Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. - Page 9

Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

This is a discussion on Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; City boys or city gangs can't automatically be discounted. Many gang members join the military, come home and teach others everything they've learned while serving. ...

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: Why Most Doomsday Preppers Will Die - An Opinion Deserving Consideration.

City boys or city gangs can't automatically be discounted. Many gang members join the military, come home and teach others everything they've learned while serving. Urban warfare is nothing new to them, yet it was something new to many recruits.

Knowing both city and country folks, I can't discount or 'praise' either or. However I can say, together, they would make one hell of a force to fear.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have listened now, to all of SM Charlie's rant on numbers.

He's right, there's some safety in numbers. Yes, a posse of 100 (he started with 40, and it grew to 50 and then a hunnert) all livin in tents on his 14 acres.. no, 19 acres... whatever it is... he doesn't seem to know. He's gonna rove out and look for provisions. He plays strategic games and wins most of em.

John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."
    How many of those 40-50-100 of Charlie's feel that way about all of the other 39-49-99?

When the leader of a gang sends out scouts... say two men and two women... just to "look see"... and they don't return from a "benign" scouting trip... how are the other 35-45-95 gonna feel about their leader? How much attrition will that cause?

Can I, alone, defeat SMC. Nope. Not over the long haul... and he is right, his is just one posse... there will be others.

Do I believe that there will be a nationwide, long term disaster (over 3 months duration)... probably not. Order of some sort will be restored... It might be military... it might be something else...

If it lasts longer, it might devolve into something from "Braveheart." Clan wars, gang wars, and perhaps at the same time as a civil war, or a war against foreign aggressors.

In the short term (3 to 9 months) with no centralized gov't... Urban areas will probably be war zones... they will feed on each other... and start moving out of the metro area. But the attrition ratio will be huge, and only the most intelligent, ruthless, cunning, well trained, disciplined, and perhaps evil, will be the ones leaving alive.

The question is: How far out will they make it? Before they run into other groups of similar folk from the other side of town... and they will clash... and their will be more attrition... and they may team up... and have still only as large an army as each one was individually...

There's a limit to hive mentality... even the military knows this... Yes, you have various forces, each divided into smaller groups, and groups within groups, and smaller teams... and smaller units... and, the smaller the group it seems, the more individually deadly each member is. Small groups can overcome much larger groups, strategically...

No matter how it really plays out... if it really plays out... it is gonna be ugly... very ugly... And frankly, I don't know if I want or need to be here for that.
    QKShooter and Rock and Glock like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    I agree that our morals exist within each of us. But I am not sure who 'The Protectors of Society' are. If you mean Law Enforcement, they enforce the law of the land/society. When the SHTF there will be no law. The uniform and the badge would no longer represent anyone. And I pray you don't mean our political leaders. They already serve their own agendas. Military people serve for the greater good but operate on a strict chain of command. It is possible they could step into the role of protector but that depends upon who is in command.
    I am talking in general. People don't become LEO's to serve a badge, they do it to serve their community and the people in it. Likewise, people do not join the military to protect a chain of command, they do it to protect the people within their country. These are not ideals that collapse with society, a person who has it within themselves to do these things has no concern for the structure of society that allows them to do it. They will continue to protect people well beyond the collapse of societal structure. That is my point.
    Bad Bob, Pistology and QKShooter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    I am talking in general. People don't become LEO's to serve a badge, they do it to serve their community and the people in it. Likewise, people do not join the military to protect a chain of command, they do it to protect the people within their country. These are not ideals that collapse with society, a person who has it within themselves to do these things has no concern for the structure of society that allows them to do it. They will continue to protect people well beyond the collapse of societal structure. That is my point.
    Hopeful, anyway...

Some folks still go into the military to get out of local troubles... Some LEOs are all about the personal power... Look up the Battle of Athens (Tenn.)...

But, for the most part, you are right... large portions of those organizations have many idealistic/patriotic members.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I didn't listen to all the videos the guy posted. However my observation about numbers is this, and I am in no way race baiting ect.

His group/gang of people whether they are black/white/hispanic whatever won't be the majority. If you want to break it down by his race that he wants to gang together with, his race is a minority accounting for only 12 or 13% of the population. He is way outnumbered from the get go. If he wants to break it down by the fact he would turn criminal. The criminal element is also a minority of the population. If you take all the folks with serious criminal records, even the reformed ones, there is probably around 10% of the population or less that fall into his group/gang.

So, yes, there is strength in numbers, but no matter how he cuts it, his group will be outnumbered, and who is to say the the honest citizens won't simply go looking for the outlyers who have turned criminal to eliminate them before they get a chance to prey on others.

