Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

This is a discussion on Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CharlesMorri Which of course means "you'll go down fighting". But who now will look after "yours" now that you are gone? No, ...

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    Which of course means "you'll go down fighting". But who now will look after "yours" now that you are gone?
    No, it doesn't mean that. You're only inferring that to be my meaning. I think you're reading too much into it.

I'm with you: a "fight" can be of many flavors, often (preferably) entailing withdrawing and/or changing the mix sufficient to allow one to fight another day. Actually, changing the mix sufficiently to allow one to fight another day, always, whatever that entails. You're right, that being downed means a person loses all. The successful "fight" is the one in which we go home at night to our loved ones.

But the sentiment still stands: that having the mindset of giving it one's all to survive is the level of commitment, training and preparedness one needs in order to make it through, particularly when it gets ugly. No matter the wording. And by that I agree "ugly" can be tactically ugly, ugly in terms of weapons, a situation in which it's far smarter or preferable to back down, withdraw or whatever (as opposed to fighting it out right then and there every time). BTDT, though not in firefights, with different tactics, weapons (or lack of weapons) used in each instance, in a couple of them not involving any fight right then and there. They were all wins, irrespective of the method, and not least due to the simple fact I made it home from each of them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe. Maybe not but I sure as heck ain't gonna fight till I'm dead. I can fall back and plan.
    You can't do that if "you go down fighting".
    Fair enough, but keep in mind that to fall back and plan while losing all of one's "stuff" could be a death sentence as well in the type of extended doomsday situation we are discussing. Resources will be scarce, hence the marauding hordes of BGs eager to overrun your home to take what's yours. Ultimately it's a lose-lose. All we can do is prepare to the best of our abilities and try to learn and maintain the skills needed to survive whether it be bugging out or bugging in. Whichever way it goes, it most likely won't be a pleasant existence.

Administrator
    I do know what the man meant so no need to play scrambled thought semantics.
    He was not intending to say "OK...I know I'm going to die so let me see if I can "waste" at least two bad guys so that I can give up and then die happy with a smile on my face."
    Sorry if you read/interpreted his post that way but, we all do interpret written words differently (I guess) and with alternative perceived meanings and intent.

Can we move on and forward now since the thread is now going off on this directionless tangent with too many follow-up replies debating the exact meaning of one post of minimal importance and I can envision it leading to personal type attacks that were not part of my greater purpose in putting on this thread.

I make that comment because to "go down fighting" is a futile comment. It's a defeatist term.
    It's bravado at its worst and implies that one has given in.
    He has the wrong mindset. I have no desire to go down fighting. I will punish those who would attempt to take mine.
    If I have to I will retreat to fight another day, to pull back, regroup and hit them again and again.
    It will be costly for "them", not me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration

"Everybody gotta die some time, Red." SSG Bob Barnes
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

it's always the same crap IMO.............the lights go out and "they" try to take what's not theirs......riots, looting, robberies, rape like what happened during Catrina.......same old stuff......seen it first hand in the '60's....not threatened by it either. I listened to the videos and not really impressed......sounded more like a threat behind a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    it's always the same crap IMO.............the lights go out and they try to take what's not theirs......riots, looting, robberies, rape like what happened during Catrina.......same old stuff......seen it first hand in the '60's....not threatened by it either. I listened to the videos and not really impressed......sounded more like a threat behind a smile.
    ??????
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

??????
    the bad guys, whoever they may be wherever they may be in whatever color they may be
    suntzu likes this.

why the focus on guns & ammo...and not vegetable seeds?
    LongRider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I do know what the man meant so no need to play scrambled thought semantics.
    He was not intending to say "OK...I know I'm going to die so let me see if I can "waste" at least two bad guys so that I can give up and then die happy with a smile on my face."
    Sorry if you read/interpreted his post that way but, we all do interpret written words differently (I guess) and with alternative perceived meanings and intent.

