Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

This is a discussion on Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We, as a society, believe in and rely on the rule of law. In our day-to-day lives we expect everyone around us to behave as ...

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

We, as a society, believe in and rely on the rule of law. In our day-to-day lives we expect everyone around us to behave as a member of civil society. We also know that there are "BGs", so we have followed the rules & armed ourselves and comport ourselves...within the rule of law. BGs, terrorists, et al know our rules better than we do. They depend on society to remain "civil" and always follow the rule of law...it's the secret to their success because they have no rules.

I believe that there are elements of our society that are waiting for an opportunity to rage, burn, and loot "en masse." Why do they wait? Because if there are hundreds of rioters/looters, their individual chances of getting away with it are increased dramatically. Let there be no mistake, we are all 1 mistake by a LEO or 1 unpopular verdict away from having to fight our way into or out of our homes. We only have to remember what happened in London, to see a need to prepare for a short term collapse of civil society in certain areas of a town/city.

A national collapse of all civil society has about the same odds of me winning the Lottery 10 times in-a-row. If it does happen...well, there are no rules for me to follow...
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    First of all, he does not advocate going out and killing anyone to steal their stuff. He doesn't deny it will happen, but he clearly states that will not be his initial goal in assembling a "gang."
    Video #2, 4:22 to 4:30...

"Guess what? You don't have nothin when my posse comes for you. *chuckles* That's OUR supply"

Can't decide if he's speaking 1st or 3rd person here...

pittypat21 likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Apparently this charming soft spoken young man has not finished reading his Rawles book. Which chapter was it where Rawles discusses gathering an association of like minded people? I forget. The young man seems to think he's the first person who's thought of gathering a group together.

Gosh! Next thing you know he'll be reinventing the telephone! And look how he rolls "us guys" into one hairy ball. Each situation will be different and he won't know any more than we what's really going to happen until either he and his family posse or we and our posse are sitting on the ground bleeding out. And watch out for the old ladies, young man, we're good shots, too. It doesn't take much muscle to point and shoot and I can still get body mass even without my laser sight.

Hoganbeg's wife

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Video #2, 4:22 to 4:30...

"Guess what? You don't have nothin when my posse comes for you. *chuckles* That's OUR supply"

Can't decide if he's speaking 1st or 3rd person here...

That's what I mean when I said he doesn't deny it might happen (I also believe that in that context he was speaking very generally about ANY group that forms to go looking for stuff) but he states that his initial intention of assembly was not just to go out and loot.

Either way, I really don't care. It doesn't matter if he and his gang are coming or another gang elsewhere.. there's a lesson to be learned there and people who just want to quibble about the semantics of this individual and his video and whether or not he was talking about himself or others are really not seeing the big picture.

Certainly a concern, but I would suggest that the types of folks who typically occupy those roles are of high moral character.
    When the governing society of morals collapses I think we will all be surprised at how amoral your people of "high moral character" become. There will be those who maintain their character and even use their skills to defend against those who let it collapse, but there will be plenty of people who sluff off societal morals with a sigh of relief and smile at the prospect of all the evil they can dish out and get away with.

OD*
    Civilization is a very, very thin veneer.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Take a quick look as Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and see what the first and most basic needs are. When TEOTWAWKI comes, those will become the overpowering forces.
    CGColorado likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    I think that people are missing some themes from these videos and a some of the posts here.

1) You cannot do it alone, you have to have help wether it is your gang banging buddies or your survivalist cousins, you need a community to survive long term.

2) I consider myself a reasonably well prepared person of high moral standing, but if times are tough and you aren't carrying your weight I am not going to carry your slack, and if my sons are straving I will get them food or die trying. I am not alone in this, there are about 150 million people who are more or less like me in the US.

Good people in desperate situations will do despearte things. We have to understand this, just having 52 weeks of food is not enough. You have to think long term security.

3. Know your neighbors, find out who is going to be worth something when the chips are down. Those hippie organic farmers with their zero carbon farm might be people you want to team up with.

4. You have to think Resilience the ability to be flexible, to adapt to a rapidly changing enviroment. Survival of the fittest doesn't mean the strongest but survival of those who are better equipped for surviving by being able to best adjust to changes in their enviroment.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    His point is valid. In a TRUE SHTF scenario, you might be talking about hundreds of thousands in panic mode!
    It's all good to type on this forum about how that won't happen to you but in reality it will.
    You go ahead and think about how you will "fend off" those nasty critters looking for your stuff. Just remember that word will travel fast and it won't be long before an organized group of competent fighters knock your doors down.
    Laugh now but know this.... When the SHTF....and you are a prepper... Eventually someone will show up to relieve you of your stuff.. Period.
    Humans have been effectively killing each other since the dawn of time. That won't change in a SHTF scenario. One or two simply thrown Molotov cocktails can ruin all your years of prepping.
    At least the gene pool will be cleared up some once its over.
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    My opinion is that you may see some roving gangs in cities but few will venture out of the city. After all in a rural environment most will not have the survival skills to procure food, water, shelter or even care for themselves.
    Not to mention, they know that they are more likely to encounter people who will shoot first and ask questions later in the rural areas. People in the rural areas have a tendency to shoot, shovel & shut-up.

