Reacting to the Bad Guy

This is a discussion on Reacting to the Bad Guy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "The gull sees furthest who flies highest." (And some people refuse to learn)....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Reacting to the Bad Guy

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    "The gull sees furthest who flies highest."

(And some people refuse to learn).

2. Remove Ads

"But I guess that's why they say every rose has its thorn."

- Poison
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I did a Force on Force class 2 years ago now and we did duels at 15 feet. No gun in hand, just draw when the BG draws and shoot. The answer to the drill was to get off the X, blade away from the BG while drawing and shooting. He has several OODA loop resets as he has to figure out which way you went and where you are when he wants to shoot after he has already been shoot 2-3 times before he fires the first time. This only works 1-2 times in a class of shooters as all are now aware of what and how to do it. Air Soft is a great trainer and practice makes perfect. There are many variations of this drill but this is how it goes down. The same thing happens in real life. You will fight how you train and if the training is not good things happen.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    I'd like to point out that we have the ignore feature here on DC. That way you can just ignore the idi....ahem, the posters that annoy you.
    BenGoodLuck and tcox4freedom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'd like to point out that we have the ignore feature here on DC. That way you can just ignore the idi....ahem, the posters that annoy you.
    That must be why nobody responds to me........
    atctimmy likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

When I was younger this exact scenario presented itself several times and by the time I was able to react it was too late,no matter how many times a year we visited mt grandma and even tho I knew that sometime before we left she was gonna try to kiss me on the cheek I just never seemed to be quick enough to get out of the danger zone
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    It would be really helpful and informative if someone could video this scenario so those of us from Missouri (or those who are from Missouri in spirit) could see it first hand.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    It would be really helpful and informative if someone could video this scenario so those of us from Missouri (or those who are from Missouri in spirit) could see it first hand.
    Wow! That was fast...Shooting Reaction Time - YouTube
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Now, eliminate the spin, run and draw from behind the back, and you have the scenario I described. The gun goes straight from relaxed at the bad guy's side to pointed and fired, as quickly as he can do it.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Now, eliminate the spin, run and draw from behind the back, and you have the scenario I described. The gun goes straight from relaxed at the bad guy's side to pointed and fired, as quickly as he can do it.
    While the video shows how fast you can get shot, he moves away in a straight line from where you have your gun pointed. Also in the OP everyone was standing still and not moving, if I understood it right. Since we all know there is very few times there is a one shot stop, in both situations all we take a hit, most likely, before the fight is over. If you are the one act and getting the first shot GOTX and move your body from the line of fire of the other guy's gun. If his reaction is to fire, his shot will go where you once where not where you are. But above all don't just shoot once, if you are going to shoot then shoot him to the ground, if only one BG. Or be spreading the love if more. But I like to see all get at least two before moving on to the next. That's the why for hi-cap mags.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    wow that last video he was like a Ninja... bet he didn't hit the person thou... the shot breaks after he rotated past the center focal point.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    wow that last video he was like a Ninja... bet he didn't hit the person thou... the shot breaks after he rotated past the center focal point.
    You may find it hard to find a camera man if you keep shooting them in your videos
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

So the bad guy has a gun, in plain sight. Why is there a pause in the action?
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxon06 View Post
    So the bad guy has a gun, in plain sight. Why is there a pause in the action?
    Because it's a drill and a way to learn in person how slow you really are when you are behind in the OODA loop. The point of the exercise is to illustrate the fact that he who acts first almost always wins.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Because it's a drill and a way to learn in person how slow you really are when you are behind in the OODA loop. The point of the exercise is to illustrate the fact that he who acts first almost always wins.
    Yes, I understand its a drill. And that the guy that acts first wins. Which is a drill that has no real purpose, other than you should have shot the guy right away.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links