A real eye at range this week end.

This is a discussion on A real eye at range this week end. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to my regular indoor range this week end . I had not ran many rounds threw my .380 Kel Tek lately (been about two ...

Thread: A real eye at range this week end.

A real eye at range this week end.

Went to my regular indoor range this week end .

I had not ran many rounds threw my .380 Kel Tek lately (been about two months )

So thats the one I took this time .

I brought 100 rounds with me .

My .380 is in a rotation that I carry I usally change my rotation weekley.

This Gun has about 1500 rounds threw it pretty much flawless.

I decided to shoot my winchester hollow points that I had in mag .

Note I always had use to pull these out the mag and shoot just regular ball ammo on range.

After the trip I would clean gun and re install the hollow points.

They where about a year old something told me shoot these today and refill with fresh ones later.

Well that plan did not work five of the 7 rounds would not fire . The two that did sounded light.

Lesson learned the hard way how often should you swap them out??.

And is that for wheel guns to as I have a 442 in my rotation too.

I know it was ammo problem because the 100 rounds all went as planed .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sounds like something got into the cases. Age should not make a difference, especially one year.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Usually once a month I will shoot the mag of ammo in my carry gun and rotate the mags in my double mag pouch,first mag in gun,second mag in #1 slot,fresh ammo in #2 spot,so every 6 months I go thru a box of gold dot.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    These were commercial, so they should not be a primer problem, but, just in case, do the primers look like they got solid strikes?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    These were commercial, so they should not be a primer problem, but, just in case, do the primers look like they got solid strikes?
    Not so. I've had eaxctly 2 misfires due to primers in my reloads since '75. I've had a buttload more with commercial rounds in that same timeframe.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Could just be a bad batch. They should be good for a lot longer than a year. Shelf life should be able to be measured in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Could just be a bad batch. They should be good for a lot longer than a year. Shelf life should be able to be measured in decades.
    Thats what I thought too

I thought it might be due to me always takeing them out each time and the puting them back in mag .

I would suggest you have a gun smith look at your gun. The 100 rounds that did fire correctly may use a different brand of primer. If your going to continue to carry the same self defense ammo you need to make sure your gun will reliably fire it. I would also bite the bullet so to speak and buy another new box of the same ammo and see if it works reliably before I decided to carry it in this gun.

Unless your gun and ammo went through the laundry I doubt it was a contamination issue. Modern ammo can take a lot of abuse.

See this test soaking the primers in liquids for weeks at a time:

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

Links