At what point would you feel justified jumping in?

This is a discussion on At what point would you feel justified jumping in? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not going to initiate fire to defend the till, or someone else's wallet....

View Poll Results: Assuming you are in a public place (store, reasturant, theater or such) and a BG walk

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • BG claims he has a gun, but gun is not visible - Demands money

20 15.27%
  • BG claims he has a gun, but gun is not visible BUT BG is acting wild/irrational - Demands money

4 3.05%
  • BG displays a gun - Demands money

43 32.82%
  • BG displays gun and is acting wild/irrational - Demands money

24 18.32%
  • BG is herding people to a back room or lining up everyone on their knees

20 15.27%
  • BG pointing gun at individual(s) and threating imminent death

12 9.16%
  • BG discharges firearm, but not at a person

4 3.05%
  • BG shoots someone

4 3.05%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: At what point would you feel justified jumping in?

VIP Member
    I'm not going to initiate fire to defend the till, or someone else's wallet.
    MrsHB likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

5 And higher. Probably. If I feel like it.

If it isn't me or mine... I probably won't do anything, until I'm outta there.

It all depends on the "totality of the situation."
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Would you really? Seems you lose the element of surprise there.
    Sorry that was sarcasm, it doesn't always show up well in forum format
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

After my experience being the employee behind the counter with a gun on me during a robbery, I welcome any skilled help in terminating the threat that has been delivered upon me. If im suddenly involved (as a browsing customer/bystander) in a robbery, and a gun is pointed at any living person, im ending the threat. All it takes is the twitch of a nervous finger and that store clerk is dead. On a greater measure, that clerk / cashier / mother / sister / etc will go home to see their family again. The dead B.G gets to ride to the morgue with the coroner.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm not going to initiate fire to defend the till, or someone else's wallet.
    You would not be. You would be reacting to a threat to kill. The reason for the threat is simply not relevant.
    pittypat21 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    You would not be. You would be reacting to a threat to kill. The reason for the threat is simply not relevant.
    Threat assessments, my known abilities and limitations, potential and likely outcomes and aftermaths are all considerations upon which I base my decisions.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Flawed poll, like asking, "Do you still beat your wife?" "Jumping in" is open ended, could mean anything from shouting at the guy to calling 911 to shooting him on the spot--or anything in between.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Flawed poll, like asking, "Do you still beat your wife?" "Jumping in" is open ended, could mean anything from shouting at the guy to calling 911 to shooting him on the spot--or anything in between.
    "Justified" is a loaded concept, as well.
    Tuco

I"d vote "All of the above", cause it depends on the situation before #5.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

I voted 3 because at that point he has the means to cause severe bodily harm or death

Just curious about the reasoning behind the answers given to the OP. Is it a known legal reason, fear of possible legal action, moral or other reason behind the idea of not acting at the first opportunity after the threat was made? The bad guy has made a threat to kill in in front of witness's.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Just curious about the reasoning behind the answers given to the OP. Is it a known legal reason, fear of possible legal action, moral or other reason behind the idea of not acting at the first opportunity after the threat was made? The bad guy has made a threat to kill in in front of witness's.

Michael
    Are you saying by saying "I will kll you" even if a weapon is not seen is enough for your to draw and shoot someone? Not trying to put words in your mouth. But that is how I read it. If I misunderstood can you explain what you meant...
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    Posts #31&36 explain my rationale about as well as I can explain it.
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar

Take the threat at face value

He claims to be armed and demands what is not his. Why would I not believe him? (After all, he's a fine upstanding thug)

I'll take his claim to be the threat it is and respond accordingly ( with more violence than this mutt has ever seen).

If it turns out he wasn't armed, maybe he shouldn't have brought his mouth to a gun fight.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Are you saying by saying "I will kll you" is enough for your to draw and shoot someone? Not trying to put words in your mouth. But that is how I read it. If I misunderstood can you explain what you meant...
    The first example question.
    BG claims he has a gun, but gun is not visible - Demands money
    By claiming that he has a gun one has to believe that is intended to be a threat to kill or do great bodily harm. Also I believe that in my State the claim of possessing a deadly weapon during a robbery automatically makes it armed robbery. A serious felony.

I only am asking why, the potential victim would wait until the last minute instead of acting at the first available chance. Moral, legal or other reasons?

Michael

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links