Reacting to the Bad Guy - Page 3

Reacting to the Bad Guy

This is a discussion on Reacting to the Bad Guy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 21bubba Go here Human Benchmark - Home and try the reaction time test. I'm a bit perplexed. You admit you have never ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Reacting to the Bad Guy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Go here Human Benchmark - Home and try the reaction time test.
    I'm a bit perplexed. You admit you have never done the drill, but then you insist on critiquing the results of someone who has. I suppose that in and of itself is okay. But then you support your critique on the bases of results of an Internet test?

You don't see anything amiss here?

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I'm a bit perplexed. You admit you have never done the drill, but then you insist on critiquing the results of someone who has. I suppose that in and of itself is okay. But then you support your critique on the bases of results of an Internet test?

PEF, you hit the nail on the head. Folks will always question others, especially when it does not make sense to them. The internet test is nothing more than a video game. The FoF training Mike did was a bit more difficult. The last time I did this drill, I had the same results that Mike did. When they put movement into the scenario, things got a lot better....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I say this with no malice. I think you need a doctor. Your reflex's suck.

Could this maybe be a case of familiarity with the players? slower reaction because your really know they are not a true threat.
    Oh boy...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The second video was great ( the first one too ) but I cracked up when he said to punch your buddy in the nuts to see how he reacts under stress!!
    I had a similar situation occur in my Kemp school. I do know what he means about stress, I'll tel ya!

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The martial arts crowd says that when someone decides to move, their body gives them away with a "tell". Always. Get inside that and have a chance.

Finding the other guy's current tell, and reacting to it in time? Not so always, and how to defend in court?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    PEF, you hit the nail on the head. Folks will always question others, especially when it does not make sense to them. The internet test is nothing more than a video game. The FoF training Mike did was a bit more difficult. The last time I did this drill, I had the same results that Mike did. When they put movement into the scenario, things got a lot better....
    Or folks can always accept what is presented on the internet as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post

What I see here is simple disagreement. The simple test was used to try and prove what someone's reaction time would be to a visual stimulus.

I just completed my ccl class. One of the teachers (A 20 Year LEO) ask the class to move our trigger as many time as we could in two and a half seconds. The class average was around 7 times. He said it takes about 2 1/2 seconds to draw from a concealed carry position, so the BG can shoot at you an average of 7 times before you can draw and fire.
    He said to seek cover and practice the three "F's". Fire until the f***er falls.

Or folks can always accept what is presented on the internet as fact.
    I never presented anything that was internet fantasy, I presented my opinion, then the facts from Pincus and Yeager to which I subscribe. You have posted an internet link to a reaction game, said you have never done the training and have presented yourself as a internet commando. You may want to look up the Col Boyd before you start to say his work isnt factual...Like I said before, there are some things you can not argue with, this happens to be one of them.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I never presented anything that was internet fantasy, I presented my opinion, then the facts from Pincus and Yeager to which I subscribe. You have posted an internet link to a reaction game, said you have never done the training and have presented yourself as a internet commando. You may want to look up the Col Boyd before you start to say his work isnt factual...Like I said before, there are some things you can not argue with, this happens to be one of them.
    This whole thing is internet fantasy.
    I presented my opinion. I unlike you don't worship at the altar of Pincus and Yeager.
    Internet commando? If anyone should bear the name it should be people that subscribe to the newest training or equipment...
    Col. Boyd I have no problem with, but I don't always agree with.
    I heard you the first time... I'll argue about anything I don't agree with. Your opinion or otherwise.

This whole thing is internet fantasy.
    I presented my opinion. I unlike you don't worship at the altar of Pincus and Yeager.
    Internet commando? If anyone should bear the name it should be people that subscribe to the newest training or equipment...
    Col. Boyd I have no problem with, but I don't always agree with.
    I heard you the first time... I'll argue about anything I don't agree with. Your opinion or otherwise.
    Bubba dont take this the wrong way, but do you know who Col. Boyd is. Also, the OODA loop is not fantasy...Sorry Bro.

Bubba dont take this the wrong way, but do you know who Col. Boyd is. Also, the OODA loop is not fantasy...Sorry Bro.
    Isn't he Col. Sanders brother? I'm done.

Isn't he Col. Sanders brother? I'm done.
    You just made Harry's point.

John Boyd (military strategist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VIP Member
    Go here Human Benchmark - Home and try the reaction time test.
    McAfee SiteAdvisor Software
    McAfee doesn't want me to take your reaction test.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    The purpose of the exercise was merely to demonstrate reaction times vs. action times. It was conducted at Tactical Defense Institute earlier this summer with me, Mike Brewer performing the reactor role and John Benner, president, owner and head instructor of TDI as the actor. I don't advocate illegal behavior, so I won't suggest that anyone believing they can defeat the scenario call Benner and offer up a wager.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links