Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

This is a discussion on Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay stop with the "race" thing because it don't matter. Oh it might mean something for the first few days, but two weeks after the ...

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

Senior Moderator
    Okay stop with the "race" thing because it don't matter. Oh it might mean something for the first few days, but two weeks after the grocery store shelfs go empty it will matter very little.

The only thing will matter is survival, and people want to live. It won't take long for people to realize that meat comes on two legs as well as four (and I ain't talkin bout no chickens). I do believ that I can handle the groups that come around for the first 30 or so days.

But after that the ones that are around will be tough and hard. They will have learned tactics, stealth and the value of scouting. After 120 days the ones who survive will be very serious and will know what works. They will use fire and maneuver and will be willing to take losses. They will also probably be more like a cult than a gang.

I teach and preach resiliency. You have to be able to adapt to a new reality, and for most of human existence reality was very, very hard
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Back to the topic at hand, yes? We will all be tone-deaf, yes?

Chickens (layers) are pretty low maintenance for a steady source of protein, and I have heard rabbits are pretty easy, although I have no personal experience with same.
    Rabbits are easy, but I think you have to worry about eating too much rabbit because of the high protein and not much else. It can drain vitamins and other nutrients from your body.

... or that may just be a myth.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Rabbits are good especially in an urban environment. Rabbits are pets.....plus their poop doesn't need to be composted before adding it to your garden.

Just a word of warning, if you have small kids it is very easy for rabbits to become pets instead of supper, trust me on this.....
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Rabbits vs Chickens... I have raised both and IMO rabbits are easier but less versatile
    I would consider if possible to raise both, they work well together. Not much space needed, reproduce quickly and easy to care for

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

It can drain vitamins and other nutrients from your body.
    So I have heard...........I'll try to check into that...........

Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou, is a form of acute malnutrition caused by excess consumption of any lean meat (e.g., rabbit) coupled with a lack of other sources of nutrients usually in combination with other stressors, such as severe cold or dry environment. Symptoms include diarrhea, headache, fatigue, low blood pressure and heart rate, and a vague discomfort and hunger that can only be satisfied by consumption of fat or carbohydrates.

It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic.
    QKShooter likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I would much rather have chickens, but for me it is a zoning issue, rabbits pets, chickens live stock. But there is a city council election coming up......
    QKShooter likes this.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Just some thought:

Speaking of food, IE protein, remember to protect your children from predators, if the SHTF and remains for a long period of time.

As bad as it is to think about, child protection should be one of our highest goals.

The hungry predator that we may feel sorry for may wind up being (well you get it).

It seems to me that every person in your defense group who is old enough and responsible enough should be trained and armed at all times for the protection of the whole group and especially the smaller children.

The smaller younger children should be trained to work within the defense plan of the group, and not put them selves or other in danger.

In the 4th video the speaker talks about a underground bunker for his own land, I think he is moving toward being a prepper himself.

Maybe a dose of reality is settling in to his thinking.

This whole thread reminds me of Joe Six Pack and the millions who will be totally unprepared, who wake up after the SHTF with hang over shotgun and 1/2 box of shells.
    QKShooter and Rock and Glock like this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Rabbits are good eatn', but it's true, ya can't live off of them. Rabbits and chickens together with other livestock (hogs, cattle, sheep, etc.) is a good start. Knowing how to cultivate a good garden is a must......

My daughter has a pet rabbit........ I call it 'Gumbo'. I am forbidden to be left alone with it........ ;)

Alot of what we're considering here is speculation at best. History provides the best answer (to surviving) but, at no other time in history has SO much of the population LOST so many of the basic skills needed to sustain life. The most recent event that come to my mind is Hurricane Katrina. Turn the light out, cut off supplies and all infastructure and human nature will go primal near instantaniously.

I see an EOTWAWKI-type event, in terms of survival, in 'threes'...... first 3 days, next three weeks, the following 3 month, etc. What's it take to make it through each of those 'threes'?

