Driving home, late night, flagged down by guy in street - Page 2

Driving home, late night, flagged down by guy in street

This is a discussion on Driving home, late night, flagged down by guy in street within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; sad sign of the times... In the 40s and 50s we stopped for everyone who needed help...we even picked up people who were just 'hitching ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Driving home, late night, flagged down by guy in street

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    sad sign of the times...

In the 40s and 50s we stopped for everyone who needed help...we even picked up people who were just 'hitching a ride'.

Now, I just drive on by. A gunfight in a car just doesn't seem practical.
    BigJon10125 and JDE101 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Anymore I dont stop unless I absolutley know the other party. Its just to dangerous any more.
    and even then keep the SA going. They may have been victim #1 of the evening.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I would have never stopped.

The kind of person that most of us would prefer to help is not a hothead, or one that would yell, or flip the bird at a passer-by or other driver asking what about the situation.

Others have pretty much summed it up. Although I appreciated help from strangers when I was broke down, the days of 'hands-on help' are over. You may never know who you're dealing until it's too late. It's just too risky. Although I am not above jump starting someone in a parking lot while I'm armed. Roadside assistance... That's another story. A quick 911 call can do wonders.

As others have said it is a sad state of affairs that it is too dangerous to stop and help another, but that is the way it is. I have AAA so I do not need to flag anyone down. Best insurance ever. It is jot worth the risk of my safety or my family's. You did fine and more than enough. His response was plenty of justification.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I was actually surprised by the number of people who recently stopped for me when I had a tire shred on me. Normally I would change it myself, but my spare was flat too (learned a valuable lesson about periodically checking my stuff) I waved everyone on that asked if I needed help, AAA was already in route, but one guy stopped and stayed until AAA got there. I'm sure he was just being nice but he offered to drive me to his house where he had a compressor and could fill my spare - he didn't just want to take the tire though and there was no way in hell I was going to get in his car!

I never stop, but I don't know any women who do. I'll jump someone in a parking lot, but I'll never stop on the side of the road!

I've got a small compressor and jump box to help myself and others without disabling my car - just hand them the compressor or box and wait for them to bring it back.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    As others have said, it's a shame it has come to this but if it's dark and I don't know them I'm not stopping.
    If it's light it depends on when and where and who's with me.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

"Going through the dessert, we had to pass through a very small town..." Well, at least you got "dessert"

If you know your literature, you're familiar with Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man Is Hard to Find." Published in 1955, it's about a killer on the road.

So, look - it's not like there was ever any some Golden Age of Good Times when it was utterly safe and A-OK to pull over and render aid to a stranger on the road. In fact, you can probably go back a couple thousand years and find this same conversation going on.

"Simplissimus, pull not over thine chariot when thou seest a centurion 'pon the road. Verily, thou shalt regret thine error forsooth!"

Not like this is anything new, not like we're now in a new Special Time when we're allowed to be vicious animals who fixate eyes forward, hands on wheel, and run down anything foolish enough to get in the way. If you think like that, then you're a lost cause. Enjoy your embittered sad little life.

Rather, situational awareness is key - as it always has been. You are a smart cookie and you are armed with firepower. So you should use your best judgement and weigh out all the factors available to you. Someone tries to flag you down, your call. The modern urban warrior should be able to render aid when necessary, avoid calamity when prudent.
    Pkupmn98 and d2jlking like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I was actually surprised by the number of people who recently stopped for me when I had a tire shred on me. Normally I would change it myself, but my spare was flat too (learned a valuable lesson about periodically checking my stuff) I waved everyone on that asked if I needed help, AAA was already in route, but one guy stopped and stayed until AAA got there. I'm sure he was just being nice but he offered to drive me to his house where he had a compressor and could fill my spare - he didn't just want to take the tire though and there was no way in hell I was going to get in his car!

I never stop, but I don't know any women who do. I'll jump someone in a parking lot, but I'll never stop on the side of the road!
    Just think about this scenario on a major highway with cars going by at 65 or 70. He stops to help. It is only you or your family and him. He can literally do whatever he wants to you at that time and if he is good, all those 65/70 cars did not see a thing. He drives off with your money etal.

Quote Originally Posted by marinevet1994 View Post
    Back in 96, I was driving back to base from the Marine Corps birthday ball with my wife and two year old son. Going through the dessert, we had to pass through a very small town (population 9) which had a small bridge to get into town from the direction we were coming. Partially blocking the bridge was a car with a guy in his mid twenties trying to wave me down. As I started to slow down, I noticed someone peek over the front seat, then drop back down. Needless to say this set off my danger sense and I started to speed up. The guy waving tried to step in front of the car and damn near got run over. Since then I am very wary about stopping to help anyone.
    You handled it perfectly.

Bonus points to anyone who can name the "town" I'm talking about!
    Baker
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    s...A gunfight in a car just doesn't seem practical.
    Pepper spray in the car seems impractical, too...
    lchamp and JDE101 like this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

With a cell phone, you can still be a good Samaritan without stopping.
    You called 911 for help. If he was upset about being out of gas, the cops would have directed him to closest station, or even taken him there (if he didn't show attitude).

If he was a bad guy (more likely), the cops were the only ones who could handle it without serious blowback on you.
    The only reason to ever stop is if someones arm or leg is ripped off and you need to stop the bleeding.
    That doesn't happen very often.
    ccw9mm and JDE101 like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links