Got Interviewed Tonight

This is a discussion on Got Interviewed Tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most often people are just begging for $ by canvassing the area. It is very irritating and very uncomfortable. If actually attacked and neding to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Got Interviewed Tonight

Most often people are just begging for $ by canvassing the area. It is very irritating and very uncomfortable. If actually attacked and neding to fire off a round, there may have been a residual issue standing 2 feet from fuel vapors......
    tricolordad and FLArmadillo like this.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Any time you can sit safe and sound at your desk and mull your past actions over you did well.

Just as a bit of thought incentive, first, what was the guy that was loitering outside the door doing while the beggar was addressing you? Don't know? What if they were working together and the beggar was to distract while the other approached armed? Tunnel vision is part of the scenario that the bad guys count on. Taking your eyes of the beggar isn't bad if your using it to scan and return to the closest possible threat.

Second, instead of two spare mags, why not drop to one and add pepper spray? The force continuum is not a toggle switch between none and lethal in most cases. It goes in levels and pepper spray or OC can handle a big part of that and is a good gap filler when you need force but not lethal.

Just a few thoughts for you to add to your after action review.
    OP I want to make sure that the above points hit there target. Your first option is not your weapon. You made it home, that is good. Your attitude towards the situation is a bit scary, you said if the guy would have become aggressive you would have pulled your gun. I would suggest some H2H training and like NC Bullseye said, some pepper spray. Im not try to bust on you, just trying to make sure that you do not do something you may regret.....
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

This is a perfect example of "live and learn". Nothing bad came of it and if there is a next time, you will be ahead of the curve.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

In the event that you have to draw, i dont think its any different than a situation where you have a car buzzing you repeatedly in a parking lot. Youll have to be in that reactionary position. To do otherwise, youd be the criminal. But also, if youre uncomfortable, never turn your back to somebody, and keep in mind he might have friends around.

Glad it all worked out, you did well enough, obviously.

On the eye-contact - It was a good thing. Let me qualify that. When I was commuting into NYC (Harlem no less) we would almost never have eye contact in the first place. I would have an entire (but brief) contact with the panhandlers and junkies and never look at their face even once. Just watching their hands. Had one tell me once that it was freaking him out that I could talk to him and never look at him (except his hands).

Also, It is possible and very easy to break eye contact but never actually break it. Yes, you're not looking at his eyes/face but you're keeping close watch with your peripheral vision. You can, with only a little practice, learn to angle your body so that you can carry on with what you were doing and never lose sight of his hands.

When guys like that know that you're alert and watching their hands, they usually move on to easier fare.

One other thing we learned is to tell the ones who would try to get in close anyway is, "Gimme five feet!". Without going into where it comes from, they realize that if they're going to push the issue, it's gonna hurt. Yes, I know that 'five feet' is too close. It's not literal and you don't wait for them to get that close. You do it on their approach (while watching their hands of course).

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    You did fine, "Sorry friend, I only got a credit card."-break eye contact("shove off") and maintain SA.

VIP Member
    Your buddy could have waited the 4 minutes it would have took to gas up your car.
    Don't ever be in that big of a hurry to do things the prudent way, and you won't be subjected to getting gas in a neighborhood you are unfamiliar with.
    Hopefully this will be your wake up call.
    All ended well, and you have a moment to recall what NOT to do .
    tcox4freedom and FLArmadillo like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

AOK
    I agree with NC and Harryball. While I wasn't there, based on your description thinking firearm seemed very premature and could lead to trouble one day. May I suggest checking out Southnarc and attend his ECQC class? Even if you can't attend one of his classes you can pick up a dvd through I.C.E Training that covers a lot of the material in his Extreme Close Quarter Concepts class. Without going into great detail his dvd goes over Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC). It covers using proper language, movement to avoid being flanked by a second attacker and still keeping your eyes on the initial contact, proper use of hands and arms while moving, and a lot more.

While it's certainly not the same as attending one of Craig's classes majority of the material is easy to digest and apply. The dvd is really a small investment (under $30) considering the VERY high quality material you get in this dvd. Below is a link to the dvd.

I.C.E. Training | Home

OP, just to make sure I read your post correctly, just because somebody asked you for money theyre a BG?

Sounds like what I go through every day in the city:
    Stranger: do you have any spare change or cash because I (insert story and or reason here)
    Me: no.

We part ways and that's it. That's basically exactly what you said happened to you. Why was this such a big deal event to you?

How is being asked one question considered being 'interviewed'??

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

IMO, you did a lot right: your weapon was handy (always a good start!); you were paying attention and making some conscious decisions on where to stand, what to do, and why; you reacted to the unexpected approach of the panhandler in a way that got him off your back without antagonizing him. For all we know, he may have intended to do more, but never showed his cards because he decided you were too tough a target. Ditto for the loiterer--he may have intended to approach, but decided you weren't sufficiently locked-on to the panhandler for him to risk his move. We'll never know, and that's actually just fine. Maybe you turned an intended mugging or armed robbery into a non-event.