I love reading the diffrent views here. The diffrent experiences and backgrounds make for intresting and valuable insights into something of this natuure. I have the skills to survive on my own and/or with a group with similar skills....... however, throw my family into the mix, I am severaly handicapped. Wife and daughters who have no 'real' skills, an austictic son who, without meds, becomes near unmanagable, MIL who's older and frailer in her years.... I have not understood how the women in my family survived before air conditioners became commom and affordable. Perhaps I underestimate the human condition and necissity to survive...?

I'm currently working/living in north-central Asia, in a third-world country at best....... Even here, the city would be a death trap after 3 days and the surrounding population in the 'suburban' areas would be just as hard pressed...... but not nearly as much as in the states. Get out into the countryside here and the population wouldn't hardly notice.
    In the states it'd be much less so, but similar in the same sense. Regardless, the strongest, most adapatable, and smartest will survive those first three months, but life in the big cities would be MUCH tougher than in the rural areas, but some would survive, be it gang-bangers, police/military banding together, local VFW members hooking up with the local 'biker' groups...... the speculation is endless. In rural (NOT suburban) America, those with skills and something to offer a 'community' will make it. It'd take STRONG, intelligent leadership, proper allocation of resourses and available manpower, and a lot of luck.

Skills.....? Who here can make ice without electricty? Make fishing nets or actually run a trot-line? Canning of food/vegetables? Most of us here are competant with our firearms, but what else.........?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Skills.....? Who here can make ice without electricty? Make fishing nets or actually run a trot-line? Canning of food/vegetables? Most of us here are competant with our firearms, but what else.........?
    This echoes my thoughts exactly. As others have alluded to, the skill set needed to survive during the initial weeks will not be the same skill set required three months on or year after. How many of us are Renaissance men?

History shows us two paths to success: communal or lone wolf. If you’re thinking becoming a mountain man is the way to go you might examine the fate of Chris McCandless documented in Into the Wild: Jon Krakauer: 9780307387172: Amazon.com: Books

The techniques of survival are well documented although depending on the cause of the situation you might do well to possess a hardcopy as opposed to electronic version. May I suggest: Amazon.com: foxfire complete set: Books Plying these skills will be another matter. Anything left unattended will be fair game and subject to loss. This causes a problem for running a trap line or growing crops for that matter. You can string a snare across a game trail and catch a rabbit but steel traps were created for a reason: presumably they are more reliable. Do you already possess these types of specialized tools? Do you have the stomach for trapping? In any event trapping is a hit or miss proposition under the best of circumstances.

Quite frankly the prospects for long term survival seem bleak for those of us in the city. As such an individual I can tell you I won’t be trying to get out of Dodge immediately. If was a criminal predator who needed supplies the best place to go would be the mass migration of well stocked sheep exiting the city. If you think there is safety in numbers ask a gazelle.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

With respect to Rule #6...

I would just like to point out my new signature line.

I realize this isn't for everyone, but I know it applies to many here.

Love the Foxfire series BTW...

Good reference Caertaker!

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Don't forget about hygiene! Dental care is another big issue in a SHTF scenario as well.
    You get a tooth ache and you are out of luck!

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    A lot of this also depends on the SHTF scenario.
    Has half or more of the population been wiped out? [ LIke The Stand?]
    Is it natural or manmade? World wide or local?
    Are the nukes flying?
    I think what ever may happen will dictate what you/we are going to do.
    If it's a SHTF scenario where you can get to heavy weaponry you can bet your assets you're going to.

t can drain vitamins and other nutrients from your body.
    I thought you were talking about women there fer a second.

Michael
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    Rabbits vs Chickens... I have raised both and IMO rabbits are easier but less versatile
    I would consider if possible to raise both, they work well together. Not much space needed, reproduce quickly and easy to care for

Sent via Messenger Pigeon
    Some breeds of chickens will pretty much take care of themselves. With game hens just toss out a handful of cheap grain on the ground and some water to keep them coming home and they will find everything else they need on their own. They eat mice, worms, bugs, maggots table scraps if you let them. If they have a tree to roost in they will stay safe from most predators as well.
    Its the overly domesticated breeds that have lost their ability to fend for themselves. Game hens and cocks are truly amazing animals.

Michael

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Its the overly domesticated breeds that have lost their ability to fend for themselves."

Proof in point, the domesticated turkey. Can't even breed naturally anymore. And they are as dumb as all the stories say.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Links