Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

This is a discussion on Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another thing to add here. For those of you like me who have a well and don't want to waste gasoline to run a generator ...

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

Another thing to add here. For those of you like me who have a well and don't want to waste gasoline to run a generator to get water, don't be caught in a prolonged situation without one of these.

Bison Hand Water Pumps

Flojak Hand Well Pump - Backup Hand Pump for Well

It would be such a shame to have all that nice, fresh water and no way to get it. I would lean toward water being about the most important thing to have and yet one of the first things that people are going to run out of.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Another thing to add here. For those of you like me who have a well and don't want to waste gasoline to run a generator to get water, don't be caught in a prolonged situation without one of these.

Bison Hand Water Pumps

Flojak Hand Well Pump - Backup Hand Pump for Well

It would be such a shame to have all that nice, fresh water and no way to get it. I would lean toward water being about the most important thing to have and yet one of the first things that people are going to run out of.
    Yep, so many things besides food and weapons will become precious if things go long term. Water, wool, neosporin packets, Allen wrenches, sturdy boots, slingshots, the list is almost endless.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tolduonce View Post
    One noteworthy thing I haven't seen addressed is the issue of climate, specifically WINTER. Seasoned firewood and available coal will become scarce quickly.
    Got that right. The homes I select or build tend to be less than 100 sq ft. Generally good for down to -40F

Can't get too small or the wood stove will roast me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Got that right. The homes I select or build tend to be less than 100 sq ft. Generally good for down to -40F

Can't get too small or the wood stove will roast me out.
    That's a pretty small house.

Do you mean 1000 sq ft?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    Presently I am living in a community chock full of unarmed knuckleheads so when the armed knuckleheads hit my community and I eventually venture out I will be stepping over deceased Normalcy Biased Knuckleheads everywhere I go.

Then eventually the rodents and predatory beasts will come to feed on the decaying knuckleheads and there will be nobody around for me to say: "I told you so."

I am not in an ideal environment right now. I do have a place in the country that I can bug out to BUT...getting there may be a real crap-shoot.

If the SHTF and for any reason I had to grab the B.O.B. and quickly exit our home - me and the Mrs. could do rock bottom subsistence living for approximately 20 days with nothing but the contents of my B.O.B. though we will suffer some weight loss - My B.O.B. is heavy but, all I would really need to do is hump it down through a section of woods bordering the Ohio River (within easy walking distance) where there is an easily defensible natural cave formation in the hillside that I have already checked out and not seen any physical evidence of any humans having been in there for many years. Decades actually. I camouflaged and covered the small entrance last year. It has some disadvantages and some advantages. An endless supply of easily filterable water being one advantage.
    If I was smart I would cache some food there now but, as of yet I've (admittedly) not been that smart.

But, in no way am I looking forward to living Neanderthal.

Since I have had a PM question already about the above in RED - Answer: Survival Tabs & Food Bars. They will keep you alive....But, plan on feeling hungry.
    I should also add that the Survival Tabs and the Food Bars will add weight to your B.O.B. because both are dense compressed nutrition but, one bottle of Survival Tabs will keep one adult alive for 15 days. So...worth the weight? Yes, as they are the most compressed "food" available.

Imgp1235.jpg
    Survival Tabs

I would suggest that everybody buy at least one bottle of Survival Tabs to pop into the ol' Bug Out Bag.
    Call and order (Nice Folks) and tell them that you heard about Survival Tabs on DefensiveCarry
    Here You Go~~~~~~> http://www.survivaltabs.com/

Just as an FYI - I did 6 full days (personal test) living on just the Survival Tabs - plus water - Plus morning Black Coffee + Plain Tea (no sugar) and I lost some weight and was pretty sick of them by then but, obviously I made it. Good Product.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    would you like to see pictures of my 450 sq. ft. farm plot in Queens, where I grow cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, parsley, celery, green pepper, yellow pepper, radishes, basil, and snap peas?

yeah, I'm one of THOSE NYers. ;)
    Nice!

