Selling to Lure for Attack - Page 2

Selling to Lure for Attack

This is a discussion on Selling to Lure for Attack within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the homicides shown on the TV show 48 Hours involved the shooting and killing of a young man who, along with his girlfriend ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Selling to Lure for Attack

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    One of the homicides shown on the TV show 48 Hours involved the shooting and killing of a young man who, along with his girlfriend went to a fairly deserted parking lot to look at a car for sale. Turns out the "sellers" were two young BGs who had advertised same at a really good price and seemingly wanted to complete sale right then and there. It turned out that their real aim was to rob the couple of the money and then leave in their so-called car for sale. The young man, once realizing it was a robbery, pulled out a firearm and then was shot and killed by the BGs. Whether this couple would have been killed regardless--who knows--but the storyline has that same "ring" to it. I was selling, for the first time, a firearm online and then had to meet the buyer. I chose the gas station at a Sams Club around 10AM, where I felt that there was enough people and traffic if something should be wrong with this entire episode. Never having sold before, I had thoughts of someone killing me on the spot---turns out he was a BMW salesman who uses the same FFL dealer I do. You never let your guard down--it is all part of the bigger situational awareness picture. You do not go to a location where your instincts are telling you not to go regardless of the "deal" especially if it sounds too good to be true.

VIP Member
    Good instincts, Tkruf. Although next time, I'd heed them a little more and not attempt the transaction.

I do believe that activities that were perfectly fine when we were younger, have become a good bit more dangerous these days.

Those mattresses could have been hotel rejects. For $125 I would not walk but run away. Heck for that price you could buy a blow up or better yet, a water bed for the kid. He'd love it... I can't see spending 2-4K for a blow up with a controller either. We bought a Sealy posturepedic from Costco several years ago and love it. Probably about $4-500 but a lot better and I know it was new...

Heck, I hate sleeping on hotel mattresses... Will never sleep on them nude... gross...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

This is like those guys that sell speakers out of the back of a truck in the parking lot.

A mattress is one of the last things I'd buy second hand - and don't be fooled, there's a high likelihood that this guy is selling used mattresses. The Mattress Factory gives you 12 months to return a mattress for any reason you want and trade it for a different one. All those returned mattresses get donated to whoever will take them.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Sounds like the classic “bait and switch” gimmick; good thing you did not fall for it.
    Yep,that was my first thought. Sounds like a shady business, and yes it could have been dangerous.

VIP Member
    The hand written street corner signs, on the side of cut open cardboard box, should be a dead giveaway on the quality.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I just bought a great mattress from Original Mattress Factory for less than $400. Been sleeping on their products for decades.

I sometimes sell my extra NFL tickets on Craigs List. Buyer meets me in a Starbucks where all the employees know me and we conduct business in full public view. Either side of a transaction like that could be a robbery waiting to happen.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Did you really expect a "good" mattress set for $125?

Glad everything was safe.
    My thoughts as well. People got to realize that you will get what you pay for.

EIther way, I generally try to meet in public places and at places where there are a lot of witnesses. The mall parking lot, a local diner, or a place where both of us can feel safe. But to be honest, I cannot remember the last time I met up with someone to buy something. Generally I do most of my shopping online or at a storefront. I feel it is safer as a buyer and more secure for me.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I was selling, for the first time, a firearm online and then had to meet the buyer. I chose the gas station at a Sams Club around 10AM, where I felt that there was enough people and traffic if something should be wrong with this entire episode. ---turns out he was a BMW salesman who uses the same FFL dealer I do.
    For a transaction like this, if you are friends with a gun shop owner, ask them if you could conduct the transaction in the store.

For other types of transactions, I've heard of people going to a police station. Pick a place that is secure and public.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links