Driving home, late night, flagged down by guy in street

This is a discussion on Driving home, late night, flagged down by guy in street within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the past nobody had a cell phone,nowadays most people have a cell phone,I will call for help,but your not getting in my car.Years ago ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Driving home, late night, flagged down by guy in street

In the past nobody had a cell phone,nowadays most people have a cell phone,I will call for help,but your not getting in my car.Years ago my Dad had a policy that stuck,I don't pick up Hitchhikers,Something about not putting his family in danger etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you did the right thing. Every situation is going to be different. One Winter back in the 90s I saw a truck on the side of the road and I could tell it was not running. I could also see the young male driver, wife & child in the front. The thing is it was -40 degrees ! I had the wife & child get in my truck and I pulled the guy & his truck about three miles to his house. Must have been a cold ride for him. Only three weeks later did I find out that the wife was my sister in laws sister who I had never met! Generally though I do not pick up hitch hikers. Too many drunks, druggies and just plain foul smelling people.

I don't know what kind of nut would even ask a stranger for help late at night like that. That's what cell phones and AAA are for.

The one girl that works for me told me a story of her and her friends hitchhiking back in the 80's. Like 6 of them - all 18-20 year old girls. Anyway - a guy in a pickup pulls over and 4 of em hop in the bed and the girl that works for me and her best friend hop in the cab. The cab is a MESS - crap everywhere - so they ended up on the outside edge of the benchseat with a pile of crap between them and the driver. About 5 minutes later the girl who works for me looks over (she was on the door side) to see the driver with his junk hanging out going to town on himself! Obviously - they all got the heck out of that truck and ran away. Stupidstupidstupid. Luckily she's a lot wiser these days and lived through it.

Years ago my bother in law was flagged down by a woman with a small child. She said she was stranded and need a ride. Once she got in the car with her child she pulled a gun and forced him to drive to a bad part of town. She then robbed him of all his valuables. He managed to distract her and fled the car. He was later able to flag down a police officer. After that incident I decided I would never pick up anybody but would call the police.

Quote Originally Posted by DanRR View Post
    Years ago my bother in law was flagged down by a woman with a small child. She said she was stranded and need a ride. Once she got in the car with her child she pulled a gun and forced him to drive to a bad part of town. She then robbed him of all his valuables.
    And that's how easy it is. Preying on the unsuspecting: a scam as old as time. Your brother could just as easily have been murdered, had the robber merely had the will to do so. Am glad he got out of that one okay.

Needing a ride is fine. That's what taxis are for. Needing more-serious assistance is great. That's what police are for. But as your brother found out, sometimes nothing is so all-fired urgent to dictate that a person drop all practical defense measures in order to assist. It's often just as simple as heading into town to get help, and have it sent. Given the availability of cell phones, too, help's often only a phone call away. And such steps help to "out" the nefarious who'd otherwise do us damage. Short of someone dying of exposure, there's nothing wrong with a few minutes' delay to get proper help.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I don't know whether I would actually stop in this scenario, but if I did and the person said he needed gas, I would tell him I'll call the police to have them come out and help him. If someone is legitimately in need of help, I would think they'd appreciate me calling and not get bent out of shape.

My wife was home alone one evening and a woman rang our bell saying she needed help with her car and asked if she could she use our phone. My wife never opened the door but offered to call the police for the woman. The woman kept insisting she had to use the phone, and my wife was adamant that she would call the police for the woman. The woman walked away. Think about it - if you were in trouble and someone offered to call the police for you, wouldn't you be grateful?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    If someone is legitimately in need of help, I would think they'd appreciate me calling and not get bent out of shape.
    Yes. IMO, it's a decent litmus test to combine with all the other feedback one is getting when attempting to gauge a situation. The depraved and predatory seem to lose their cool at these times, with such arms-length dealings. Bummer for them, if they're taking such circumspection in such ways, but my job is to make it home to my family, secondarily to assist those around me. Calling for assistance, is helping; it's just not at all what the predatory and reactionary deem most useful to them at the time. IMO, a few minutes' wait for proper help isn't going to kill anyone, whereas completely lack of circumspection might well achieve exactly that. Win/win ain't a bad thing, though Win/lose might be the last thing that ever occurs for someone. Pass, on that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links