Can we move on and forward now since the thread is now going off on this directionless tangent with too many follow-up replies debating the exact meaning of one post of minimal importance and I can envision it leading to personal type attacks that were not part of my greater purpose in putting on this thread.
    I agree with you and I probably read far more into OldVet's post than was intended.
    The others who replied to my post also had valid and solid comments as well.

I grew up in the "bad" side of my town and was witness to a great deal of suffering perpetrated by "those who would take yours". I've done my best at the time to try to even those odds out.

You are right though. My petty post took this thread off topic and for that, I am sorry.

I am also sorry for posting against OldVet as I don't know him well enough to make such a post. As my father in law used to say, if it wasn't for him and a few of his buddies, we'd all be speaking Japanese! The Vets of this country are true heroes and it was disrespectful of me to post as such.

I am sorry.
    QKShooter likes this.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    Let's see...

"Deeee-fennnn-sivvve Carrrrry dot com."

Yup. Thought that was where we were.

Although, an avacado seed in a sock has certain uses.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    One thing that will hinder many "preppers" in the fight for their lives is their adherence to life long rules. What many fail to understand or realize is that when the SHTF, there is one rule and one rule only...Survival of the fittest. Nothing else will matter, all law will become null and void.

When society as we know it collapses for any reason, there will be no law or order. Panic will be the rule, rather than the exception. Many people, if not most, will be behind the curve when this takes place and many will want to deny the horrors that they will encounter because it is human nature to do so.

The videos offer an insight to the expectations of some that will operate unhindered by the law. Rather than dismiss it as some gang banging talk, take the time to listen and learn about the the possible threats that one may not have thought of. As the warrior Sun Tzu often stated, the know and understand the enemy is the first step of learning how to defeat him.

We had a discussion about posting this thread in back in the Moderators room and whether it should even be posted or not. We knew that many would dismiss it as insignificant, we knew that some would refuse to believe that it could happen here in this country and we knew that some would just say that it was the talk of a gang banger that didn't matter.

It was posted to show how predators think and how they might act. If these series of videos gives anyone pause, if it causes anyone to think about possible scenarios that they might not have thought of, then it is well worth watching. Some great points are brought up and if an actual scenario were to occur, then maybe, just maybe, understanding what might happen before it does happen might actually save some lives.

Correct....Sun Tzu still is relavent.

Administrator
    CharlesMorri ~ No problem. You bring up a valid point also. Sometimes it is absolutely necessary to fall back, regroup, rethink possible and available options, explore from a different perspective.
    That is something that I know for a fact from actual life experience though it is not relevant to this particular scenario. And so I won't delve into it here.
    I will only say that I agree that in any true dire circumstance it is critically important not to allow a defeatist attitude to creep in and cloud up rational thought processes.
    So yours was an important addition also but, it just entered into the thread through a slight misinterpretation of a post. That is fine.
    Don't lose any sleep over it. It happens all the time on Internet forums because we are limited to reading what another member types.
    It can never be the same as sitting in the same room with folks eating pizza and having an intelligent conversation when there can be instant verbal clarification by everyone in the room.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    I think I may have found a list of more "appropriate" forums for you pythius.

The GardenWeb Forums - GardenWeb

-

rather than focusing on individual survival, folks should create large networks of like-minded people to work together.

United we stand, divided we fall.

There should be plans to create mini-societies all over the country, prepared to provide for the basic needs of all if the SHTF.

there is more than enough land around this country to provide for tens of thousands of mini-societies.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I think I may have found a list of more "appropriate" forums for you pythius.

The GardenWeb Forums - GardenWeb

-
    why, cause folks can live on bullets alone and won't need to eat?

In all seriousness, if folks want to REALLY prepare for a doomsday scenario, where most elements of society break-down, people should be forming local networks of skilled individuals who will be ready to move their families to a chosen location, where everyone will get together and provide for the needs of all..until the crisis is over.

That would include doctors, teachers, farmers, policemen..who form the backbone of any society.

they would pick a spot where they would live off the land, teach the children, protect their borders and keep their mini-society orderly & peaceful, until such time as a larger government is again in place.

there is MORE than enough open land in this country, to provide for such mini-socities for say...100 million people.

Links