What 'condition white' looks like

This is a discussion on What 'condition white' looks like within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; See link below. A bunch of teens likely playing 'knockout'...quite brutal actually. (Drop down to the end of the article for the video.) The teacher ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: What 'condition white' looks like

What 'condition white' looks like

See link below.
    A bunch of teens likely playing 'knockout'...quite brutal actually.
    (Drop down to the end of the article for the video.)
    The teacher clearly did the wrong thing, but what would you do if you found yourself in the teacher's position.
    Turn around? Move over further and keep walking? Stop and wait for them to pass?
    And each of those actions may also be viewed as provocative.

Jim Addlespurger: CAPA teacher attacked by teens in alley | Mail Online
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

2. Remove Ads

I think first of all stay out of the big cities, if you can't do that then stay out of alleys, if you can"t do that then carry a weapon and be prepared at all times. You could almost see this coming. Maby I'm wrong but I would have stood against the alley wall with my hand on my weapon until they were gone..

You could see it coming because you knew it was coming. It was a teacher walking past a group of students... if a teacher stands against a wall clutching his gun every time he passes a group of students he probably needs to not be a teacher in a big city.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

One of the comments nailed it: this is a despicable and cowardly act. The teen delivered a sucker punch with his friends there to back him up if the guy fought back. Doubt any of those girls would have the brass to go toe to toe with any one on their own.

Hope for a speedy recovery for the victim. As if his job wasn't thank-less enough.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    You could see it coming because you knew it was coming. It was a teacher walking past a group of students... if a teacher stands against a wall clutching his gun every time he passes a group of students he probably needs to not be a teacher in a big city.
    Yeah! served him well to trust the "student" didn't it?

VIP Member
    Unfortunately being a school teacher he's totally at their mercy. No way is he allowed to carry any type of defensive weapon, not that in a situation where a sucker punch comes out of no where could he have used one.

The animals need to be dealt with in a way that sends a message.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Things like this can happen anywhere. I constantly tell my kids that the name for people walking around talking on phones or listening to music is "victim." Two weeks ago I almost learned how true it is (and I know better).

My office is in a city about 20 minutes south of the San Francisco airport (I'm there a week or two every month). Two blocks away in one direction is a very nice area. Two blocks in the opposite direction is a completely different story.

I was going to head out and get a coffee (in the nice area), and received a call as I was leaving about an important project. I was walking and talking, and when the call ended I noticed that I had walked a few blocks into the not so good area. As I was putting my phone away I noticed two larger guys in their early 20's coming across the street at me (one directly, one about 50' away at an angle). I squared off, looked right at them, and they immediately stopped and just looked at me. After 10 seconds or so they turned around and moved to the corner. I turned around and walked in the other direction, casually looking over my shoulder on a regular basis.

Nothing happened, but I'm sure that if I would have been talking on my phone another minute or two that those guys would have jumped me. I'm normally very alert (condition yellow), but for whatever reason I messed-up and almost paid for it. It was a great reminder, and a good learning lesson for my family.

BTW, this was about 10:30 in the morning on a weekday - not a time when I would have expected something like this to occur. And, being California I am not allowed to carry there (all the more reason to be alert).

That was my personal condition white wake-up call.

They're "students," alright: students of human behavior. And they've learned the one lesson to a "T," that sheep are easy to slaughter, for grins, criminal gain or any other reason.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I work at a university and I am absolutely amazed at the number of 'victims' walking around with ear buds or yacking into a phone. I am certain that they are deliberately and actively tuning out the world around them, not just being stupid and oblivious. I also see them walking alone in wooded areas and on sidewalks next to tall grass and weeds. Fortunately for them, the univ proper is very low crime, but there some areas just off campus that are downright scary.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The education those students need can't be put in writing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I work at a university and I am absolutely amazed at the number of 'victims' walking around with ear buds or yacking into a phone. I am certain that they are deliberately and actively tuning out the world around them, not just being stupid and oblivious. I also see them walking alone in wooded areas and on sidewalks next to tall grass and weeds. Fortunately for them, the univ proper is very low crime, but there some areas just off campus that are downright scary.
    Yeah, it's a shame folks can't walk around peacefully enjoying a bit of music without fear of being brutilized. It's a fine world we live in. I guess it's the victims' fault, isn't it?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It seems to me that there's a fine line between avoiding getting 'clocked' and starting something even bigger by being purposely confrontational.
    Finely tuned steet smarts would be important in finding that balance. (e.g. how you carry yourself, the type of eye-contact you make, body language, etc.)
    The last thing you want to do is to provoke a confrontation by somehow 'disrespecting' one or more of the group.
    Gunning down one or more 'unharmed' teenagers would not go well for the shooter (especially if there was no video camera recording the event.)
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

After watching the video numerous times I believe that employing SA could have prevented him from getting sucker punched. But remember, watching a video like this it is easy to see it coming because we already know that it is.

Clutching your gun because you have one isn't going to ensure you will survive every situation. The BG will usually plan his attack to catch you off guard. BGs are cowards and use surprise and control to their advantage. In this particular case if the guy had made eye contact, given them a wider berth and adjusted his posture they most likely would have passed him by. Walking around with his head down, paper in one hand and briefcase in the other in an alley just advertised him as a target.
    tcox4freedom and Brass63 like this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I guess it's the victims' fault, isn't it?
    In this case, I think it was. The guy is obviously clueless. He doesn't slow down. He doesn't veer to the right to give himself a little more space between himself and the "herd." He has both hands occupied. He is walking down an alley in a big U.S. city.
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

Well... the good news is, as the drones return from military deployment, there will be video of all of this, and everything else...

Is it just me (or was the video edited to look like)? The video seemed to zoom in on the victim and the criminals.

Regardless, there seems to have been a time when we didn't have to go around in condition yellow all the time... And in large metro areas, alleys are frequently used as shortcuts, and in some there are actually (legal) businesses, shops etc. that have their "storefronts" in alleys.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links