"Just going to the store" carry - Page 5

"Just going to the store" carry

This is a discussion on "Just going to the store" carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't care what type of carry it is, as long as you're carrying thats a start. Now I am armed at all times, that ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: "Just going to the store" carry

I don't care what type of carry it is, as long as you're carrying thats a start. Now I am armed at all times, that is, unless I'm fornicating or showering.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    I don't care what type of carry it is, as long as you're carrying thats a start. Now I am armed at all times, that is, unless I'm fornicating or showering.
    Why limit yourself for those 3 minutes?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Could you please point out ANYWHERE in this thread that says people here are staying home in fear?

The number one rule is self-defense is AVOIDANCE!

I'm not likely to get in my car and take a trip to the bad parts of the city after dark either. But, it's not because of fear. (I worked the bad streets unarmed for years.)

I "avoid" doing certain things because it's a wise thing to do!

-
    No one that I recall said the word "FEAR", but several have expressed that they wouldn't venture out at night just for ice cream. I never suggested that you should take your car into bad neighborhoods after dark... Reductio ad absurdum. But UNLESS you live in a bad neighborhood, perhaps then you may feel a compulsion to remain in your home after dark.... I lived in downtown baltimore for 3 years, and I NEVER let that stop me from doing ANYTHING even unarmed... within certain parameters naturally.... ie, I didn't go to the ATM in Patterson Park at 2am... didn't walk around the projects EVER. Essentially, I didn't invite trouble and I adopted urban camo philosophy... look, act, feel like you are a part of the landscape and no one gives you a second look. I'm not advocating that anyone go to urban Baltimore for ice cream, but if that is where you live, OWN it or move. If you are uncomfortable in your own neighborhood at night, then perhaps it is time to reevaluate your surroundings. I don't mean any offense to anyone, but that is just my take on it.
    ohiorobp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thrashdog View Post
    My carry gun never changes no matter the occasion. snip
    This. I made the mistake of just putting my then BUG (Beretta .25) in my pocket and seriously regretted it soon after. I still have a BUG (442), but rarely carry it. My EDC is what I carry, regardless of the time of day. And no one "needs" a pint of ice cream at night.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

+1! My carry weapon doesn't change (often), just the mode of carrying. Usually CBST Deluxe and for the 'ice cream' run, there's the SmartCarry.
    Quote Originally Posted by thrashdog View Post
    My carry gun never changes no matter the occasion. The new XDs is that versatile

From what I've read, the KEL-Tec P-11 isn't considered the optimal weapon for SD here. Frankly, it's all I carry. I spend a lot of time on the range and hit 99% of what I aim at, at 25 yds. I'm not in a combat zone (At one time I was - so I know what an armed engagement is.), so if I ever have to unholster in real life, I'm either going to eliminate the threat with the first rd or two, or suppress and retreat. I'm perfectly happy with my P-11. After hundreds and hundred of rds, I've never jambed, dbl fed, or failed to eject. As to situational awareness, an ounce of perfection is worth a pound of cure. I won't live in fear but I also won't deliberately put myself in harms way. I hope I'm kind of on topic here. I'm new to the forums and sometimes it bothers me how so many people can get a concealed carry, without any necessity to show proficiency with their carry piece of choice.
    Las Vegan likes this.

During the summer her in Colorado I OC, the holster never comes off the belt so if I have to put my pants on for the trip the holster is already there so I just drop the gun (Para-Ordnance P-14 14 shot 1911) in the holster and go. In the winter; well same rig just put a coat over it so same thing.

Twice in my life I thought I was being paranoid always carrying and slacked off, both times in short order some @hole stepped up to prove me wrong, one could easily have gotten me killed, so never again.

During the summer here in Colorado I OC, the holster never comes off the belt so if I have to put my pants on for the trip the holster is already there so I just drop the gun (Para-Ordnance P-14 14 shot 1911) in the holster and go In the winter; well same rig just put a coat over it so same thing.

