Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

This is a discussion on Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pythius my rifle will accompany me. That .22 you were telling us about on that other thread?...

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    my rifle will accompany me.
    That .22 you were telling us about on that other thread?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    would you like to see pictures of my 450 sq. ft. farm plot in Queens, where I grow cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, parsley, celery, green pepper, yellow pepper, radishes, basil, and snap peas?

yeah, I'm one of THOSE NYers. ;)
    Have you tried gardening on virgin ground? I have. How about water? Ever try hauling your own?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    That .22 you were telling us about on that other thread?
    many folks believe that a .22 LR is a perfect bug-out gun. Its easy to carry LOTS of ammo, and buy LOTS of ammo.

so don't turn this into a ".22 LR is a crappy bug-out gun" thread, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Have you tried gardening on virgin ground? I have. How about water? Ever try hauling your own?
    yes, I have hauled my own water. Its a pain..but it gets done.

VIP Member
    many folks believe that a .22 LR is a perfect bug-out gun. Its easy to carry LOTS of ammo, and buy LOTS of ammo.

What many people believe isn't really my concern, as long as those beliefs don't impact things like public policy.
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What many people believe isn't really my concern, as long as those beliefs don't impact things like public policy.
    You got me on that one....what public policy can be influeneced by having many folks beleive that a .22lr is a good bug out/SHTF caliber?

BTW: I have 22 lr planned in case of bugging out. (Actually, that is the wifes LOL)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You got me on that one....what public policy can be influeneced by having many folks beleive that a .22lr is a good bug out/SHTF caliber?
    They might find my shtf gear to be excessive, and outlaw it.
    Tuco

Pythius, you're seen to be floundering a bit as has been demonstrated by others reading your views on "bugging out." Don't make the mistake of attempting to dominate the thread, instructing other members on how they should post.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

This whole issue or doomsday preppers gives me a headache. No one knows what the apocalypic event will be, when it will be, and how long it will last. There are literally 100's of scenarios that can happen. Folks that advocate building up a group of friends and varying professions make a good point. Going it alone is also a good avenue to approach this topic.

As far as equipment and weapons. Again.....what are you preparing for? The old adage "prepare for the worst...." sounds good but is hard to apply to this. The worst would be like on the show Revolution where there is no electricity for the forseeable future. Or a real nuclear war. It is about impossible for most folks to prepare for that situation.

Will people come together and work together to fight of a minority of thugs? Or will it be the other way around and have a totally lawless state. This is the "SunTzu's Family Doomsday Plan": (condensed version)

1. Enough food to last in our current house for 90 days. To include the ability to keep growing and sustaining our own supply.
    2. If we see the need to "bug" out we will go back to NH where we have generators, fuel, food, water (well).
    3. I view weapons as mostly being used for hunting. That is why I am relying on a 22LR for that. I will have an AR chambered for .308 also plus handguns for personal defense. But we have not fooled ourselves into thinking we can carry enough ammo to fight off a continiuing hoard of thugs. If you need to fight off a grooup and prevail then you can collect ammo from them.
    4. We have trained and lived off the land. We both have survival skills and medical skills.

Are there flaws in the above? You bet. Did we cover every possible emergencey. No way. What happens if this goes on for years? Who knows.

One thing I have noticed when folks talk about prepping is what is the sommunication plan for loved ones? My son is in college living in the dorm. What happens if there is a crazy event like an EMP? How will we meet? Folks seem to forget that part.

BTW: My new project is growing plants hydroponicly.....I am making a one 10 plant and one 36 plant NFT system this weekend. If anyone has done this PM me. I would love to learn more.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    This whole issue or doomsday preppers gives me a headache. No one knows what the apocalypic event will be, when it will be, and how long it will last. There are literally 100's of scenarios that can happen. Folks that advocate building up a group of friends and varying professions make a good point. Going it alone is also a good avenue to approach this topic.
    Amen to the headache. I think to each their own as far as how one will determine their best train of thought and practice for survival. I think your "100's" could easily turn into thousands actually. But as far as the basics that would probably preserve us for a while and simply due to location alone, you have many things that will work for some but not others. Good to hear the ideas though.

Side note: I find it interesting to see how people on defensivecarry.com have the mindset and forethought to survive and protect. My thought is, if you put it in perspective, the ratio of those not preparing at all to those who are, is probably close to the ratio of people who depend on 911 to those who don't. Ahh we don't have to pick that apart. It was just a thought. But I haven't heard anyone here say that they are going to depend on 911, govt. and other people to get them through tough chaotic times.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I've yet to see any evidence of SHTFers creating large networks of people, with plans to bug-out to specific locations, preparing the right skill-groups to provide for a mini-society for several years. That means doctors, teachers, farmers, and other professions needed for a stable society to function.

however, if there is such a place on the internet where you can network with folks in you area for such a scenario, please let me know. :)
    When SHTF - The Modern Day Survival Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    cool!! I have some skills that they might find useful. :)

When that time comes, our community will be closed off. It is very easy to do. Nearly everyone there will band together. I am quite certain we will share with the peaceful, but the roving bands of thugs and killers will be shot on sight. I live in a peaceful, enjoyable community full of good people who have lots of guns, and by and large, are prepared for bad times, and will not turn on each other.

Heh...they shoot first ask later around here so I'm not too worried there. They actually had a community meeting about a year or so ago with the local LEO's regarding the need to catch some vermin rather quickly because they were rightly worried they would have good ole' boys riding around in the backs of pickups shooting anything that moved...
    All of that was due to some knuckleheads that were breaking into peoples homes while they were on vacation and stealing all of the copper piping and wiring and in many cases cutting the pipes out without even turning off the main first(thereby flooding said home for weeks)...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

A very interesting thread. I've been following it for a few days now. One noteworthy thing I haven't seen addressed is the issue of climate, specifically WINTER. Seasoned firewood and available coal will become scarce quickly. Depending on when the electricity goes out and fuel supplies dry up, I see a migration of many toward the equator (warmth). International boundaries will become almost meaningless. The ability to sail in open waters (Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean) and speak Spanish would be valuable. Folks in the northern hemisphere will try to escape our winter and folks in the southern hemisphere will try to escape theirs. Of course I could be wrong about all this, but I for one wouldn't want to try to tough it out in a cold environment if I could help it. All speculation, who knows what will happen?

Links