Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

This is a discussion on Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m People are under the belief that in a long term disaster the rural areas would be safe until the urban types ...

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    People are under the belief that in a long term disaster the rural areas would be safe until the urban types ran out of things to steal from each other and then invade the rural areas to prey on the peaceful people out there. If fact what I believe those urban gangs will find will be rural gangs who have been preying on their own in the country the same as the urban gangs did to their neighbors in the cities.

What makes people think that its only the city folks that will be unprepared? That somehow the rural areas have been untouched by Government handouts and have not lost their ability to survive on their own? A few years back my section of rural Oklahoma was struck by an ice storm lasting over a week knocking out all electrical power. I was amazed by the number of young healthy families who ran out of food. Those who had food but let it spoil because they were to ignorant to set the food outside in the freezing cold to preserve it.
    Do any of us believe that these rural folks who could not fend for themselves for just over a week of hard times would not be out taking from their neighbors who had prepared?

Michael
    It would indeed be unwise to assume anywhere is safe when the SHTF. Maybe one better than the other initially or vice-a-versa but there will be no truly safe place. Making a plan will better your chances. Making assumptions will mostly likely get you killed.

I don't relish the hard decisions awaiting us if this ever happens. Pulling the trigger to protect myself and my family will be easy. Turning away those in need will be the most difficult decisions some us will have to make. When the SHTF there will be many (I mean most) out there that aren't prepared. The only thing they know is someone else providing/creating for their basic needs. Most of them won't have anything beyond a hungry mouth to offer any group.

Limatunes was right when she stated there are some out there just wishing and waiting for anarchy. They would welcome a lawless society. I am not one of those people. Having 'stuff' won't be enough. The ability to adapt to a world in chaos without losing your grip will spell the difference between just being alive and living.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    Morals exist outside of any governing society, so I tend to disagree that they collapse with society when it comes to folks of high moral character. The protectors of society will still be protectors even after society collapses. It's in their blood, it's what they do.
    I agree that our morals exist within each of us. But I am not sure who 'The Protectors of Society' are. If you mean Law Enforcement, they enforce the law of the land/society. When the SHTF there will be no law. The uniform and the badge would no longer represent anyone. And I pray you don't mean our political leaders. They already serve their own agendas. Military people serve for the greater good but operate on a strict chain of command. It is possible they could step into the role of protector but that depends upon who is in command.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

There were lots and lots of dead looters left for the rats after Katrina that the media never got to report about.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Those of us who live in the rural area are under no illusion it will be more safe here. We have just as many dead beat free loaders out here scamming the system as there are in the cities. And we are prepared for our "fellow rural residents" who think they are going to steal from their neighbors.

I'm just saying that I don't think the gangs from the big cities will be coming here in droves. They are pretty much going to stay and prey on their home geographical territory.

But out here in the rural area, we all know who the dead beats are in our communities. The druggies, the chronically unemployed and the ones who are in and out of jail constantly for a couple years at a time for petty theft and burglary. Those who work and produce who are either employed, or self employed through farming and ranch, are an asset to the community have said, it won't take long for all the deadbeats to get themselves killed off.

All of our restaurants have the usual "coffee drinkers" who are farmers, ranchers and generally hard workers who gather at the local restaurant and sit and gab and drink coffee in the afternoon. I've heard many of their discussions and the general consensus in our community is that those who work and have jobs will gather together in a loose knit network of folks helping out and providing security against those who think they will come and take from those who work for what they have.
    Yep! I can easily see the one road leading into/out of our community being roadblocked with checkpoints, and the community coming together. This particular thread has got me thinking about buying some used concertina from a DRMO to channelize access to our place.......
    goldshellback likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

What a great thread...... much to think about and ponder

I agree and disagree with the video's OP....... the 'pack' mentality will win out over the 'mob' mentality, but..... Community and family, especially prepared one's, will survive.
    Rural will do better than the 'city-folk' and gang-bangers, but don't be so ignorant as to discount them either.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

There is a difference between city folk from Boston and city folk from San Antonio.......There is anough firepower and current/ex military experience on my street alone to go up against whomever.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    There is a difference between city folk from Boston and city folk from San Antonio.......There is anough firepower and current/ex military experience on my street alone to go up against whomever.
    This holds true in a large part of the states along your border as well!

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I own a chunk of land "out away from town". Sat down and tried to think how to defend it from someone familiar with moving through the local type of woods.

Hah.

"Fat chance".

Then I tried to figure out how to defend the community.

Nope. Every part of the community could get flanked, right along with every place suitable for a long term sentry post. That community is simply not defendable. A nearby island might be defendable, but it's federally owned land and people would have to abandon their homes to go there and build new.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Something about bringing a knife to a gunfight comes to mind.
    That being said; Thanks for the warning and...............
    Never underestimate anyone.