They know they are much safer pillaging the urban areas where a large portion of the population are unarmed sheep cowering in little huddled masses and are too politically correct to actually use violence as a means of defending them selves.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

People are under the belief that in a long term disaster the rural areas would be safe until the urban types ran out of things to steal from each other and then invade the rural areas to prey on the peaceful people out there. If fact what I believe those urban gangs will find will be rural gangs who have been preying on their own in the country the same as the urban gangs did to their neighbors in the cities.

What makes people think that its only the city folks that will be unprepared? That somehow the rural areas have been untouched by Government handouts and have not lost their ability to survive on their own? A few years back my section of rural Oklahoma was struck by an ice storm lasting over a week knocking out all electrical power. I was amazed by the number of young healthy families who ran out of food. Those who had food but let it spoil because they were to ignorant to set the food outside in the freezing cold to preserve it.
    Do any of us believe that these rural folks who could not fend for themselves for just over a week of hard times would not be out taking from their neighbors who had prepared?

Michael
    suntzu, pgrass101 and Glhadiator like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    People are under the belief that in a long term disaster the rural areas would be safe until the urban types ran out of things to steal from each other and then invade the rural areas to prey on the peaceful people out there. If fact what I believe those urban gangs will find will be rural gangs who have been preying on their own in the country the same as the urban gangs did to their neighbors in the cities.

What makes people think that its only the city folks that will be unprepared? That somehow the rural areas have been untouched by Government handouts and have not lost their ability to survive on their own? A few years back my section of rural Oklahoma was struck by an ice storm lasting over a week knocking out all electrical power. I was amazed by the number of young healthy families who ran out of food. Those who had food but let it spoil because they were to ignorant to set the food outside in the freezing cold to preserve it.
    Do any of us believe that these rural folks who could not fend for themselves for just over a week of hard times would not be out taking from their neighbors who had prepared?

Michael
    In NH we were one of the few folks in miles that had a generator. Had neighbors (who we hardly talked to, we all had at least 20 acre-80 acres of land) coming to us after we lost power during a blizzard. I know as many "city folks" as I do country folk that are prepared.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

It CAN I did not say will. Reach a point quickly where LEO will be useless. As we have seen in the day of rage and Detroit burning. Unless someone can step in and buy the peace it will not stop and LEO can do little.
    Once officers are gun down in the street in numbers they will Go home. If you have even been in a country where rule of law has failed you would know that.
    What Homey does not understand in 15 acres is 100 and more. And that the rifle will drop them long before there gang can get close.
    Gangs thrive in the city because LEO will not deal with them they have a false sense of power that will not protect them when the average person gets to a point where they have nothing to lose.
    5.56,7.62 and the rest don't give a hoot about your hood. Homey in the crew will never hear the shot until after the one next to them falls.
    Welcome to my world.
    Phillep Harding likes this.

When the governing society of morals collapses I think we will all be surprised at how amoral your people of "high moral character" become. There will be those who maintain their character and even use their skills to defend against those who let it collapse, but there will be plenty of people who sluff off societal morals with a sigh of relief and smile at the prospect of all the evil they can dish out and get away with.
    Morals exist outside of any governing society, so I tend to disagree that they collapse with society when it comes to folks of high moral character. The protectors of society will still be protectors even after society collapses. It's in their blood, it's what they do.
    Secret Spuk and minimalbrat like this.

Either way, I really don't care. It doesn't matter if he and his gang are coming or another gang elsewhere.. there's a lesson to be learned there and people who just want to quibble about the semantics of this individual and his video and whether or not he was talking about himself or others are really not seeing the big picture.
    I agree with this...

It was not my intention to start boiling this guy's comments down and pointing out inconsistencies in his statements.

I guess it's a matter of two intertwined discussions here...

1. This guy personally and his attitude.

2. This guy's statements that wouldn't be so off-putting if read in a transcript instead of video.

I do see the big picture... and am so thankful that it's something I have already considered!

It's interesting to me that his suggestions of what to do "in general" point out what I already grew up knowing.

Perhaps it's his honesty that's kinda throwing me off.

Bark'n likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    Those of us who live in the rural area are under no illusion it will be more safe here. We have just as many dead beat free loaders out here scamming the system as there are in the cities. And we are prepared for our "fellow rural residents" who think they are going to steal from their neighbors.

I'm just saying that I don't think the gangs from the big cities will be coming here in droves. They are pretty much going to stay and prey on their home geographical territory.

But out here in the rural area, we all know who the dead beats are in our communities. The druggies, the chronically unemployed and the ones who are in and out of jail constantly for a couple years at a time for petty theft and burglary. Those who work and produce who are either employed, or self employed through farming and ranch, are an asset to the community have said, it won't take long for all the deadbeats to get themselves killed off.

All of our restaurants have the usual "coffee drinkers" who are farmers, ranchers and generally hard workers who gather at the local restaurant and sit and gab and drink coffee in the afternoon. I've heard many of their discussions and the general consensus in our community is that those who work and have jobs will gather together in a loose knit network of folks helping out and providing security against those who think they will come and take from those who work for what they have.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Links