Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. - Page 8

Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

This is a discussion on Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kerberos Maybe so, maybe not... I put the lyrics from that song in for a reason. Whether you are a city boy ...

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Maybe so, maybe not...

I put the lyrics from that song in for a reason.

Whether you are a city boy or country boy, knowing how to live off the land is the ultimate "stockpile"

If, by some crazy chance (c'mon, see the humor in this), the city gangs decide they want what I have and have the force to take it...

My skills of growing up "country" will serve in an almost equal capacity in the next county over.

And yes, my point of agreement, many former X's will have these skills as well; even being city boys.

Whereas those who have the sheer force to overwhelm and conquer will quickly find themselves in a "now what" situation when the immediate supplies are consumed.

That's what chucklehead is missing...

His roving band, even if successful, will eventually run out of people to overrun; and his numbers will dwindle along the way.

It's not all about numbers. Numbers help, but are not the be all, end all.

Hope the guy in the vid (or the personality he is portraying... still not sure on that one) knows how to run a trot line a skin a buck...

Knows what types of plants grow in what types of soil and how to cultivate them.

What a crazy game of "what if" has been fired up here!

I would go half way with you on that. Though I still stand by my premise that it is not like the difference between city folk and country folk in the 1800's. More and more rural rely on stores, pharmacies, modern conveniences. But yeah, chances are the average rural guy will know or at least been hunting, trapping, fishing, etc.

BTW: I have that song on play list while I run.......
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    In the end, its all gonna be about skills.
    Just what skills? That can be debated forever.

One skill that is absolutley essential to survival will be the skill of observation.

Can you observe? Can you see...I mean really see?

As an example of observation skills...

How many of you noticed that in the first two videos, Mr.Gang Banger was wearing his hat like the typical banger?
    By video 3 and 4, he has squared his hat up, and aquires a more presentable image?
    He is actuall pretty well spoken...enough so that I doubt he is even a real gangster. He is no dummy for sure.
    I'd be willing to be that he even has a respectable job.

Anyone else notice?
    What I gathered is that he seemed to be family oriented, talking about the survival of a larger group being better than alone or only with a few people. Seemed to me that he was just trying to throw out some scenarios of what he sees as a realistic reaction to a society's prolonged exposure to famine and other hardships. He didn't hit me at all as being a gangster though he may or may not be. I'll have to agree with you that he is well spoken and no dummy. And I would also have to agree with him when he talks about how some things with some groups will go down as the fabric of society is unraveled.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I also must say, that now, the gansters are used to being the ones outside the law. If this sort of scenario comes to pass, all will be outside the law. My money is on me with my savage 110 at 300 yards, over 10 gang bangers with hipoints.
    QKShooter likes this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Senior Moderator
    I live in a rural area, most of the people who own the 5-10 acre spreads are not farmers or country boys, but they are city people who moved out of the city.

The farmers here have 100+ acres of cotton, soybeans corn etc... most of their soil is effectivly infertile without chemical fertilizer. It will take years of work to restore its natural productivity. The real country boys have their gardens that they feed their family with, they hunt and fish.

But hunting will be quickly non productive, because everyone will be hunting. The streams and rivers will quickly become fished out in most locations becasue everyone will fish.

Meat will be scarce and my rabbits will have to be hidden
    Hoganbeg, QKShooter and tclance like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
    It seems that the "we gonna take what's yours" is already the social norm. I don't see much difference in the PAW. Other than the government won't be feeding them anymore but they won't be standing in our way to defend ourselves either.
    this, and I don't really live in a gang area. However I am willing to put my training aganist their numbers. sure I would eventually lose in a numbers situation. But how many are they willing to lose? Home advantage + the know how = bad day for them as well. Not to mention there will be more then one posse (lol) out there so rival fights between these fools are more likely.

I think more realistic situation is the comunity will come together and protect themselves and help eachother. one ofthese posses coming down the road of a comunity looking to take what isn't theirs won't have a good day.
    Pistology and QKShooter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I would go half way with you on that. Though I still stand by my premise that it is not like the difference between city folk and country folk in the 1800's. More and more rural rely on stores, pharmacies, modern conveniences. But yeah, chances are the average rural guy will know or at least been hunting, trapping, fishing, etc.

I agree with you on the difference between city and country folks. It seems most of the country folks now a days are people that lived in the city that moved to the country. As for my gang. They are ready, and they know what they are doing.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I agree with you on the difference between city and country folks. It seems most of the country folks now a days are people that lived in the city that moved to the country. As for my gang. They are ready, and they know what they are doing.
    Hmm... thanx guys.

I now realize that my definition of "country folk" may differ from others.

I'm not just referring to all people who don't live within the incorporated area of a city...

Or even suburbs for that matter...

There are tons of them who moved just a little ways out to escape crime, etc. and good for them!

Guess I should use the term redneck or hillbilly to make myself clear...

Anyways, I can see this thread coming to some real common ground/agreement within the next 8 pages or so!

hahaha.

If it's legal for you to take a 100 yard hike from your house and shoot a deer; you're getting close to the area I'm talking about.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    Limatunes was right when she stated there are some out there just wishing and waiting for anarchy. They would welcome a lawless society. I am not one of those people. Having 'stuff' won't be enough. The ability to adapt to a world in chaos without losing your grip will spell the difference between just being alive and living.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    I agree that our morals exist within each of us. But I am not sure who 'The Protectors of Society' are. If you mean Law Enforcement, they enforce the law of the land/society. When the SHTF there will be no law. The uniform and the badge would no longer represent anyone. And I pray you don't mean our political leaders. They already serve their own agendas. Military people serve for the greater good but operate on a strict chain of command. It is possible they could step into the role of protector but that depends upon who is in command.
    The anarchists are a definite minority or we'd already have anarchy because there aren't enough cops to keep law and order as it is. We have law and order because we choose it as individuals not because it is imposed on us or because we have humming and buzzing infrastructure. We are already in the most superior gang. Stressful as SHTF may be, in the absence of ultimately stressful situations like prolonged captivity as slave labor under threat of death at any time, the cream will rise to the top, as always.

