Door to Door Salesmen - Page 2

Door to Door Salesmen

This is a discussion on Door to Door Salesmen within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't like unsolicited sales calls whether by phone or at the door. I have no patience for them and I find that most sales ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Door to Door Salesmen

VIP Member
    I don't like unsolicited sales calls whether by phone or at the door. I have no patience for them and I find that most sales calls are just plain annoying. There needs to be a do-not-call equivalent for door-to-door sales. I like the suggestions above regarding signs and just not buying into the whole 'friendly conversation' method.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I had the exact same scenario happen a long time ago with vacuum salesmen. I was a sheep then and didn't feel the need to protect the castle as strongly as I do now. I actually let three (count them, 3) men of stable stature come into my house to perform the demo. I realize how stupid and lucky I was to get out of that situation with just a cleaner carpet...I was too polite and it didn't end well when I told them I wasn't interested... will never happen again, ever.
    Gun Control: Using both hands

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    We don't get many in recent years. One in August. I was outside the front door,young man walks up,I believe the company was Vivent Alarms? I have ADT and their signs everywhere. He stated," we are doing upgrades on your alarm systems, blah,blah,blah" I asked him if he worked for ADT,no answer but he started rambling and trying to get me to watch a sales pitch movie on some type of pad. I asked our ADT rep about this and he said this is common practice. Some people are phony and just want to spy on your system,some actually work for this other alarm company. To finish my story,the man left in a great haste,I have no problem making people leave.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

To avoid shaking hands, just hold your hands up and state "I have a cold" (or Tuberculosis ).............

In fact, coughing and telling them you have TB might scare 'em off!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    To avoid shaking hands, just hold your hands up and state "I have a cold" (or Tuberculosis ).............
    In fact, coughing and telling them you have TB might scare 'em off!
    Yes, but sooner or later someone will get in close and just thrust their hand toward you. So though I like the Tuberculosis
    excuse, and 'Hand Foot and Mouth Disease' might do the trick as well, I prefer to be armed with "athletes foot."

It is worth at least thinking about H2H counters that buy opportunity to get to and deploy a weapon.

In my little episode in the Great State of MA, I think the guy was trying to lure me and my wife from in front of
    a popular restaurant to a more secluded area. I thought I was playing it really well and that by shaking I'd have an advantage due to physical contact and ability to sense his body/intentions with my hand and arm.

However, when I got home this week and I got around to recreating the scene at the gym, I realized how vulnerable I really was. All my imaginings about dropping him with an arm bar, pulling him in to a knee to the groin, small circle attack on the wrist to drop him to his knees, and a few more, each left me too vulnerable to that left "dead side" hand.

The point of all of this is that sometimes you have to work hard to get into a position where you can deploy a defensive weapon. When our OP described his scenario
    and others chimed in with the usual "always carry," I just felt I could contribute something by
    reminding folks that a weapon is only useful if you are able to get to it and deploy it. So plan on possibly having to fight for that opportunity.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

"No, thank you" works. I'm another who has scant patience for door-to-door salesmen. If I determine an item or a service is required then I'll seek it out. Until that time I particularly don't wish to be bothered with unsolicited contact with salesmen, either by phone or at my own front door. Any pushiness on their part should be considered impolite and an indication of poor manners and any curt response to cut off contact is perfectly acceptable.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Had 2 young men come to our frontdoor. I opened the door (always keep the storm door locked), & they asked me if I knew Jesus. I told them "No thanks, please leave." then closed the door. To my amazement, they rang the doorbell again! This time I let my 120lb rottweiler come to the door with me. I opened the door, with my dog snarling & growling, I reached for the lock on the storm door and said "My dog wants to meet you"...Looked like the Keystone Cops, scrambling to get off of my porch!
    A great comeback to their ringing the doorbell again would've been to open the door along with your dog and reach for the storm door while saying, "This is Jesus, and he wants to know you".
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

If I do not know the person at the door (I can see before answering), then I take the time to grab one of my pistols, and hold it down by my side, safety off, as I answer the door. No need to let them see it, but ready in case they decide they are going to come inside without an invite.

