At what point would you feel justified jumping in? - Page 4

At what point would you feel justified jumping in?

This is a discussion on At what point would you feel justified jumping in? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Florida, I would in a place where I had a legal right to be, and I could use equal force to stop an immediate ...

View Poll Results: Assuming you are in a public place (store, reasturant, theater or such) and a BG walk

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • BG claims he has a gun, but gun is not visible - Demands money

20 15.27%
  • BG claims he has a gun, but gun is not visible BUT BG is acting wild/irrational - Demands money

4 3.05%
  • BG displays a gun - Demands money

43 32.82%
  • BG displays gun and is acting wild/irrational - Demands money

24 18.32%
  • BG is herding people to a back room or lining up everyone on their knees

20 15.27%
  • BG pointing gun at individual(s) and threating imminent death

12 9.16%
  • BG discharges firearm, but not at a person

4 3.05%
  • BG shoots someone

4 3.05%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: At what point would you feel justified jumping in?

Under Stand Your Ground In Florida

In Florida, I would in a place where I had a legal right to be, and I could use equal force to stop an immediate forcable felony. Robbery is on the list.

Gun is out, demanding money makes the case. Double tap, assuming a clear background and tactically possible. No warning.

The quicker it is ended, the better for all non-perpetrators. Even if you are not the initial possible victim. who knows what lurks in the mind of criminal (if not a crazy).

George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

While these questions seem simple enough, there are too many variables involved to readily choose any of these except the obvious ones. I have no issue with drawing down on someone who has apparently threatened me with his not-yet-seen gun; however, there are circumstances where that same comment in a crowded environment might not be the best approach. The ones where the weapons is actually seen, is less ambiguous and more likely to end in the perps's demise.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    He pulls a weapon, it's time to leave if possible.

Fixed your post for you.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Threat assessments, my known abilities and limitations, potential and likely outcomes and aftermaths are all considerations upon which I base my decisions.
    You did not initially address them, only the "defend property" issue. I do not see defense of property as being of concern. Safety is a concern.

Tough to say - are we sure its a real gun, or possibly an Airsoft? You wouldn't know until 8.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Exit stage left, ready to return fire, after my family is safe outside.

That's my answer having time to think about it, with no stress whatsoever as I sit and eat my lunch. In stress, I just might be curled up in a ball crying like a school girl for all I know, never been there before but it would be easier (and less harmful to my e-pride) to say something more macho, I guess.

I'm thinking that so many things can vary to the point that 1-4 may, may not or more than likely cause a last resort. But #5 there's no doubt that I would have to react with a violent response. A robbery happening in front of me may be possible depending on the situation, but a hostage I will be not. I would say that in general, #5 and down I would respond.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    You did not initially address them, only the "defend property" issue. I do not see defense of property as being of concern. Safety is a concern.
    Concerns are a very subjective concept. If I don't know you, your safety may or not be one of mine, depending on other considerations. It is probably safer for everyone to let him have your wallet than for me to draw on the drop in a restaurant full of diners.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by AlecGuiness View Post
    Tough to say - are we sure its a real gun, or possibly an Airsoft? You wouldn't know until 8.
    Which is why in most States you are allowed to defend yourself if reasonably believe your life is in danger. If you believe the person when he says he has a weapon then he has a weapon.

Michael

I see no difference between #3 / #4. How do you hold up a business with a firearm while acting "rationally?" If BG produces a gun, it's obvious to me that he is willing and able to kill someone. At that point, my life is in danger and if I can drop him I will.

It appears there is tension between some that feel the need to protect other innocent people and those that are mostly concerned with protecting themselves and loved ones.

I'm not saying one or the other is right, but its something I have thought a lot about. I would love to be the one to defend everyone else, but I am potentially putting my life in danger when it wasn't before.

Really tough situation. Does anyone know if there are legal line between defending yourself from imminent danger or defending others from the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_SDG View Post
    It appears there is tension between some that feel the need to protect other innocent people and those that are mostly concerned with protecting themselves and loved ones.

I'm not saying one or the other is right, but its something I have thought a lot about. I would love to be the one to defend everyone else, but I am potentially putting my life in danger when it wasn't before.

Really tough situation. Does anyone know if there are legal line between defending yourself from imminent danger or defending others from the same?
    You not only risk your life, but possibly also risk losing everything that you own to pay for your defense should the State attempt to punish you for your good deed. I could see where the fear of having to mortgage the family home, raid your retirement funds or your children's college funds might enter the mind of a person who might otherwise be willing to help.
    I would not fault a person who placed their families security above the lives of strangers.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    You not only risk your life, but possibly also risk losing everything that you own to pay for your defense should the State attempt to punish you for your good deed. I could see where the fear of having to mortgage the family home, raid your retirement funds or your children's college funds might enter the mind of a person who might otherwise be willing to help.
    I would not fault a person who placed their families security above the lives of strangers.

Michael
    I wonder if there is any correlation between one's net worth, and one's willingness to initiate a gunfight in a restaurant full of people?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The laws says if it looks like a duck, it is a duck. The purpose of using an Airsoft is to give the impression that it is the real deal. Bad tool choice. Lights out, party's over.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I would say I'm in it as soon as I become aware it's happening. (If & when I take the shot depends primarily on IF/when any SAFE opportunity presents itself.)

It's my view that a BG threatening violence with a firearm is a DIRECT threat to anyone within range. Just because a gun isn't pointed directly at me doesn't mean I'm not in imminent danger.

There was a thread here not to long ago that posted that showed just how fast things can go down hill. (Personally, I don't care to get caught behind the "8" ball.)

I always prefer "Action" over "re-action".

-
    mlr1m and First Sgt like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links