Driving home, late night, flagged down by guy in street

This is a discussion on Driving home, late night, flagged down by guy in street within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very late night, simple 2 way street in front of a park, few cars pass through this area at night. Like 1 car every 15 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Driving home, late night, flagged down by guy in street

Very late night, simple 2 way street in front of a park, few cars pass through this area at night. Like 1 car every 15 mins.
    Guy about mid 20s, medium build, 6' 2" waving histarically in middle of road.
    cz p06 in the glove compartment, LCP in pocket ATM.
    I slow down as I pass to evaluate, "maybe he was hurt or in trouble?", he seemed distressed so I stop and roll down the windows.
    his composure was a bit wired/distressed. I asked if he's OK. He replies "yes! Yes!" in a very animated gesture and starts walking up to me.
    But he kept walking closer to arms reach distance, so I rolled up the window partially and let off the brakes. "woah! Keep away from the car!" he said "dude, I just need gas. Can you take me to the gas station?" I tell him the gas station is just down the street really close. "c'mon man, you can take her with you there." he refers to someone at his car in the dark park entry street. "sorry, the gas station is just around the corner."
    my bs meter didn't go off, I was betting he did just need gas, but there was something really off about his composure. Plus the nearest gas wasn't more than a 15 min walk.
    He starts to get attitude then curses at me with foul language as I move on.
    He was so upset that he didn't stop flipping the bird, to flag down the next car behind me.
    Called the police. Operated confirmed police arrived on site.

I'm glad that I didn't assist the nut. Better safe than sorry. But if I had, my concealed carry wasn't optimized if there was a scurry in the car. Drawing the LCP with seatbelt on wouldve sucked. The "car gun" was locked in the glove compartment. Pepper spray is easily accessible though. Storing of a car gun, other than in the glove isn't an option for my car.

perhaps I'll just holster the car gun during transport, on these pocket carry days.
    Most days aren't limited to pocket carry btw.

What do you think of that kind of situation?

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    You drove by and then came back. In that time, I personally would have had a pistol in arms reach and easily drawable IF I had decided to stop.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by 1boredguy View Post
    ... but there was something really off about his composure. Plus the nearest gas wasn't more than a 15 min walk.

Called the police. Operated confirmed police arrived on site.

I'm glad that I didn't assist the nut. Better safe than sorry.

What do you think of that kind of situation?
    Sounds like you did fine. About what I would do.

If someone's truly in need of what they're claiming to need, then information about a nearby gas station is helping. IMO, the mere fact he went ballistic when you wouldn't allow an unknown, agitated 6'2" male into your car simply shows that the situation was more likely to be prep toward violent assault than not, confirming your suspicions.

Better safe than sorry? Yes. There are plenty of ways to help. You started with info, about the nearby station; you ended with a call to police to assist in the situation. Perfect.
    bspoon and marcclarke like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    It is a strange and dangerous world we live in today, even in your own neighborhood and area. As far a I am concerned if I should be in a similar situation and do not know the person I continue driving and call 911. As much as I prefer to be a good samaritan my personal safety trumps those desires. I hate to say this, but I would still continue and call 911 even if the situation appears to be an accident and no one else is in the vicinity. It is amazing what BGs will do these days to get you alone and defenseless and the golden rule just does not work anymore if you value your safety.
    JDE101 and GunGeezer like this.

In that situation...keep on driving and no communication.
    GunGeezer, Bad Bob and JDE101 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like to drive by and yell "Get a job!" out the window. You know, just for kicks.