Yes, it would be a mess, and probably a bloody mess at first, but eventually some sort of "law" will surface which people will want to abide by and they will take action against those who are unwilling to live within that "law". After all, we don't live in a barbaric society today because we have choosen not to. People will make those same choices in a SHTF situation after a brief period of chaos.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

This guy makes a huge assumption, he assumes that me and mine won't be hunting down him and his posse. I for one will not sit around and wait to be overrun. I pick the time and place to fight, and it won't be near my home.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

History has shown that a small minority of people can control the majority. All that is required is that they be extremely brutal and quick to act when needed. Bad people have no problem killing the entire family if one family member does something they do not like. Or wipe out a whole community at first sign of non compliance. This puts fear in the minds of those you wish to control.

Good people are not so willing to use these tactics even if they know that it is necessary for their own preservation. The bad people are quick to kill or hurt anyone when it suits them. If they kill the wrong person its just a cost of doing business. The good people are slower to act. They want to make sure the dog means to bite them before acting. This is their weakness.

Michael

When all is said and done, I may very well be one of those who do not last very long...maybe....I try to use good coman sense to prepare, but overall, Good always trumps Evil, my 2 cents... I will do my best to protect my family.
    Last edited by rstanek; October 2nd, 2012 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    History has shown that a small minority of people can control the majority. All that is required is that they be extremely brutal and quick to act when needed. Bad people have no problem killing the entire family if one family member does something they do not like. Or wipe out a whole community at first sign of non compliance. This puts fear in the minds of those you wish to control.

Good people are not so willing to use these tactics even if they know that it is necessary for their own preservation. The bad people are quick to kill or hurt anyone when it suits them. If they kill the wrong person its just a cost of doing business. The good people are slower to act. They want to make sure the dog means to bite them before acting. This is their weakness.

Michael
    History has also shown that the majority, when it has had enough will snuff out the minority. That is where revolutions are born from. It goes both ways.

Currently, in all democracies or similar types of governments, the majority has little tolerance for the minority which do what they please. The mindset simply isn't in "free" people to be controlled. I do believe that some people will have to be "pursuaded" to get the backbone to stand up for themselves, but being hungry, or the loss of family members would quickly change the attitudes of most.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    Sometimes it its just a matter of who will do what the other will not. It can go into relative morality or devolve to the basest question of survival. Then we must decide which is more important to us, our moral code or the survival of our children.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Sometimes it its just a matter of who will do what the other will not. It can go into relative morality or devolve to the basest question of survival. Then we must decide which is more important to us, our moral code or the survival of our children.
    Speaking as a father of two, I will keep my sons alive or die trying.....that might mean raiding someone for food
    QKShooter and goldshellback like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I just wanted to add, what a great and informative discussion this thread has become. I am enjoying it immensely. There is ton of great insight and speculation, great food for thought all the way around!

I am curious as to how long the game animal stock would last facing the entire population as hunters. Deer, elk and other game herds and populations are carefully managed to prevent over hunting, in the PAW, the game herds would be doomed within a season or two. Just a thought. I wonder if our wilderness can sustain the calorie/protein demands of 300,000,000 people. I think eventually all animals could face extinction from over hunting.... Squirrel, rabbit, coyote, rat, etc, will all be hunted en mass! I don't see how they can manage to sustains their population when everyone starts to hunt.

My personal opinion is that a vast majority of the population will starve to death... Perhaps 80%. Sadly, I have to be honest, I will probably be one of them... I realize that I don't have the necessary hunting and tracking skills that would give me an advantage over the countless millions of other suburbanites. I feel that I should learn to varmint hunt at the very least... So many skills needed to thrive in this environment... Tool making, tanning leather, furniture making, black smithing, shelter, trapping, farming, wild edibles, primitive weapons hunting.... It's overwhelming honestly.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It just shows us how "right" and "wrong" become luxuries when it comes down to basic survival. The basics will always apply. Not enough resources means some must die. the survivors will be the smartest, the strongest, and the luckiest.

Based on the interest shown here I suggest we make this a new forum category, which I suspect is one of the purposes of this thread's existence.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    History has also shown that the majority, when it has had enough will snuff out the minority. That is where revolutions are born from. It goes both ways.

Currently, in all democracies or similar types of governments, the majority has little tolerance for the minority which do what they please. The mindset simply isn't in "free" people to be controlled. I do believe that some people will have to be "pursuaded" to get the backbone to stand up for themselves, but being hungry, or the loss of family members would quickly change the attitudes of most.
    True, but it is often after many generations of families live under oppression. Sometimes thousand of years even. Evil seems to act much quicker than the good.

Michael

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Links