Got Interviewed Tonight

This is a discussion on Got Interviewed Tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to apologize in advance, because I think this is going to get a little long. This just happened to me about an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Got Interviewed Tonight

Got Interviewed Tonight

I am going to apologize in advance, because I think this is going to get a little long. This just happened to me about an hour ago and I am writing this as a tool to help me focus and self analyze as well as get some feedback from the good folks here.

For starters I drive a decent distance for work and usually have to pump gas every Friday. I don't like to be really low on fuel, but today I really wanted to get home so I passed the usual gas station I stop at on the way home from work and decided I would just fuel up next time I was out. Anyway, a buddy called me and asked me to go sailing with him tonight, and since I had no plans I went along. I had to meet up with him soon though, so no time for gas on the way there, I would have to get it on the way home. So far I have made a few bad choices, luckily I made one good one when I decided to strap on my Glock 19 and two extra mags despite the really low fiberglass seats in my buddy's boat.

Due to my job situation I cannot carry at work (I work in a school). So the carry always never tell gig does not work for me. I carry when I can and I have my own rules I abide by. Generally if I am going somewhere that involves being around more than a dozen people I don't know, or if I am going to be anywhere after dark I carry. I figure these rules take care of most of the bad situations I would find myself in.

Either way on my way home from sailing my gas light is on and we are way out in the sticks at a state park. I ended up stopping at the first gas station I came across, which was in a urban area between the state park and my neighborhood. As I get out of the car at the gas station I immediately notice a guy loitering outside of the store part of the gas station. Not smoking, not on the phone, just standing there. loitering people always catch my attention. I swipe my card and start pumping gas. I always stand against my trunk with the autopump running so I can see things better and am not boxed in by the gas line. I am overly focused on loitering guy when another dude approaches me from the street. I saw him coming, but figured he was just headed inside to buy something. He stops when he gets to me and tells me that his car is out of gas and that he needs some money. He asks if I have any money to give him. His body language and overall demeanor is nonthreatening, but being "interviewed" is making me uncomfortable. I told him that I paid with a credit card and had no cash. I then broke eye contact with him and when I did this he walked away.

I figure that I made a mistake breaking eye contact with him. I also am pissed at myself for my mental process. Mentally I was thinking "I can't believe this guy is interviewing me!!!" instead of thinking, if he does one stupid thing I am moving off the X and drawing on him. I should have been thinking aggressively. I strongly believe that a quick aggressive reaction to a BG threatening behavior will screw their OODA loop enough for you to have the upper hand. That only works if I am thinking aggressively and not standing there in disbelief of the situation.

I also think breaking eye contact him was good and bad. It was good because it non-verbally ended our interaction. It was bad because if he choose to become aggressive I would have been stuck in a totally reactionary position. In the future I think I would hold eye contact until the person decides to move on to another target. I have never experienced anything like this before. I think I will be better for it if things happen again.

I know this is kind of a non-event, but for me this was a big deal. It validates many of my ideas about why I carry and next time I am thinking about leaving my Glock on the nightstand because it is a little uncomfortable (like it was in the boat today), you better believe I will be strapping it on.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Always carry - no matter what you're doing or where you're going.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

You did good. Be aggressive if needs be not too much that you escalate the situation.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Being prepared to take aggressive action and being aggressive in demeanor are two different things. Sometimes a little bit of diplomacy can keep you from having to take aggressive action.

Sounds like you did just fine.
    JDE101 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    You did good. Be aggressive if needs be not too much that you escalate the situation.
    I totally agree. I should clarify from my post that I don't think I should have acted aggressively against this guy, that would have escalated things for sure, but I should have been thinking about what I was going to do if he did something dumb. Instead I was too caught up in the moment to be thinking a step ahead.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Distinguished Member
    I also think you did fine. Drawing would have to be a last resort, but it could also be a lifesaver. Don't over analyze this, just be thankful it turned out ok.

Any time you can sit safe and sound at your desk and mull your past actions over you did well.

Just as a bit of thought incentive, first, what was the guy that was loitering outside the door doing while the beggar was addressing you? Don't know? What if they were working together and the beggar was to distract while the other approached armed? Tunnel vision is part of the scenario that the bad guys count on. Taking your eyes of the beggar isn't bad if your using it to scan and return to the closest possible threat.

Second, instead of two spare mags, why not drop to one and add pepper spray? The force continuum is not a toggle switch between none and lethal in most cases. It goes in levels and pepper spray or OC can handle a big part of that and is a good gap filler when you need force but not lethal.

Just a few thoughts for you to add to your after action review.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Myk
    And if you had allowed the interview to go on too long, his loitering buddy might have escaped your attention long enough to flank you, if that was what was going on. You did fine.

