"Just going to the store" carry

This is a discussion on "Just going to the store" carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Phillep Harding No one said "already carrying inside my home so I just throw on an outer shirt"? I did, read my ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: "Just going to the store" carry

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    No one said "already carrying inside my home so I just throw on an outer shirt"?
    I did, read my signature.
    KCGoreEsq likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

2. Remove Ads

anyone who says that ice cream isn't absolutly nessacary after 8pm, obviosly has never had a pregnant wife :D
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

I only ever carry my XDsc whether I'm out all day or just running out for ice cream at night. I have a little pocket pistol I could grab, but it's a .22 so I don't bother, the xd is usually on my hip already so I can just grab a cover shirt and go or if it's not already on my hip, it's easy enough to pop on.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    First let me say that I include myself in this observation. It's 8 PM and you need a pint of ice cream. You're already wound down from the day so you pop the little carry caliber in your pocket and jump in the car. But with the street lights already on, you may be heading to highest level of SD requirement/exposure of the day. The parking lot of the local convenience store, at night, is a classic place for trouble. Probably more so than walking the parking lot at work. And yet many of us are less prepared than we were 12 hours before, ordering a biscuit for breakfast. In truth, I'm far enough out in the sticks that the store is already closed at that hour but you get my drift. I wonder why we do that?
    My carry gun is my carry gun. I may even have 2.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I've been carrying my Sig P238 less and less!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I've been carrying my Sig P238 less and less!
    Say it ain't so! That's either my primary or BUG, depending on the day. It is always in my pocket when I am legally allowed to carry, even at home....
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Am I understanding this correctly? It sounds that many people on this thread would not venture to the store after dark even ARMED for anything but an absolute necessity? Screw that, sorry, but if I want/need Ice Cream or popcorn or shampoo or whatever, I am not going to live in fear of leaving my house after dark. I guess I am a reckless fool but I venture out in the evening quite often. Naturally I maintain a vigilance and TRY to maintain 360 awareness at all times. This is a trait that my wife is learning from me as well. But I just don't want to feel paralyzed about leaving my home whenever I want for whatever reason. If you get to that point, you have already lost your freedom.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Always (always) have my PF-9 8+1 in a Qwik Clip, and my Sabre key chain with me no matter what. It's no problem to snap on my 2 mag holster and drop the 3" 4Sevens Quark into my pocket if I go for a drive.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? It sounds that many people on this thread would not venture to the store after dark even ARMED for anything but an absolute necessity? Screw that, sorry, but if I want/need Ice Cream or popcorn or shampoo or whatever, I am not going to live in fear of leaving my house after dark. I guess I am a reckless fool but I venture out in the evening quite often. Naturally I maintain a vigilance and TRY to maintain 360 awareness at all times. This is a trait that my wife is learning from me as well. But I just don't want to feel paralyzed about leaving my home whenever I want for whatever reason. If you get to that point, you have already lost your freedom.
    I agree almost 100%. I have the right to be anywhere I have the right to be. I am prepared to defend that right.

That said, there is the rule of three stupids... Don't do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people....

If you decide to ignore the rule, you're more likely to experience a close encounter, of the dangerous kind, far beyond the any time, any where rule... So it's all on you.
    tcox4freedom and miller_man like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
    Could you please point out ANYWHERE in this thread that says people here are staying home in fear?

The number one rule is self-defense is AVOIDANCE!

I'm not likely to get in my car and take a trip to the bad parts of the city after dark either. But, it's not because of fear. (I worked the bad streets unarmed for years.)

I "avoid" doing certain things because it's a wise thing to do!

-
    Paymeister likes this.

Oops...My bad...posted to the wrong thread somehow...sorry.

I put my EDC on when I get up and take it off when I go to bed. So, if I'm up and going, I'm armed as usual.
    Ghost1958 and Las Vegan like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Always armed as long as it's legal so being in the military I go most of the day unarmed....

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    ....convenience does sometimes trump preparedness, I suppose. I don't do any pocket carrying, so I tend to take a compact over a sub-compact anyway, but you do make a good point.
    we're all human, and Brad 426 is right: sometimes convenience does trump preparedness. Some people argue that the best CC gun is the one you always take with you. If you're training sets you up with a primary combat handgun and holster rig everytime you step out of the house, then you will always be very well-prepared. But if you're laying on the couch with shorts and a wife beater, watching football and decide you need to pick up something quick, you may not take the time to get in your primary CCW gear. In this case, if you grab a small 380 and slip it in your pocket, it's not great, but it's better than unarmed... It's a calculated risk...

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

That said, there is the rule of three stupids... Don't do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people....
    My kids are going to hate that quote! But it covers so many things. DR

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links