Chalk up a "W" and add the incident to your fund of experience and judgment. I'm not about to denigrate the value of training or of performing your own after-action review, but would emphasize that good results/outcomes dwarf the importance of good technique. Better to win a bit ugly than lose while "doing everything right." You were more aware of your surroundings than many, thinking more tactically than many, and better-armed than most, if it had come to that. You used a lot of common sense, and that in itself is more than many can claim.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Any time you can sit safe and sound at your desk and mull your past actions over you did well.

Just as a bit of thought incentive, first, what was the guy that was loitering outside the door doing while the beggar was addressing you? Don't know? What if they were working together and the beggar was to distract while the other approached armed? Tunnel vision is part of the scenario that the bad guys count on. Taking your eyes of the beggar isn't bad if your using it to scan and return to the closest possible threat.

Second, instead of two spare mags, why not drop to one and add pepper spray? The force continuum is not a toggle switch between none and lethal in most cases. It goes in levels and pepper spray or OC can handle a big part of that and is a good gap filler when you need force but not lethal.

Just a few thoughts for you to add to your after action review.
    This is a good suggestion. I used to carry some OC spray, but after watching some videos online of military training where they spray guys (and women), then expect them to keep fighting I wrote it off as pretty ineffective. Is there a product you personally carry that you would recommend?
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I think you did well considering the situation. But, I prefer to stay close to the nozzle as well.

I think the qusetion you should be asking yourself is;

"How the whole situation could have been prevented with a little better SA?"

• Maybe, stopping for gas while it's still light out in a better neighborhood?
    • Perhaps, on the way to "sailing" instead after you get back?

My general rule of thumb is start looking for gas when my car reaches a 1/2 tank. That way I know I have time to stop when I want to; and not when "circumstances" dictate the situation.

(After all, the ultimate goal of SA is keeping "YOU" in charge of the situations & circumstances you face.)

-
    You are absolutely right. I tried to convey in my first post that I messed up on getting low on gas. That is usually something I am conscious about. I decided not to stop due to laziness and that won't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I agree with NC and Harryball. While I wasn't there, based on your description thinking firearm seemed very premature and could lead to trouble one day. May I suggest checking out Southnarc and attend his ECQC class? Even if you can't attend one of his classes you can pick up a dvd through I.C.E Training that covers a lot of the material in his Extreme Close Quarter Concepts class. Without going into great detail his dvd goes over Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC). It covers using proper language, movement to avoid being flanked by a second attacker and still keeping your eyes on the initial contact, proper use of hands and arms while moving, and a lot more.

While it's certainly not the same as attending one of Craig's classes majority of the material is easy to digest and apply. The dvd is really a small investment (under $30) considering the VERY high quality material you get in this dvd. Below is a link to the dvd.

I.C.E. Training | Home
    To clarify, I would have only drawn on him if he produced a weapon. Which is an opinion I will maintain no matter how much hand to hand training I ever receive.

I appreciate this suggestion. I openly admit this is an area I am lacking. I will check out that DVD for sure.

Sometimes its just a guy asking for gas money. You did fine in my book.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    This is a good suggestion. I used to carry some OC spray, but after watching some videos online of military training where they spray guys (and women), then expect them to keep fighting I wrote it off as pretty ineffective. Is there a product you personally carry that you would recommend?
    If you watch enough videos on line and read enough "first hand accounts" of different self defense items you will end up believing the best thing to do is to never go out of your house.

Is OC 100% effective on every person? No.

It is effective enough on the vast majority of the encounters that it is considered a viable alternative to other forms of defense.

There are two big names in OC sprays, Fox Labs and Sabre Red. There are many others out there and some of them have had good results but once again as in other items if you stick with the big names you don't have to worry quite as much about being one of the learning curve trials.

I've settled on Fox Labs after researching the brands used by LE and talking with the manufacturer about their products. Sabre seems to have many different strengths and without a firm naming convention it's difficult at best to determine which formula you are getting based on name.

The Fox Lab 5.3 with UV dye is what I decided to carry in the MK3 size (2oz) with flip top and cone pattern.

Many will tout the stream spray over the cone but for someone who doesn't train on a very regular basis with the stream pattern you stand a far better chance of getting the OC where it belongs with the cone pattern. Under stress getting a face hit is far more likely with the cone pattern.

The key chain version while convenient, doesn't offer the range nor the volume of spray to be effective in multiple attacker situations and lately it seems that the bad guys are traveling in packs. Also the safety on the key chain units doesn't work quite as well as one would want. Discharging one of these in your pocket is NOT what you want to do when your out shopping or walking around oblivious to the world. A trusted friend of mine will testify loudly to that fact.

What ever brand or style you decide on, make sure you replace it ever two years or so just to be on the safe side. Some say 3 years but what ever time frame you feel comfortable with, make sure you change it out.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links