In reality I think you sorta did the right thing by slowing down to evaluate to see if he was hurt. After that you didn't do what I would have done.
    CPanther95 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    That is the exact reason Ive quit stopping for people. I live in a very rural area. But you would be surprised at how many times people run out of gas or break down. I always carry a gallon of gas and a couple of gallon jugs of water. I used to stop all the time, But after a couple of run ins with drunks and druggies, now I just dial 911 and keep moving. I broke that rule for an old couple with an obviously flat tire. They were dressed in formal wear and standing on the side of the road. So I stopped and offered to put there spare on for them. They were on their way back from a wedding. The old guy had some kind of impediment [ possibly a recent stroke] but his wife was nice enough. After I get the tire off I realize that the spare is just as flat. so at that point I offer to take it to the nearest gas station and at least put some air in it to get them home. this is the point that the drunk son and grandson wake up from the back seat and start spouting off about Me wanting to steal there tires! So the old guy says "Take the grandson with you" And I told them no way either of the drunks were getting in my truck. At this point I wasn't real fond of the old guy either. So I gave them the option of calling a tow truck, calling the CHP, or filling their tire and putting it back on. About that time a CHP pulled up, So I explained the situation to him and drove away. Never again ! DR

You did the right thing. You never know what that person has in mind.
    GunGeezer likes this.

VIP Member
    Late night, dark street. Personally I wouldn't have stopped.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I've always been very appreciative of those who stopped for me, as have those I stopped for. Yes, a twenty year old should have figured out to walk "15 minutes" to the gas station, but maybe he didn't feel safe leaving "her" alone. No excuse for rudeness by any means.

This "me" attitude seems much more rampant in today's youth (One reason I retired from the service, tired of the "all about me" attitudes), probably an aftereffect of having things handed to them and instant gratification, and onlu encourages those who might have meant well to drive on by. Sometimes it takes a hard lesson for them to learn a little politeness goes a long way.
    shockwave, tcox4freedom and mg27 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Back in 96, I was driving back to base from the Marine Corps birthday ball with my wife and two year old son. Going through the dessert, we had to pass through a very small town (population 9) which had a small bridge to get into town from the direction we were coming. Partially blocking the bridge was a car with a guy in his mid twenties trying to wave me down. As I started to slow down, I noticed someone peek over the front seat, then drop back down. Needless to say this set off my danger sense and I started to speed up. The guy waving tried to step in front of the car and damn near got run over. Since then I am very wary about stopping to help anyone.
    You handled it perfectly.

Bonus points to anyone who can name the "town" I'm talking about!
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Continue driving by, don't stop. Take out your cell phone and call cops and give them the location of the nut job out flagging down traffic.
    GunGeezer, daveb413 and JDE101 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In that situation...keep on driving and no communication.

10-4. Keep on rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    That is the exact reason Ive quit stopping for people. I live in a very rural area. But you would be surprised at how many times people run out of gas or break down. I always carry a gallon of gas and a couple of gallon jugs of water. I used to stop all the time, But after a couple of run ins with drunks and druggies, now I just dial 911 and keep moving. I broke that rule for an old couple with an obviously flat tire. They were dressed in formal wear and standing on the side of the road. So I stopped and offered to put there spare on for them. They were on their way back from a wedding. The old guy had some kind of impediment [ possibly a recent stroke] but his wife was nice enough. After I get the tire off I realize that the spare is just as flat. so at that point I offer to take it to the nearest gas station and at least put some air in it to get them home. this is the point that the drunk son and grandson wake up from the back seat and start spouting off about Me wanting to steal there tires! So the old guy says "Take the grandson with you" And I told them no way either of the drunks were getting in my truck. At this point I wasn't real fond of the old guy either. So I gave them the option of calling a tow truck, calling the CHP, or filling their tire and putting it back on. About that time a CHP pulled up, So I explained the situation to him and drove away. Never again ! DR
    Anymore I dont stop unless I absolutley know the other party. Its just to dangerous any more.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    in that situation...keep on driving and no communication.
    +1 = right thing to do at that hour
    NRA member..... S&W mod. 58; Colt Gold Cup 1911 ( brite blued); 8 in Colt Python (nickle) ;/ SCAR 17s ( black); My ride... Jeep Grand Overland
    ..41 Magnum.........'cause shooting twice is silly.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links