly force may not be the same as what someone else's is. ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Young woman shoots Texas man in road rage incident

Bark'n,

I totally understand. However, what your or my threshold is before using deadly force may not be the same as what someone else's is.

For instance, I don't expect my wife to have the same threshold as me. Hers is going to be less than mine, simply because she doesn't have the same capabilities as I do. If someone broke the window and grabbed on to her, she simply is not as able to fight and shoot them as I am. She doesn't have the upper body strength to make sure they are not placing her in danger of shooting herself or some other innocent person while they would attempt to drag her out of the car.

On the front door issue. There are instances where I would actually shoot through the door before they breached the barrier completely. If I saw a group of individuals on the survelance cameras, armed, attempting to come through the front door, I would more than likely start taking them out by shooting through the door. If it was simply a single person with no visible weapon, most likely I would be with you and wait till they breached the door.

As I tell folks during our CHL classes, there is no right or wrong answer (other than stupidity) when it comes to what one would do in most self defense situations. The variables at the time are going to dictate what happens. You simply have to plan for as many variables as you can think of.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DrahtDog View Post
    Possible road rage ends in fatal shooting - Houston Chronicle

The man was a danger the road also. He was getting in front of her and slamming on his brakes, she dialed 911 and pulled into a gas station. When she got to the gas station he tried to force entry into the car. She shot, problem solved. He already proved to be a danger on the road, why get back on the road? He will probably just start ramming your vehicle. Sounds like she did fine to me. She tried many different options, the last one worked out. Looks like a clean shoot to me.
    Those extra details make a clearer picture for me. She seems justified in her actions. I see others who have said she maybe should have just driven away. Maybe. My opinion is that when someone is putting you in danger with their vehicle, and then they begin yelling and hitting your vehicle while attempting to enter your vehicle, you have every right to defend yourself. So tired of bullies.
    ccman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    There was a guy in my CCL class who asked that question...he got kicked out.

The video doesnt work on my ipad. Bleh
    why did he get kicked out?

The woman did better staying at the station where the incident was like video taped. If she had driven off to put distance between her and her attacker and the attacker follo wed her to a place where there was no video camera and she still had to shoot the attacker she would be in much more trouble explaining things. MO
    ccman and Ghost1958 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    Just curious, does anyone think they would have a different opinion about this story had it been a male (victim)? Just a thought. Some people do tend to make things more justifiable when it comes to female victims. From what i gathered from this story, I believe it was a "good shoot." Just a thought.
    Interesting twist. Ummmmm....I would still consider the shoot justifiable. I probably have even more sympathy for the woman based on the generalization that she was probably outmatched in physical strength. However, male or female, a person has a right to protect themselves. She did. Good for her. Bad for the criminal.
    ccman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    feeling intimidated, does not equate to "fear" of great bodily harm or death.
    True. Are you of the opinion, based on the story, that the woman had no reason to fear great bodily harm or death?

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    From the police spokeswoman's statements, it sounds like a good shoot. If the punk beat her car so bad he broke the windshield and then tried to gain entry into her vehicle to beat her, she was well within her rights to use deadly force.

Good on her!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'd also say she was justified.Laws need to be massaged to deny realitives of the dead person kin for having to sue the lady.
    She appears to have done the right thing by hiring a lawyer who was at the scene to anwser any questions the press might have.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Just from the story: Second time in as many weeks, why can't people just drive off? She needs a "vacation". People with that attitude are a bigger danger to the 2nd A than the OC "baiters".
    Well that article didnt say but didnt he follow her into the gas station? So if she drove off again, I would assume he just follow me again.

Not enough info and I do say retreat if possible, but if she felt in imminent danger....that he was determined to get into the car, I think it's justified.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

My point was that if she could have driven away I do not beleive a LEO would arrest her for leaving the scene of an accident. And if you have the ability to drive away safely then that is an option one should consider instead of taking a life.
    While that is probably what I would try, what makes you think he wouldnt follow her and continue the same? Or attempt to force her off the road? She cant know, but has to make the best decision based on the immediate situation.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Whether the accounts in this particular story is true and accurate or not, is not my primary concern. Obviously, if the window wasn't shattered by the suspect, it may fundamentally change things. The investigation will will either confirm the shooters description of events or disprove them.

My posts and response are based on the assumption that the story (or any similar situation) is as described, and would apply in any situation where a nut job attempts to forcibly remove you from your vehicle and breaches the barrier of the locked doors.

In a case where a minor fender bender so enrages a person who demonstrates no self control, and proceeds to flip out and go into a fit of rage, and then proceeds to batter your car in an attempt to forcibly remove you from your car is by definition, placing you in jeopardy. If he breaches the window, he has just provided ability and opportunity to the equation which clearly places the event in the category of being a lethal threat.

These are my thoughts as well. If he's breaking my window, or trying hard...am I supposed to wait until he is entirely thru? And may gain an advantage? When am I 'legitimately allowed' to consider myself in imminent danger? As you posted...all his actions up to that point and his attitude seem to indicate that he intends to do real harm.

I would try to keep moving if possible but to drive away? Why wouldnt he just continue following? If possible, it would be my hope to keep moving safely in the gas station area until police arrive (I would hopefully also be on the phone to them).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    There was a similar instance here in FL no long ago, and the CCW holder who shot from inside his car in self-defense was not charged or even arrested. Is there stand your ground in Texas? In FL being inside a car is no different than being inside your house. The castle doctrine applies. I don't think that should even go to a grand jury. It should not have gone that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    She appears to have done the right thing by hiring a lawyer who was at the scene to anwser any questions the press might have.
    ... and the wrong thing by hiring one dumb enough to actually answer them at the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I don't think that should even go to a grand jury. It should not have gone that far.
    I believe that in some places if you are acquitted by a grand jury then you cannot be sued by the other party or their family.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I don't think it really matters if the attacker actually broke the window or not. If someone is attempting to break my window to get at me I'm not waiting for it to shatter before taking action. Remember, your face is right there within inches of that window.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links