Door to Door Salesmen

Door to Door Salesmen

This is a discussion on Door to Door Salesmen within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone get any of these recently? I just had a couple of younger guys ring my door bell. Naturally the dog starts going nuts. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Door to Door Salesmen

Door to Door Salesmen

Anyone get any of these recently?

I just had a couple of younger guys ring my door bell. Naturally the dog starts going nuts. I didn't think I would like a dog until I started living with someone who had one. Very handy when anyone shows up unannounced.

I step outside to greet them and they begin telling me about what they offer. The "boss" is talking so fast I have no idea what he is saying. I respond with a few general yeses and oks. Before I know it the other guy is pulling a bag and large box out of the car. He is introduced to me. I say hello.

At this point he asks me to get the door for him. I stopped at this point and ask him what it is he is selling. After determining it is a vacuum I tell him I own one and am not interested. He asks to come in and demo it, stating he gets paid based on how many demos he does. Apparently sale do not affect his income. Seems strange for a salesman. After a few times repeating I am not interested he starts to get the idea. He is still telling me it will only take a few moments. In response I tell him that I have to leave in a little while and have no time.

In hindsight I would have preferred to not have stated that, but they see me sitting on the porch as they try other houses. I think they get I was blowing them off.

Two lessons learn in all this. Carry at home. Trouble makers may not let me run up to my nightstand. Second, courtesy is not entirely necessary with door to door salesmen. While the two individuals appeared upstanding and did not trigger and major red flags it was definitely an eye opener.

I don't live in a great neighborhood, so we don't get many salesmen. We DO get a lot of salespeople at my office, though, despite No Solicitation signs. I don't mind people who drop off information and take a card for followup, but I can't stand guys like your vacuum man. I just try to keep thinking "Well at least they're working a job..."

Red face

Glad to hear you "got it"! I always carry at home and wouldn't even consider opening the door to a stranger, let alone two, without being armed. And I don't unlock the deadbolt on the security storm/screen door for door to door salesmen anyway. And I certainly would NOT ever tell a salesman or anyone I didn't know that I was leaving the house in a little while!!!!! That's about as bad as the people who post every minute of their life on facebook and tell the burglers when they are leaving and when they'll be back!! It appears you have learned from your experience, grasshopper.
    Badey and RichB70 like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

JDE101,

That is just about how I would have preferred to handle it in hindsight. I figured surfing the internet on the porch may give the idea I am doing nothing.

Can't do much about it now. Just learn from it for next time. Found a use for my G19 belt holster though! Usually stick to IWB but around the house open carry will be a little better received.

Added bonus: While sitting outside typing this I got to hear the neighbors across the street yell at each other. Apparently they both need to get a job, and have many places they can shove it. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in the city.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post

I just had a couple of younger guys ring my door bell. Naturally the dog starts going nuts. I didn't think I would like a dog until I started living with someone who had one. Very handy when anyone shows up unannounced.

I step outside to greet them and they begin telling me about what they offer. The "boss" is talking so fast I have no idea what he is saying. I respond with a few general yeses and oks. Before I know it the other guy is pulling a bag and large box out of the car. He is introduced to me. I say hello.

At this point he asks me to get the door for him. I stopped at this point and ask him what it is he is selling. After determining it is a vacuum I tell him I own one and am not interested. He asks to come in and demo it, stating he gets paid based on how many demos he does. Apparently sale do not affect his income. Seems strange for a salesman. After a few times repeating I am not interested he starts to get the idea. He is still telling me it will only take a few moments. In response I tell him that I have to leave in a little while and have no time.

In hindsight I would have preferred to not have stated that, but they see me sitting on the porch as they try other houses. I think they get I was blowing them off.

Two lessons learn in all this. Carry at home. Trouble makers may not let me run up to my nightstand. Second, courtesy is not entirely necessary with door to door salesmen. While the two individuals appeared upstanding and did not trigger and major red flags it was definitely an eye opener.
    Actually lesson #1 is carry at home. Lesson #2 is don't answer the door if you don't know who it is.
    marcclarke and miller_man like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

JDE101,

Added bonus: While sitting outside typing this I got to hear the neighbors across the street yell at each other. Apparently they both need to get a job, and have many places they can shove it. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in the city.
    Now that's funny! I can agree with you about living a little farther away from neighbors. Luckily, my neighbors now aren't a problem, but I did live next to a couple of real loud and constantly fighting rednecks for several years in a former house. It was really bad in the summer with the windows open!