I have a "No Soliciting" sign right next to the front door. Just about everybody who hasn't been invited sees the sign and turns right around and goes. Most of the idiots who insist on ringing the bell anyway are either political or religious emissaries who seem to feel they aren't actually soliciting. They are annoying, but always harmless. I do try to be polite, but sometimes I'm not all that good at it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You were very polite to a couple of strangers that dropped in with no warning. I'm not always so polite. Maybe I should be, but its because of the reality of scams (and worse) criminals masquerading as salesmen.

Actually, I usually start out by politely asking what they are selling and I might even listen for a few minutes. Whether immediately or after hearing their sales pitch, I politely say I'm not interested. If they are pushy, then I get more assertive. If they continue to be assertive, I have very little patience and they have become the enemy. Then they get to hear me say "Leave now" in an unmistakable tone. Anyone that can't respect multiple "no's" can't be trusted and must be dealt with accordingly, for you safety, your family's, and ultimately for the trespasser's safety!

We used to get a lot of beggars, but I guess word got out that we don't keep cash at home.

One time, a guy stated about how hungry he was, so my wife fixed him a plate of food. His response, "I don't like that."

I promptly told him to either eat the food or leave - he left. Obviously using the hunger story to get drug or booze money.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

i keep my gun by the door. and my porch is locked, so there are two barriers for me before someone is busting in. i have a young daughter so i prefer not to carry at home but instead have my carry gun staged at the entrance (up high). i also have one staged in my bedroom at the other end of the house.

on the topic of door to door types, i am usually a pretty polite person, but something about people coming onto my property soliciting just irks me. they get a "not interested", (usually interrupting the middle of their first sentence). if they don't turn around and walk away they get screamed at. like "GET THE F OUT OF MY YARD NOW!" i know it's not the best way to be. i can't help it. really a pet peeve of mine.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    A great comeback to their ringing the doorbell again would've been to open the door along with your dog and reach for the storm door while saying, "This is Jesus, and he wants to know you".
    ... or "Yes, I know Jesus, but in about 5 seconds, it's gonna be far more important that you do."

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    Anyone get any of these recently?

I just had a couple of younger guys ring my door bell.
    I live in the sticks. My property is clearly posted that by proceeding uninvited onto my property they confirm their intent to do me or mine harm. anyone entering our 150 yard drive way sets of a motion sensor and is on video.
    No Trespass.jpg

Anyone stupid enough to arrive on my property uninvited and get out of the car gets to stare down the barrel of an AR or Shotgun and lay down in the mud spread eagle while I determine why they are there. Once while I was butt naked. Twice after being kind enough to let them leave folks called the police. Both times the police stopped at my property line and called me asking me to come out to meet them. Both times I gave them permission to enter my property. Each time after they listened to the whiners complaints they told them I would have been justified for shooting them. Each time they asked me if I wanted to filed a complaint. The one Jehovah Witness Witch who I greeted naked would not shut her pie hole and refused to apologize. So I filed on her, CPS came and took her rug rats to foster care
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
    ... or "Yes, I know Jesus, but in about 5 seconds, it's gonna be far more important that you do."
    When I lived in a residential area I used to have a beautiful buff Am Staff. He knew exactly where the boundary line to the property was and would never cross it without me. I had taught "KILL" meant to go poop. When bone heads would pass by I used to open my door and yell KILL and out would charge this 125 pound Am Staff full bore hit his spot and squat to take his dump, as the bone head wet themselves it was hilarious. Bone heads would cross the street when passing by my house
    K7lvo likes this.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

We get sales people all the time. Actually had a SBC girl argue with me what solicitation is. I open the door, they start a pitch, I say "solicitation is prohibited in this neighborhood, I am calling the police if you do not pack up and leave immediately." They leave.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links