Networking among the best is advisable, as psychologist, Abraham Maslow implies. In a SHTF scenario, survivalists skills are at a premium. But I disagree with author, stankmouthcharlie's, assumption that the most significant part of SHTF is gang vs gang. I perceive a different post-shtf world and think the bigger question, by far, is the technical aspect of solving the difficult questions of surviving the elements without modern luxuries. I admit that those luxury "things" are probably our weakest link. And we may surprise ourselves with what we can do without.

And stankmouthcharlie underestimates preppers as unprepared for targets that shoot back. He makes a good point about not sticking out or appearing as a soft target. But we loyal Carry & Defensive Scenarios forum members already know that.

I gotta' buy more beans and water.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    I gotta' buy more beans and water.
    I'm going to save some money and just stock up on a bunch of bandanas in a variety of colors.

Hmm... thanx guys.

I now realize that my definition of "country folk" may differ from others.

I'm not just referring to all people who don't live within the incorporated area of a city...

Or even suburbs for that matter...

There are tons of them who moved just a little ways out to escape crime, etc. and good for them!

Guess I should use the term redneck or hillbilly to make myself clear...

Anyways, I can see this thread coming to some real common ground/agreement within the next 8 pages or so!

hahaha.

If it's legal for you to take a 100 yard hike from your house and shoot a deer; you're getting close to the area I'm talking about.
    I can step out on my deck and shoot a deer... In Iowa, that could mean I live in town!

Lima, we all have much to learn, always. Even from posers such as this guy.

I know my home is too "close in" to be defensible. I am getting ready to move/retire. I hope to do so in time (before the demise of society), we'll see.

I still foresee big attrition numbers amongst the urban "evildoers," most of it due to existing rivalries.

Having watched Gangland, I have no doubts that some bangers are very well trained in military action...

I also have no doubts that strong minded, primitive cadres of poorly armed insurgents have bested militarily trained minds from the Trojan war to present day AFPAK.

Good will prevail over evil... It may take some time, some treasure, some blood... But good will out.

"Can you hear me?
    Can you hear me calling?"*

*Silent Running... Mike and the Mechanics
    QKShooter likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    I can take one out of the back window of my house, but only as long as I use a shottie with a 3-round capacity. Part way there, anyway.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I am pretty satisfied with my current location. We are suburban enough that I drive past grazing cattle to go to the mall, but in reality only a couple of miles from the city limits. The neighborhood has a well defined perimeter (wall/fence) with two gates. I would not call it a fortress by any stretch but it is much more defensible than the surrounding neighborhoods. Depending on who decides to stay we have a good skill set in the neighborhood including medical, engineers and a guy that owns a range/shop that sells class 3 weapons and mucho ammo. We have current LEOs and former military. About the only thing we are short on is land for farming.

Even hunting the wild pigs and gators in the bayou we could not last indefinitely as there would be hunting pressure from the other communities in the area.

I think the key for us would be to be a hard enough target that we initially get bypassed for easier pickings. Hopefully the easier pickings would cause enough attrition that we would only have to deal with any particular group once. The big question in my mind is if we would last long enough for the hunting pressure to drop enough for the hogs to come back. There are a few other "walled compounds" not far from us but we also have a huge park nearby and are surrounded by open neighborhoods. I do think with some agressive patroling we have a pretty good situation.

I think one big issue folks need to look at is family and friends that are medically fragile. How are the neighbors going to be about grandma, who is basically bed ridden with arthritis, getting a full share of the food when stocks get low? Things could get very very ugly.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

In any SHTF situation of that magnitude, thousands will die in the first few days. After about 3 weeks there will be lots less competition, but it will be better organized. We have prisons full, OMG's, all kinds of people on meds, oh did I mention psych wards full......

Hang on boy's and girl's....
    QKShooter likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I figure in a real situation, 40% of our fellow Americans will die of heart attacks or hurl themselves off a bridge because their cell phones stop working. CBS Sunday Morning reported on the addiction to electronics,especially texting,many have. So at least there would be more food and stuff for us low-tech people.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

How many of you live close to a National Guard Unit? Reserve Unit? Have they been deployed? What are their skills, abilities, training, tools, equipment? Good guys? Rogue? 50-50? What about military bases nearby? How does that effect your calculus?

If it has not been included in your analysis, why not? How do you include it, and using what premises?

As a matter of example and interest, the east side of Pike's Peak includes Ft. Carson, Home to the 3rd BCT, 43rd ASG, 3rd ACR, 5th Armored Brigade, 13th Air Support Operations Squadron, and the 10th Special Forces Group. Additionally, Colorado Springs has two AFB's and the AFA.

I'm on the west side of Pike's Peak.

How do the forces represented above get deployed and with what equipment? What is the command structure? Who is in command? That represents a lot of skills, training, experience and firepower. Good guys, bad guys, or both, or transitory and opportunistic? Over what time frame? Will the roles shift and change over time? Good guys initially? And as time progresses? What happens?

The possibilities are rather endless..............
    OD*, Bad Bob, QKShooter and 2 others like this.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Links