Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. - Page 3

Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

This is a discussion on Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well say I've got an AR and a full size pistol (and didn't lose them in that terrible boating accident in the gulf)... That means ...

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

Well say I've got an AR and a full size pistol (and didn't lose them in that terrible boating accident in the gulf)...

That means I have 45ish rds immediately on hand. Throw in a spare mag for the AR or pistol and that number jumps to 60-75.... Both and you end up with 90.... Catch my drift?

I have a feeling this roving gang would end up rotting on said driveway serving as a reminder to the next group that comes by looking for trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.
    msgt/ret and QKShooter like this.

You know I sit here and read this stuff and I listened to buttface's vid.
    But around here in a small town were Everyone knows everyone, you have a large platoon, ok, mabe a company of armed people that will defend their community, Because they like what the have,
    here in the small American town. Folks will establish a network. they will cast out the trouble makers. and defend their places all over.
    And when the scouts see them comming, the defenders will keep them out. Thats something people have done from the beginning of the human race.
    Small groups and town folks, will be the one's that restore order. If your a prepper you may have to give something up, but order and defence would be worth it.
    If I were to be asked for something, to give for order I would. But try and just take it, you can when I'm out of bullets, and I am dead it's yours, but i'm not going alone.
    david

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I couldn't watch the video. If I want to see someone run their mouth, it's available live. The one thing I would like to offer is the predators society faces today may not be the most dangerous beasts after a SHTF. I like to think I my morality is ingrained and I would "do the right thing" even when no one is looking. But I am a human and as such, capable of perpetuating unimaginable horror. Without societal bounds, deprived of the things I live for and the stresses of a SHTF scenario what's to say I wouldn't snap? It's not hard for me to imagine that a trained, armed person might easily revert those shadows lurking in man's collective subconscious and simply decide to hunt people. Survival would become a by-product of hunting big game not the point. Depending on your skill, you get to play again and we all know we want to "stay in the game". Just a thought...
    QKShooter and Regoria75 like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    He's right in that those with a plan who join together to form a tightly knit unit will enhance their survival aspects. They will need to work together, pool their resources, learn to trust each others abilities and cross-train. He is also right in that ammo will be precious no matter how much you have. That's where knowing how to set up a perimeter and establish choke points comes in. Also, as someone alluded to, there are any number of ingenious ways of discouraging entrance.

Well, working in a jail you learn some things. First among them is that people can be cold blooded soulless killers, and still be cowards. Why do gang bangers do drive by's? Because they are cowards. You wouldn't have to shoot very many of them before they will look for easier prey. There will be a few hard cases that will be very dangerous, but you know head of the snake and what not. I will say I do agree you need some numbers if for no other reason than you have to sleep and somebody has to have the watch. I also think if the rule of law broke down totally, that people like "us" would go hunting for people like "them". Are there military trained gang bangers? Sure, but there are a lot more military and LEO trained descent people with families to protect.

While I hardly support this guy's plans... I will take them seriously. Just another consideration for those who plan for such disasters. I see other than a corrections officer, people fail to understand the gang mentality. Gang members understand that some of them will die. They accept this. Like in many societies dying for the group is a honor. Our own military is a perfect example. While gang members are not as professional... They are no less dedicated. Gang members are not cowards, confused, misled, and out of touch with reality... but not cowards. Survival in the cities in normal times is difficult... for anyone of any race who makes less than $60,000. Most people find themselves below this income level. People in the city learn early to stratigize, plan, and fight. City folks tend to be pretty tough, and very able to adapt and improvise. To think they are incapable of foraging for survival is just foolish. And there is a whole lot more people living in the cities than gang members.