Just keep learning from your experiences, try not to make the same mistake twice, and stay safe. Initially, I didn't even consider carrying at home--until someone pointed out on this forum that 100% of home invasions occur at home. I live in a pretty decent neighborhood, and had never thought of it that way before. I started carrying at home as well as when I leave the house. Now, I either have a weapon on me or within arms reach at all times. A lot can be learned here at DC.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I tried Kirby sales once, it's a pretty miserable experience...but a few steps above collections or phone sales, I'm sure!

They don't get paid until they make a sale and the bill gets paid. They will do or say just about anything to get their foot in your door because that is the only way they can make a sale. I finally put a computer printed strip sign on the bottom of my storm door a few years ago - No solicitors, religious or otherwise. They pretty much just walk up to the door now, stop a moment to read, and walk away. Had one guy who wanted to play dumb, I opened the inner door and asked "Can you read?", pointing to the sign at my feet. He looked, said yes, and I pointed towards the street.

And I always carry my firearm IWB...always.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member
    At the road end of my fairly long driveway there are three signs... the security system sign, a no solicitors sign and a no trespassing sign.
    At my doors there are two (smaller) signs. "Smile, you're being watched by multiple video cameras" and "If you're here uninvited, you're trespassing. There will be no further warnings."

I'm not anti-social... I just don't like people (^_^)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

my city isn't bad. from what I recall it is the most densely populated between new York and chigaco though. leaves a lot of people in a little area. also the city is bordered on two sides by Cleveland.

gotta rethink a few things as I have moved closer to the city again.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I have started telling people that I don't buy things that are being sold door-to-door. Of course I make exceptions kids like girls scouts, boy scouts, etc.

If I am awake I am armed period. Always carry
    pittypat21, BenGoodLuck and mano3 like this.

I don't answer if I'm not expecting you............got a problem with that ?
    Discuss it with our Complaint Dept........just ask for.. Jax... he's 4yrs. old... 100lbs....and understands all launguages......especially German.....if he let's you in.....it's OK with me......Good Luck.
    pittypat21 likes this.

I agree if I don't know you and I am not expecting anyone I don't answer either. I watch them until they leave though to make sure they aren't up to anything.
    ccw9mm likes this.

VIP Member

Well, at least they didn't talk you into shaking hands. Seriously, if you are alive on this earth, sooner or later some
    salesperson or some BG is going to get you in a situation similar to the above, where they put their hand out all friendly like
    and it is too awkward (you think) to refuse to shake hands.

Its nice to think you are prepared to always say no, but you probably aren't. It is also nice to think that the pepper, knife,
    and gun in your pocket or on your belt will be of value; they may not be because you have to realize an attack is happening and get to them. That is hard with your strong hand tied up in a handshake
    and the smiling friendly dude cribbing a knife in his off hand.

Try this. Get a friend and shake hands. Then see what can be done to you with the dead hand--empty or with a cribbed knife. (Use a toy knife so you don't get hurt.) See if you can actually keep yourself from getting cut. It is an interesting exercise.

Guns, pepper, and even knives are great, but with close in situations like these you need to think some ahead of time
    about how to use H2H to break a surprise attack and gain time and ability to get to your own weapon or take his-- remember, your strong hand is tied up in that cordial handshake.

I played with that scenario at the gym this morning. I had had a real-life "handshake" incident while I was on vacation. I was lucky as the dude took "I can't help you," for an answer and left. It could have gotten much much worse.

I was carrying pepper in two different pockets (license not reciprocated where I was) but could not possibly get to either had a wallet been demanded at knife point. Same would have been true with most carry guns.

Play around with the scene and see what you might do to keep from being stabbed in the chest or chin with an uppercut, or stabbed in the side. (BG is starting out with his strong hand held out to shake, and his weak hand cribbing held down along his side.)

The OP's scenario could have gotten much much worse too--- especially due to the 2 on 1 aspect.

Practice for how you will defend before you are able to reach that gun, pepper, or knife.

Carrying 100% is only part of the answer.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Had 2 young men come to our frontdoor. I opened the door (always keep the storm door locked), & they asked me if I knew Jesus. I told them "No thanks, please leave." then closed the door. To my amazement, they rang the doorbell again! This time I let my 120lb rottweiler come to the door with me. I opened the door, with my dog snarling & growling, I reached for the lock on the storm door and said "My dog wants to meet you"...Looked like the Keystone Cops, scrambling to get off of my porch!
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links