I've watched them all and I will have to agree that he definitely has a good point. It's one that I've actually laughed at while watching one of those shows a while back with the group of peaceniks that was so full of love, cluelessness and dope from the '60s that it was obvious that they WILL be taken in minutes by only a few. (there has been a couple of episodes that fit that description)

There is a point with any group as to a time that they can be overrun. That's holds true from the single household to a whole country. Like he said, if a group of 1,000 comes for his group of 100 then he's hoping that he can grab a shovel instead of die. He makes a point that I have thought of myself but everyone just has to make the best of it depending on what they see possibly happening. Some may succeed where others might fail, just depends on what's thrown their way. I enjoyed it though, I like knowing where others come from on certain things. I will have to admit though, I'm on the same page as he is when it comes to watching some of those folks and seeing extreme vulnerability. And I can understand why he would want to shout out for them to get a clue because some of them are just facepalms waiting to happen, giving themselves little or no means of defending themselves against a realistic and common threat.

Now, who wants to volunteer to be his "scout?"
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Here is something to chew on: The more I think about it the city boy, country boy thing. I think it means less and less. Bear with me for a moment. This isn't the 1800's and rural folks really lived off the land and theri communities. I am thinking this from a METT-T point of view and quantity and quality of forces.

The biggest thing in favor of the rural folks is knowing the land. But that would be assuming that they are anticipating an attack and have looked t avenues of approach and that they have the manpower to actually man an effective defense at each of them if needed. I think highly unlikely. Banding together as a community sounds good on paper but you would have to be defending each other's stores of food, water, medicine, houseing, and fuel. Unless they have central storage points to reduce the amount to defend they will have to split up what they have to defend everything.

The city folk or whoever bands together to raid the rural lands will have many advantages. Firt most is the fact that the ones that do most likely (IMO) will have the confidence and knwledge of going out to the boonies. The gangs that are formed can have vast amounts of fire power and a set of talented thugs.

Just think about it. If I was a BG with no morals but still have my training and I went out to find like people then they would have a decided advantage taking over a farmhouse. You can be an ex-whatever (SeAL,ranger, SF, Marine) but you are vastly outnumbered with folks that could easily have similiar training.

We use to joke in the team room that with all of the skills we had (shooting, surveillance, survival, recon, medicine, demo, tradecraft, yada yada) we could make a good gang. Of course that was in jest. But the fact is 12 of us or similiar would be a pretty tough force for folks to stop.

The point is in today's age it is not where they are coming from...it is whom is coming after you. Many guys I know that retired or got out are living in cities...I would not call them city boys nor would I discount them.

Then you have the true thugs and gangbangers out there from which they can recruit to build a bigger force.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Moderator
    In the end, its all gonna be about skills.
    Just what skills? That can be debated forever.

One skill that is absolutley essential to survival will be the skill of observation.

Can you observe? Can you see...I mean really see?

As an example of observation skills...

How many of you noticed that in the first two videos, Mr.Gang Banger was wearing his hat like the typical banger?
    By video 3 and 4, he has squared his hat up, and aquires a more presentable image?
    He is actuall pretty well spoken...enough so that I doubt he is even a real gangster. He is no dummy for sure.
    I'd be willing to be that he even has a respectable job.

Anyone else notice?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Here is something to chew on: The more I think about it the city boy, country boy thing. I think it means less and less. Bear with me for a moment. This isn't the 1800's and rural folks really lived off the land and theri communities.
    Maybe so, maybe not...

I put the lyrics from that song in for a reason.

Whether you are a city boy or country boy, knowing how to live off the land is the ultimate "stockpile"

If, by some crazy chance (c'mon, see the humor in this), the city gangs decide they want what I have and have the force to take it...

My skills of growing up "country" will serve in an almost equal capacity in the next county over.

And yes, my point of agreement, many former X's will have these skills as well; even being city boys.

Whereas those who have the sheer force to overwhelm and conquer will quickly find themselves in a "now what" situation when the immediate supplies are consumed.

That's what chucklehead is missing...

His roving band, even if successful, will eventually run out of people to overrun; and his numbers will dwindle along the way.

It's not all about numbers. Numbers help, but are not the be all, end all.

Hope the guy in the vid (or the personality he is portraying... still not sure on that one) knows how to run a trot line a skin a buck...

Knows what types of plants grow in what types of soil and how to cultivate them.

What a crazy game of "what if" has been fired up here!

QKShooter and minimalbrat like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    In the end, its all gonna be about skills.
    Just what skills? That can be debated forever.

One skill that is absolutley essential to survival will be the skill of observation.

Can you observe? Can you see...I mean really see?

As an example of observation skills...

How many of you noticed that in the first two videos, Mr.Gang Banger was wearing his hat like the typical banger?
    By video 3 and 4, he has squared his hat up, and aquires a more presentable image?
    He is actuall pretty well spoken...enough so that I doubt he is even a real gangster. He is no dummy for sure.
    I'd be willing to be that he even has a respectable job.

Anyone else notice?
    Of course, but I was thinking that some of my comments were straying off topic and too focused on the personality instead of what he was saying...

Is it 17 acres he has or 19...?

His family is going there, as he suggests, or they are roaming and pillaging, as he also suggests...?

He uses lots of "me" and "I" and "this is what I would do" type statements that completely contradict others.

Just some thoughts, but total agreement with the quoted statement.

QKShooter likes this.
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4

Thing to consider, it only takes one skilled individual to lead, and direct a gang of thugs to greatly multiply their strength.
    QKShooter likes this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Links