It would take less than a nite to raid and clear that....you could post a guard(s) but you'd owe them something...and that produce wont go that far.

Are you saving seeds from the produce (doesnt get eaten) so you have food for next yr?

Have you ever started plants from seeds? They are very fragile. Forget to water them for one hot day once they sprout...and they're gone. They require attention and specific conditions for a long or short period of time (depending on plant). Lose them and your season is done.

How much water do you have to haul by hand to water your garden once the electricity goes?

Yeah....living off the land is simple!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    why the focus on guns & ammo...and not vegetable seeds?
    Both are very valid and necessary. Whatever you grow, whatever you hunt...you have to protect it. You have to get it home to your family. You have to leave your family alone and go further and further to hunt...without gas powered vehicles probably. Your gardens need TONS of manpower and SKILL (yes, it's not simple) and the luck of decent weather.

You can hunt or grow lots of things but there will be plenty of people more than happy to not bother...and just take what you have....so you'll need guns and ammo and partners to help keep watch.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

This is why we have a self sustaining homestead over two miles up a dirt road over 100 miles from the nearest high density population over 20 miles from the nearest town. With a 922,561 acres or 1442 square mile back yard not counting, state land forestry lands and other undeveloped lands clear to the ocean. Which by the way is all already spoken for and those that plan on bugging out here are in for a big surprise because their imagined BOL will be being defended from entrenched positions by communities whose lives depend upon that wilderness area to survive. By the time any rag tag posse of thugs hits our neck of the woods he will meet our posse of well fed well armed northwest hillbilly rednecks that do know how to shoot straight. Several of whom are combat vets and have no problem planting trash in the dirt long before the trash even knows it is being targeted.
    rstanek and Rock and Glock like this.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    This is why we have a self sustaining homestead over two miles up a dirt road over 100 miles from the nearest high density population over 20 miles from the nearest town. With a 922,561 acres or 1442 square mile back yard not counting, state land forestry lands and other undeveloped lands clear to the ocean. Which by the way is all already spoken for and those that plan on bugging out here are in for a big surprise because their imagined BOL will be being defended from entrenched positions by communities whose lives depend upon that wilderness area to survive. By the time any rag tag posse of thugs hits our neck of the woods he will meet our posse of well fed well armed northwest hillbilly rednecks that do know how to shoot straight. Several of whom are combat vets and have no problem planting trash in the dirt long before the trash even knows it is being targeted.
    If that is state land it sounds like you guys are being the thugs by claiming it for yourself. If I misunderstood then disregard.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Moderator
    If that is state land it sounds like you guys are being the thugs by claiming it for yourself
    A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do to survive. Its the law of the jungle.
    Its a harsh law that many wont figure out until its too late.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do to survive. Its the law of the jungle.
    Its a harsh law that many wont figure out until its too late.
    Not arguing that...just saying you can't take the high road on this if some folks want to take that "state" land for their own use. Simply put, there is no higher moral ground. The op said this:
    By the time any rag tag posse of thugs
    Who are the thugs? Maybe the thugs are just like him with their fammlies and trying to find a place to survive. How can someone be thugs for trying to use public land for survival when another group has claimed it for themselves. Did that come out better?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Senior Moderator
    In a SHTf situation, we all become "thugs" whether we like it or not.
    Rock and Glock and QKShooter like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That was my point....the poster is no better morally than anyone else trying to survive......
    QKShooter likes this.

How so? In many of the cited historical examples, SHTF distinctly didn't create thugs of everyone, given the moral fiber and character of the affected population.
    suntzu, Tangle and QKShooter like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    How so? In many of the cited historical examples, SHTF distinctly didn't create thugs of everyone, given the moral fiber and character of the affected population.
    +1

In addition, I don't agree that all will become thugs in difficult times - some will become heroes.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Links