My friend has interesting new neighbors...

This is a discussion on My friend has interesting new neighbors... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A fellow preacher and close friend of mine lives in a mildly questionable neighborhood with his mother. Just a couple of months ago, some new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: My friend has interesting new neighbors...

My friend has interesting new neighbors...

A fellow preacher and close friend of mine lives in a mildly questionable neighborhood with his mother. Just a couple of months ago, some new neighbors moved in just across the street. Both he and his mother work different hours, so he's never there when she comes home. She has recently noticed that when she pulls into her driveway, a couple of men will step outside on the porch and watch her go inside the house. When she checks out the window once inside, they are already back inside the house. It definitely makes her feel uncomfortable knowing that these men come out specifically to watch her go inside by herself. Now her main home defense weapon is a .38 spl. My friend is contemplating on getting a firearm but has not yet. Apart from moving (which they can't afford to do in the first place), what should be the strategy here?
    Gun Control: Using both hands

2. Remove Ads

Check with the local police on the area and mention this scenario.
    Put motion-sensor lights in the back and front.
    House alarmed?
    Better doors/locks
    As we don't know the ages of the preacher and mother, its hard to suggest a different weapon, but anything would be better. A shotgun is always best for interior work (YMMV).
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxon06 View Post
    As we don't know the ages of the preacher and mother, its hard to suggest a different weapon, but anything would be better. A shotgun is always best for interior work (YMMV).
    Mother is in her mid-fifties, he is 28 and pretty strong. He's never shot a long gun before and has only ever shot a handgun once when he was 10.

So she pulls into the driveway, they come outside, she goes into her house, puts down her purse looks out the window and they are back inside. Are they inside their house for sure? Definately peculiar behavior. Do they seem to do it with anyone else in the 'hood? It doesn't sound good.

20 (or 12 if she can handle it) gauge pump shotgun? Get them both to the range and try some different things out.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    20 gauge I think.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "She has recently noticed..."

At least she's paying attention. That's a wise start. She needs to keep her radar on 360 degree scan until she's safely inside. One of those keychain pepper sprays wouldn't hurt either.
    DIRO305 and bigmacque like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPreacher View Post
    Mother is in her mid-fifties, he is 28 and pretty strong. He's never shot a long gun before and has only ever shot a handgun once when he was 10.
    Then times awaiting...

I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Maybe they are good folks and simply keeping an eye out on the older neighbor. Have they done anything else other than simply watch her get into the house? Have they met the neighbors to get a feel for them?

I wouldn't be quick to think the worst of folks because they do something quirky.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Maybe they are good folks and simply keeping an eye out on the older neighbor. Have they done anything else other than simply watch her get into the house? Have they met the neighbors to get a feel for them?

I wouldn't be quick to think the worst of folks because they do something quirky.
    And maybe you never assume otherwise, trust your instincts. None of the above suggestions are anything more than a better preparation.
    mg27 likes this.

I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Need to make an attempt to vary her schedule, and bring home a couple young men friends from time to time.....you know what I mean, not that
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Depending on whether your county or town participates, you could take a look here to see if there's any shady stuff going on in their neighborhood: SpotCrime Crime Map
    ArmedPreacher likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

- Agreed. Have they taken the time to introduce themselves to their neighbors? It may be hard to believe, but not everyone has nefarious intentions for you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Agreed. Have they taken the time to introduce themselves to their neighbors? It may be hard to believe, but not everyone has nefarious intentions for you.
    I would agree, but the community they live in is known for nefarious at times. The home they moved from just a few blocks over was in front of a crack house. I would say move, but it's economically a forgone conclusion, so it's one of those situations where they need to straighten out their security issues around the house. I talked with him tonight and he revealed to me that some things have started to become missing in the yard. Bad sign.

On a plus side I took him window shopping for an HD weapon and he's in love with a mossberg 500 20 gauge. He's on the right track.
    joker1 likes this.

Preacher,

You might look over this thread.

Affordable home video surveillance system.
    ArmedPreacher likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Since they have different schedules, a good dog would be a real asset. Have them go to a rescue shelter and have him ask his "real Boss" for guidance and discernment and pick a dog. Dogs who have been rescued seem to know it, and they can be exceptionally loyal (and protective). They could also ask the local PD to do a few more drive-bys.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links