Twice in my life I thought I was being paranoid always carrying and slacked off, both times in short order some @hole stepped up to prove me wrong, one could easily have gotten me killed, so never again.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
    No one that I recall said the word "FEAR", but several have expressed that they wouldn't venture out at night just for ice cream. I never suggested that you should take your car into bad neighborhoods after dark... Reductio ad absurdum. But UNLESS you live in a bad neighborhood, perhaps then you may feel a compulsion to remain in your home after dark.... I lived in downtown baltimore for 3 years, and I NEVER let that stop me from doing ANYTHING even unarmed... within certain parameters naturally.... ie, I didn't go to the ATM in Patterson Park at 2am... didn't walk around the projects EVER. Essentially, I didn't invite trouble and I adopted urban camo philosophy... look, act, feel like you are a part of the landscape and no one gives you a second look. I'm not advocating that anyone go to urban Baltimore for ice cream, but if that is where you live, OWN it or move. If you are uncomfortable in your own neighborhood at night, then perhaps it is time to reevaluate your surroundings. I don't mean any offense to anyone, but that is just my take on it.
    Our old neighborhood went from "Cop Land" with more cruisers on the street at lunch and dinner time than family station wagons, to in less than 16 yrs a Gang land! It was time to move. We had black gang members at one end of the street and mexican gangs at the other. They seemed to always end up fighting in front of our place. The cops would not show up without at least 4 cars! Our new place is not quite Mayberry, but its a long way from Fresno!

This is why I have a Fobus paddle holster. About three seconds and you are good to go. Heck yeah I'm running to the store if I need something. Midnight doesn't scare me.
    ericb327 and blitzburgh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by msthomas View Post
    I spend a lot of time on the range and hit 99% of what I aim at, at 25 yds.
    Hitting a stationary target at that distance tells absolutely nothing about how you will perform in the dynamics of a real fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by msthomas
    sometimes it bothers me how so many people can get a concealed carry, without any necessity to show proficiency with their carry piece of choice.
    There are multiple threads here detailing why proficiency tests to obtain a concealed carry license are a bad idea.

Here is one currently running:
    Why did I not have to take a training course?
    9MMare likes this.

I store my EDC in a Remora when at home. If I'm wearing my gun belt, I put it in the Crossbreed. If I'm wearing my normal gym shorts around the house and have to head out, I just leave it in the Remora and hit the road. Do the same thing if I'm heading to a Doctor's office, or any other place where the law forbids CC, and I know I'm going to have to arm and disarm in the car.

Side note, if you are going to take a risk for ice cream, don't buy Breyer's. Unilever has completely changed the ingredients from the old "Milk, Cream, Sugar, Vanilla Bean" to a laundry list of ingredients of thickeners like guar gum and taro root gum that allows them to drastically cut down on the actually dairy content. It's now the same as the cheap ice cream that's about 1/3 the cost. It's probably better for cover though, so maybe keep a tub of Breyers in your off-hand while searching for the good stuff.
    9MMare likes this.

Im guilty too. If I'm wearing athletic shorts or sweats, I grab my wife's nightstand gun (S&W .38 bodyguard) and put it in my pocket. But as long as I have belt loops I'll put on my 1911.

I may be in the minority here but here are my thoughts:

1. I am not afraid of convenience stores at night, if they have ice cream and are close, I'm goin in.
    2. Whenever I do carry I do not carry a small arsenal. Gun, holster, spare mag (sometimes), and my wallet/keys are about it no matter where or when I go anywhere.
    3. Situational Awareness keeps me safe and has for more than 30 years before I started carrying, I think I am safe.
    4. If it is my time, it won't matter if a killer at a stop and rob shoots me or I drop dead of a heart attack, it was my time. I do what I can to push that day out as far as I can, but it's gonna happen all the same. I just refuse to not live my life because I can't carry a gun, enough ammo, whatever.

I guess it's different if you carry on your person but since I mostly purse carry, the 9mm will go with me, period.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links