Reacting to the Bad Guy

Reacting to the Bad Guy

This is a discussion on Reacting to the Bad Guy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a scenario that was applied in a recent force-on-force training event I participated in. The good guy is instructed to assume his best ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Reacting to the Bad Guy

VIP Member

Reacting to the Bad Guy

Here is a scenario that was applied in a recent force-on-force training event I participated in. The good guy is instructed to assume his best ready-to-fire stance, aiming at the bad guy six feet away who is holding a pistol relaxed at his side. The good guy is to fire as soon as the bad guy makes any move whatsoever. A few seconds later, the bad guy brings his pistol up and fires. I repeated this exercise as the good guy several times, and the best I could muster was a tie. While this exercise doesn't allow for all variables in a draw-against-the-drop situations, it certainly added an element of realism to my sometimes magical thinking.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Real bad guys are terrible shots, though. Don't you watch movies?
    Badey likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

It is a proven fact that it takes longer to react then to act. That is why it is always good to seek cover, while simultaneously challenging the subject. That was the only thing I dislike about old westerns, they reinforce a lot of bad tactics.

The OODA loop is more important than most think. Getting off the x is very important for this very reason. You always want to try to get the BG to react to your action not the other way around...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    This is interesting and informative, and I am surprised at the results.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    This is interesting and informative, and I am surprised at the results.
    I was very surprised as well, considering that I am the guy who catches the dollar bill every time it is dropped between my fingers. Granted, the one playing the bad guy is the head instructor and is very well versed on quick and accurate, but still, I was thinking I should have beat him every time.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I was very surprised as well, considering that I am the guy who catches the dollar bill every time it is dropped between my fingers. Granted, the one playing the bad guy is the head instructor and is very well versed on quick and accurate, but still, I was thinking I should have beat him every time.
    Its a humbling experience to say the least....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Its a humbling experience to say the least....
    Yes, indeed.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Real bad guys are terrible shots, though. Don't you watch movies?
    That's why we should shoot to only wound, eh?

So, you had your weapon pointed at him, he would draw and attack you and he would win most of the time? Interesting. Sorry to restate what seems obvious, but my control of english leaves me uncertain of what you posted?
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Here is a scenario that was applied in a recent force-on-force training event I participated in. The good guy is instructed to assume his best ready-to-fire stance, aiming at the bad guy six feet away who is holding a pistol relaxed at his side. The good guy is to fire as soon as the bad guy makes any move whatsoever. A few seconds later, the bad guy brings his pistol up and fires. I repeated this exercise as the good guy several times, and the best I could muster was a tie. While this exercise doesn't allow for all variables in a draw-against-the-drop situations, it certainly added an element of realism to my sometimes magical thinking.
    The tiebreaker goes to whoever has the best aim.

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    So, you had your weapon pointed at him, he would draw and attack you and he would win most of the time? Interesting. Sorry to restate what seems obvious, but my control of english leaves me uncertain of what you posted?
    The other guy's gun was not holstered - it was in his hand but with his arm straight down to his side so the gun was up against his thigh.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    With his gun in his hand at his side, he could point and fire at least as quickly as I could react to that movement and pull my trigger.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I say this with no malice. I think you need a doctor. Your reflex's suck.

Could this maybe be a case of familiarity with the players? slower reaction because your really know they are not a true threat.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I say this with no malice. I think you need a doctor. Your reflex's suck.

Could this maybe be a case of familiarity with the players? slower reaction because your really know they are not a true threat.
    Have you ever performed this exercise as I described it?
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links