My friend has interesting new neighbors... - Page 2

My friend has interesting new neighbors...

This is a discussion on My friend has interesting new neighbors... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice big German Shephard would do the trick.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: My friend has interesting new neighbors...

Nice big German Shephard would do the trick....

VIP Member
    I agree on the dog thing, assuming they can afford to care for it. A decent sized dog can be an excellent early warning system when she is home, as well as a protector when the home isn't occupied. Of course, nothing is going to stop a motivated criminal but it might go a long way to dissuade a not so motivated one.

The 38 spcl won't do her much good when she pulls into the driveway and the pistol is in the house defending the home. I carry a 38 when I go to pick my wife up at the train station, mostly so I can have it available as we exit the car at the end of the driveway. Not certain what constitutes open carry or concealed carry in SC, but you may suggest that she start carrying in the car, lawfully, as long as she knows how to use a 38 and has a holster that won't let her accidentally fire off a round when she exits the car.

I agree with the range time, if he or she is going to depend on the .38 then they need to know how. I also like the dog approach.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    The 38 will do fine, with practice. In SC she can keep the loaded weapon in her car in a glove box or console (cover closed) without a permit. On her own property she can carry it open (not recommended) or concealed without a permit. I highly recommend they both get permits. This is the only provision for open carry in SC, it is not permitted in public.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRO305 View Post
    Nice big German Shephard would do the trick....
    I'll see your german shephard, and raise you a nice system of motion sensor lights along with a nice steel frame door. She's got the .38, that should suffice for the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPreacher View Post
    A fellow preacher and close friend of mine lives in a mildly questionable neighborhood with his mother. Just a couple of months ago, some new neighbors moved in just across the street. Both he and his mother work different hours, so he's never there when she comes home. She has recently noticed that when she pulls into her driveway, a couple of men will step outside on the porch and watch her go inside the house. When she checks out the window once inside, they are already back inside the house. It definitely makes her feel uncomfortable knowing that these men come out specifically to watch her go inside by herself. Now her main home defense weapon is a .38 spl. My friend is contemplating on getting a firearm but has not yet. Apart from moving (which they can't afford to do in the first place), what should be the strategy here?
    The son should go over there and invite them to Church next Sunday and over for ice cream after. Get to know them, and you will be comfortable in asking why they do what they do. Besides you may be a good influence on them.
    Phillep Harding and tundra like this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    The son should go over there and invite them to Church next Sunday and over for ice cream after. Get to know them, and you will be comfortable in asking why they do what they do. Besides you may be a good influence on them.
    I agree, That is the Christian thing to do, and in some places would be the perfect solution. In their town, that very thing you suggested got an 80 yr old couple stabbed to death in their home by a 17 yr old boy.

With that said, I'll have to agree with the security suggestions that others have posted. In this case they should probably build a fort instead of a port.
    Phillep Harding likes this.
    Gun Control: Using both hands

PB2
    How old are the men watching her? Perhaps they think she is attractive. I've seen some very attractive mid-50's women. Of course, better safe than sorry but if they haven't done anything but watch, then all she can do is be aware and wait. What are the laws there on guns in vehicles? Taking the .38 with her and having it handy when she goes into the house would seem like a good idea.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Your friend probably knows better than us. After all he is getting many more clues to their behavior than what we have, but it sounds to me like the neighbors are merely paying attention to who comes and goes around their property. The fact that they go back inside once she is inside (or they indentify her as a resident of the house) tells me that they merely keeping an eye on the comings and goings around their abode. They might actually be looking out for your friend and his Mom. I think trying to get to know them would be a good idea.

Bake them some brownies. If they bring your dish back, they are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Maybe they are good folks and simply keeping an eye out on the older neighbor. Have they done anything else other than simply watch her get into the house? Have they met the neighbors to get a feel for them?

I wouldn't be quick to think the worst of folks because they do something quirky.
    I was actually thinking the same thing. Have the mother and son approched the new neighbors and welcomed them. Perhaps a simple discussion and the neighbors may volunteer that they are interested in starting a neighborhood watch program.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I apologize for hijack and understand the serious tone of the thread, but I just loved the words "mildly questionable neighborhood" and "nefarious". Reminds me of "upper middle management" when someone refers to their "mildly questionable job" that could be potentially "nefarious".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links