"Just going to the store" carry

This is a discussion on "Just going to the store" carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; personally i do not pop a small caoiber in my pocket to run to the store, it is something i feel will be sufficient, or ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: "Just going to the store" carry

personally i do not pop a small caoiber in my pocket to run to the store, it is something i feel will be sufficient, or i would not have it, which is usually a airweight 38 / and a speed loader, which is what i tend to carry a lot anyhow....if you feel the gun you pop in your pocket leaves you under-protected, you should remove it from your carry list....and possibly from your inventory....just my way of thinking....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I always carry the same gun anytime I'm away from home.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

I only change holsters. A quick run to the store in gym shorts, I'll use the Remora instead.
    ohiorobp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I rarely stop at a convenience store for other than gas, and even more rarely at night. But if I armed "for the ocassion" I'd have an AK slung over my shoulder.
    Nice!!!!

I carry the same gun for the "quick trip to the store" that I carry that I carry any other time.

It isn't very time-consuming to strap on my Dale Fricke Archangel and horizontal mag carrier vs dropping a mouse gun in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    personally i do not pop a small caoiber in my pocket to run to the store, it is something i feel will be sufficient, or i would not have it, which is usually a airweight 38 / and a speed loader, which is what i tend to carry a lot anyhow....if you feel the gun you pop in your pocket leaves you under-protected, you should remove it from your carry list....and possibly from your inventory....just my way of thinking....
    My G26 is the smallest gun I own so I won't even be tempted to carry anything smaller.

Distinguished Member
    I understand what you are saying svgheartland. I do pocket carry my Airweight when I don't want to change to my jeans, belt, suspenders, long- tailed shirt, to cover my EDC. I am still armed, so I feel reasonably confident should anything arise I could defend myself. My city crime rate is very low, so I don't feel too worried. However I do still maintain good SA. Call it lazy or complacent if you wish, but it's reality for me.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I don't get "your drift". Not sure what your point is. Still sounds to me like situational awareness tells me that a lousy pint of ice cream is not worth my drive to a store at night.
    I won't stop living and exercising my given right to ice cream because of the possibility of crime. What kind of life is that? I won't seek out high crime areas but I won't be a prisoner in my own home after dark either.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Myself, I don't alter my defensive strategy simply because I'm going to the corner store for a "pint of milk," as if that makes things any safer because of an otherwise mundane product or brief duration of the trip. If the time, location and/or other conditions warrant being armed and prepared to a given degree, the "milk" doesn't change that.
    ericb327 and mkh like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I won't stop living and exercising my given right to ice cream because of the possibility of crime. What kind of life is that? I won't seek out high crime areas but I won't be a prisoner in my own home after dark either.
    Ah, the little known 28th Amendment that guarantees the right to frozen dairy products. Of course the antis claim that the Framers clearly meant frozen yogurt...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Something I posted recently about printing and open carry on quick trips, I just pop on my Galco OWB and don't worry about printing since OC is legal for me and I know all the LEOs. Lazy, yes! But I don't care!
    Badey likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    First let me say that I include myself in this observation. It's 8 PM and you need a pint of ice cream. You're already wound down from the day so you pop the little carry caliber in your pocket and jump in the car. But with the street lights already on, you may be heading to highest level of SD requirement/exposure of the day. The parking lot of the local convenience store, at night, is a classic place for trouble. Probably more so than walking the parking lot at work. And yet many of us are less prepared than we were 12 hours before, ordering a biscuit for breakfast. In truth, I'm far enough out in the sticks that the store is already closed at that hour but you get my drift. I wonder why we do that?
    Summertime and warmer weather is a huge factor for many in how we carry off duty or as a concealed permit holder...It should not be that way but I think that is why people do it.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I either have my .38 or my 9mm all the time. I have to say i am not as careful around my little town as I am everywhere else and this is probably not a good thing. I do keep in mind I didn't carry for the first 49 years of my life and I am still here. The Good Lord does look out for fools. :0).
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by thrashdog View Post
    My carry gun never changes no matter the occasion. The new XDs is that versatile
    This.

Along with my Kimber Ultra Carry II now as well.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Oldnfat, I personally believe a snubbie to be a fine carry for most situations. Not all, but most. The one you've got is better, etc. so most of the time that's what I'm carrying. What made me post this was the ubiquitous "what's your favorite carry?" posts. In those threads I'll read "I carry my bayonet mounted, bored out Uzi with 3 bugs and a Bowie knife taped to my inner thigh, but if I'm just running out to the store I drop the fill-in-the-blank in my pocket". I don't know where those guys are this morning.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links