At what point would you feel justified jumping in? - Page 5

At what point would you feel justified jumping in?

This is a discussion on At what point would you feel justified jumping in? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can you fathom the implications if you killed someone that was wielding an airsoft gun? I guess for my sanity I’d have to wait until ...

View Poll Results: Assuming you are in a public place (store, reasturant, theater or such) and a BG walk

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • BG claims he has a gun, but gun is not visible - Demands money

20 15.27%
  • BG claims he has a gun, but gun is not visible BUT BG is acting wild/irrational - Demands money

4 3.05%
  • BG displays a gun - Demands money

43 32.82%
  • BG displays gun and is acting wild/irrational - Demands money

24 18.32%
  • BG is herding people to a back room or lining up everyone on their knees

20 15.27%
  • BG pointing gun at individual(s) and threating imminent death

12 9.16%
  • BG discharges firearm, but not at a person

4 3.05%
  • BG shoots someone

4 3.05%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: At what point would you feel justified jumping in?

Can you fathom the implications if you killed someone that was wielding an airsoft gun? I guess for my sanity I’d have to wait until the last possible moment to intervene; I’d prefer to leave these situations to the professionals if at all possible.

Edit:
    I should clarify; if anyone is pointing what looks to be a firearm at me or a loved one, then all bets are off; but simply the act of wielding something that looks like a gun at others, I’d have to be really sure – how sure? IDK

Quote Originally Posted by AlecGuiness View Post
    Can you fathom the implications if you killed someone that was wielding an airsoft gun? I guess for my sanity I’d have to wait until the last possible moment to intervene; I’d prefer to leave these situations to the professionals if at all possible.
    Again, this would depend on your location. If they're stupid enough to bring a toy to a gunfight, then its herd thinning.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

You dont need to ee a gun to claim elf defene or defene of another.so long as a reasonable person would believe he is armed, you're golden. At the point where I thought he might hurt someone, whether or not I see a gun, I'm going hot.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

My ears would be pointed forward at the mention of #1 or #2...Adrenaline is flowing, Condition Red is boiling over, I am potentially looking for cover OR the exit...

IF neither cover or the exit is available based on my proximity to the action, then as soon as #3 is presented, then at that point I am in fear of my life. I'm not thinking of the other patrons or the cashier or anyone else at this time...I AM IN FEAR OF MY LIFE, and my actions at that point will be those to defend MY life and "stop the threat".

Those that imply/say "simply wielding a gun at others" is not a threat to their life and they will therefore wait for further developments before deploying their weapon, only live in a fantasy world, unprepared for the violence that awaits them. Those that imply/say "it could only be an airsoft" and they will therefore wait to make sure it's really a REAL weapon, they too live in a fantasy world, unprepared for the violence that awaits them AND knowingly are putting themselves behind the power curve, preventing them from defending their life until it's too late.. JMO
    Harryball, mlr1m and tcox4freedom like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I voted 4 but only if the circumstances (my position, backstop, distance, etc) were ok. Otherwise, I'm not being herded somewhere and well before that point I'd be preparing to defend myself.

OTOH, I'm totally on board with....if I can leave, I will.

And please note that 'the perfect circumstances' for a shot are like all the planets aligning. Not esp. realistic. That is the reality that I've learned from all the gunfights I've read about/viewed.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Claim of a deadly weapon ... shows a deadly weapon ... shows additional intent by "herding" people. Whatever else is true, ALL of those examples are of an armed robbery (or, at least claimed to be armed) and showing manifest intent to kill. Game on.

As to whether/when I would "jump in" (act), same as always, basically: it would depend whether I was at direct and imminent risk, and whether I thought I could make a difference in the outcome.

I dislike the idea of harming a "kid with an Airsoft" as well, but if you want to engage in armed robbery then you get what you get.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I guess it depends what you consider jumping in...
    I would get involved on #1, but my gun wouldn't be discharged until #3 or #4.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecGuiness View Post
    I should clarify; if anyone is pointing what looks to be a firearm at me or a loved one, then all bets are off; but simply the act of wielding something that looks like a gun at others, I’d have to be really sure – how sure? IDK
    You trust your reaction to draw, aim, and fire would be faster than that of someone who already has a gun out, then decides in an instant to point it in your direction and shoot? I don't, and I have good reaction speed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links