I get hit up by bums/vagrants etc., all the time. Often it's at a gas station or a quicky mart.
    Not always...but more often than not, things are exactly as they seem to be.
    That guy asking you for spare change may just want spare change, the UPS guy ringing your doorbell with an unexpected package has probably got something your wife ordered on the internet, that guy eye-balling you in the mall is wondering why you are eye-balling him......
    DC, suntzu, tclance and 2 others like this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

One thing I always do when I'm fueling my car is to keep my hand on the nozzle. A full pressure stream of gas into someone's face will take the fight out of him. I had an incident back in the early 70s when I worked as a fuelie in a truck stop, and I was assaulted by a drunk while I was fueling a truck. I let him have it with a blast of diesel in the face and followed up by smacking him in the head with the OPW-7 nozzle. I'll have to admit that my mistake was taking my eyes off him, so he was able to sucker punch me. I just ended up with a shiner, but he got a mouthful of diesel, and the side of his face split open. He was still able to stagger off, and the cops never found him. I was too young at the time to own a handgun.
    tcox4freedom and Glhadiator like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    I am going to apologize in advance, because I think this is going to get a little long. This just happened to me about an hour ago and I am writing this as a tool to help me focus and self analyze as well as get some feedback from the good folks here.

For starters I drive a decent distance for work and usually have to pump gas every Friday. I don't like to be really low on fuel, but today I really wanted to get home so I passed the usual gas station I stop at on the way home from work and decided I would just fuel up next time I was out. Anyway, a buddy called me and asked me to go sailing with him tonight, and since I had no plans I went along. I had to meet up with him soon though, so no time for gas on the way there, I would have to get it on the way home. So far I have made a few bad choices, luckily I made one good one when I decided to strap on my Glock 19 and two extra mags despite the really low fiberglass seats in my buddy's boat.

Due to my job situation I cannot carry at work (I work in a school). So the carry always never tell gig does not work for me. I carry when I can and I have my own rules I abide by. Generally if I am going somewhere that involves being around more than a dozen people I don't know, or if I am going to be anywhere after dark I carry. I figure these rules take care of most of the bad situations I would find myself in.

Either way on my way home from sailing my gas light is on and we are way out in the sticks at a state park. I ended up stopping at the first gas station I came across, which was in a urban area between the state park and my neighborhood. As I get out of the car at the gas station I immediately notice a guy loitering outside of the store part of the gas station. Not smoking, not on the phone, just standing there. loitering people always catch my attention. I swipe my card and start pumping gas. I always stand against my trunk with the autopump running so I can see things better and am not boxed in by the gas line. I am overly focused on loitering guy when another dude approaches me from the street. I saw him coming, but figured he was just headed inside to buy something. He stops when he gets to me and tells me that his car is out of gas and that he needs some money. He asks if I have any money to give him. His body language and overall demeanor is nonthreatening, but being "interviewed" is making me uncomfortable. I told him that I paid with a credit card and had no cash. I then broke eye contact with him and when I did this he walked away.

I figure that I made a mistake breaking eye contact with him. I also am pissed at myself for my mental process. Mentally I was thinking "I can't believe this guy is interviewing me!!!" instead of thinking, if he does one stupid thing I am moving off the X and drawing on him. I should have been thinking aggressively. I strongly believe that a quick aggressive reaction to a BG threatening behavior will screw their OODA loop enough for you to have the upper hand. That only works if I am thinking aggressively and not standing there in disbelief of the situation.

I also think breaking eye contact him was good and bad. It was good because it non-verbally ended our interaction. It was bad because if he choose to become aggressive I would have been stuck in a totally reactionary position. In the future I think I would hold eye contact until the person decides to move on to another target. I have never experienced anything like this before. I think I will be better for it if things happen again.

I know this is kind of a non-event, but for me this was a big deal. It validates many of my ideas about why I carry and next time I am thinking about leaving my Glock on the nightstand because it is a little uncomfortable (like it was in the boat today), you better believe I will be strapping it on.
    What happened with the other guy hanging outside of the store? Also becarefull of how aggressive you are. I got a certin idea having read some other posts on here. My state is not a stand your ground state. with that being said always think of your options.

Glad the situation ended before things got out of hand. A keen sense of SA will always be your friend. All in all, I think you did well, and you came away with a good learning experience.
    RichB70 likes this.

VIP Member
    It's always a good thing to be alert. That said, I'm not sure I understand the "being interviewed". Every stranger who walks up to you is not sizing you up for an attack. Other than walking up and asking you for money, what did the guy do that was threatening? Good situational awareness is one thing, being paranoid of strangers is another.
    OldVet likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It ended the best way - no altercation. I've had similar experiences at gas pumps a few times.
    There's some story and usually it's that they "need money to buy gas to get somewhere."
    My reaction is to give them a blank, cold stare and say "No, can't help." That's it.
    Don't beat yourself up over it - just file it away and you'll always be ready.
    Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen.
    -- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I think you did well considering the situation. But, I prefer to stay close to the nozzle as well.

I think the qusetion you should be asking yourself is;

"How the whole situation could have been prevented with a little better SA?"

• Maybe, stopping for gas while it's still light out in a better neighborhood?
    • Perhaps, on the way to "sailing" instead after you get back?

My general rule of thumb is start looking for gas when my car reaches a 1/2 tank. That way I know I have time to stop when I want to; and not when "circumstances" dictate the situation.

(After all, the ultimate goal of SA is keeping "YOU" in charge of the situations & circumstances you face.)

-
    Herknav, Glhadiator and nydru90 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links