Young woman shoots Texas man in road rage incident

This is a discussion on Young woman shoots Texas man in road rage incident within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the news article and video (which contains more details than the article): HCSO: Road rage ends with fatal shooting outside gas station | News ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: Young woman shoots Texas man in road rage incident

Young woman shoots Texas man in road rage incident

Here's the news article and video (which contains more details than the article):

HCSO: Road rage ends with fatal shooting outside gas station | News - Home

The shooter is reportedly a 23 y.o. female CCW permit holder. Being female and the target of a pretty scary road rage incident once myself (before I began carrying), I will be interested to see how this evolves. I'm sure much will depend on what the gas station security camera shows...
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    From the way the story is being reported it sounds like a justifiable shoot. Someone beating on the side of a car hard enough to break the window is not going to be collecting for the Red Cross.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Just from the story: Second time in as many weeks, why can't people just drive off? She needs a "vacation". People with that attitude are a bigger danger to the 2nd A than the OC "baiters".
    RichB70 and Taurahe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Just from the story: Second time in as many weeks, why can't people just drive off? She needs a "vacation". People with that attitude are a bigger danger to the 2nd A than the OC "baiters".
    I agree. Not enough details but if possible to leave I would do that instead of shooting.
    RichB70 and nortelrye like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

The guy jumped from his truck and started beating on her car hard enough to break her window? It wasn't her that needed the "vacation", it was the guy she had to shoot. If it turns out to be as initially presented...she was justified IMO. Sounds like it moved very fast. If she left, do you really think the enraged guy wouldn't have followed? Then he would be using his own weapon.....his big truck against her little car. She didn't seem to have enough time to call and wait for LEO.

The guy should have stayed in his truck and wait for the police, instead of going after her.

On the video...it showed the guy who was with the truck driver had paper bags taped to his hands. Anyone know why they would do that?
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

This is the section of the statute she will rely on for her defense if she needs one.

b) The actor's belief under Subsection (a)(2) that the deadly force was immediately necessary as described by that subdivision is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:(1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the deadly force was used:(A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Just a guess Spirit51, but I would say they wanted to test him for GSR. Covering all possible scenarios. It seems to me she was followed into the station by the other driver and he tried to gain entry to her vehicle by force. Good shoot. May have been other options for her, but she was under stress at the time.

VIP Member
    If her life/body was in danger. Good shot.

I agree that driving off would be the obvious option but he may have blocked her in if he pulled in after she did. Also many people believe it's illegal to leave the scene of the accident.

In the road rage situation I was targeted in, the man followed me nearly all the way to my workplace (20 minute drive with numerous turns). He was acting completely crazed and I had no phone or CCW at the time. I was very relieved when he didnt make the last turn into the drive after me. If he had, I'd have kept on driving and looked for a police station. That guy was acting insane. I have no doubt he'd have gotten physical, if given the chance.
    Ionracas likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

As more details become available we'll have a better idea of exactly what happened. With the information we have at this time it appears to be a good shoot. Unfortunately, now the nightmare really begins for her.

They had a fender bender she pulled into the station with the other party,he starts beating on the window hard enough to break it,and then tries to get the door open.
    He got what he was asking for,under TX Law it was justified.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nice for the TV news to report that her actions may have saved her life. You wouldn't get that take in New England or California.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

With the initial information provided, the physical evidence, and eyewitness accounts this looks like a justified shoot. I can't place too much judgement on her actions..... I wasn't there, it unfolded pretty quick..... too quickly to asses other options it appears, and pulling into a gas station/off the road/out of traffic is required by law in Texas (if I'm not mistaken) for minor fender benders. Certinally she had not time to call 911 or drive off if the deceased initiated he attack (that's what it was, an attack) immideatly after both parties parked their vehicles and possibly turned their engins off...... I'm guessing there.

It was reported that the police questioned her and the other passenger for several hours at the scene so I hope she made no incriminating remarks while being questioned if this was, in fact, a good shoot. Her lawer was there so that was a good call after the fact definatily.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Just a guess Spirit51, but I would say they wanted to test him for GSR. Covering all possible scenarios. It seems to me she was followed into the station by the other driver and he tried to gain entry to her vehicle by force. Good shoot. May have been other options for her, but she was under stress at the time.
    Very true. Many folks will do strange things when under stress that they would not do otherwise. We all know that if possible you should drive away from the danger. However we do not have a madman beating on our computer terminal's and intending to kill us while we say that either.

Michael

I wish we had a bit more information, but as it stands now, I'd say it was justified. It's too bad this girl had to kill somebody; that's probably something that will weigh heavy on her mind for a while. But in the end, her life or his. I'd say she made the right choice. Anybody that gets that upset about a fender bender, I'd be in fear for my life, too.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links