I wouldnt consider myself a prepper. However I do have supplies, and plans in place to survive an inturruption of civil society. I along with a few friends plan to support each other. One consideration we've discussed is roving bands, and superior numbers. In the long term we understand that for our group to survive we may have to take from others at some point. Were a sub-urbam/rural group of people. So some preppers may have to prepare for other people like them to be looking for what they have. Hunger, and survival are cruel masters, It's not going to be easy, or pretty. Many people wont even be able to trust those neighbors and friends they first banded with. As the situation go's longer the things people value may change. Food may not be as hard to come by at some point but women become scarce, or ammo may be plentifull for a while but become scarce, and edged weapon making skill's become more valuable.
    QKShooter, OD* and pgrass101 like this.

Maybe different places are different, but around here the gang members are cowards. They are bad asses until they think there is the slightest chance they will lose. If they out number you 3 to 1 they will kick your ass, but anything near a fair fight and they run. When they are injured in the course of committing a crime, they are always shocked. They are dedicated in that they will kill for each other, or even go to prison for each other, but very few of them will die for each other. Most of them will literally step on each other in panic when faced with deadly threat.

Administrator
    I have posted "likes" for many members who have posted a thoughtful opinion in this thread no matter if I totally agree with it or not.
    I want to encourage thoughtful non-racial debate on the topic of hoards and gang mentality etc. keeping in mind that potentially predatory people come in all flavors and varieties. Especially when food, shelter, family, medicine, etc. etc. are in jeopardy.

I know that in my case I live in a tight "one square mile" community comprised of decent people - the majority of them not being armed and not only are they not prepared for any major life changing event "let alone SHTF) but, most of them wouldn't have any idea of how to handle it if a shoe lace broke and stores were sold out of shoe laces.

Im not going to give you my plan, but I will say this, you know that SOB everyone is worried about. Thats me....When I am done, the haves will have no longer. Make no mistake, Im not robin hood, so it will not be shared. Living in the city does have its benefits.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I made it about two minutes into the first video if even that far. While I fully understand that these types of guys are out there, I am not one of his audience members and he clearly has no idea what he would be up against should he and his pack of thugs decide to go on a supplies round-up outside of his "marked territory". Such a shame the decisions some folks make in life these days. I truly hope the SHTF never happens, but in the event it ever does, I sure hope this guy and those like him don't put my constitution to the test. I'll have no problem defending what's mine and keeping the spoils from any conflict brought to my door.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

The belief that 'reality TV' is reality gives testament gets him into trouble right off the bat. He and his posse may understand gangs and gang mentality but where I live we understand community. I suspect like minded neighbors will simply guard the choke points leading into my little community. Once reality sets in the the stores shelves are emptied I suspect the foragers wil be here in about 9 days assuming they will travel at 10 miles per day in warm weather. Once here they can wade the swamp - swim the river or face the armed citizens on the bridges. Note the Joe Nobody books give a simple but interesting prespective on prepping.
    Phillep Harding likes this.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who will not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I truly hope the SHTF never happens, but in the event it ever does, I sure hope this guy and those like him don't put my constitution to the test. I'll have no problem defending what's mine and keeping the spoils from any conflict brought to my door.
    If SHTF truly occurs, IMO it'll play out just as you describe ... everywhere those with food/resources exist in proximity to those who don't, for many of the reasons portrayed by the guy in the videos: because the resources are there, they need them, and they'll die without them. Lacking compunction on the part of such predators (including those already predators, and those who circumstances drive to become so), it'll play out just like that.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 1st, 2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling ... again
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Molon labe
    Bad Bob likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    I also think if the rule of law broke down totally(snip)
    This statement really jumped out at me as one that warrants consideration. Think about how (current) 'rule of law' works and how many ways the masses must agree to play let's pretend. Power lies where people believe it lies. Currently that is with the politicians, leos, and judicial system; a fragile structure that could change easily and rapidly.

I think that initially there would be large losses and as things (and people) die down that there would be a revival of the small communities, a more tribal existence. It would be necessary for survival, just like it was in times past. Eventually commerce would resume in some form, communities would build and people would relearn lost skills.

We would also have some advantages over earlier civilizations in that technology wouldn't be totally gone. While not like today, we would have power and machines, and sources of knowledge. This would help things to stabilize too.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links